Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Hunting the Northeast - Guidance on the relationship of not posted = huntable

Started by Delmar ODonnell, May 18, 2023, 09:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmar ODonnell

I want to preface this with saying I am NOT looking in any way for any direction as to specific locations, regions, or even states to hunt.

I was wondering if someone with experience hunting the Northeast could provide any helpful tips concerning hunting private land that is not posted. Being from the South, this concept of hunting unposted private land is completely foreign to me. I understand it is a courtesy to ask the landowner, even if not posted, and I intend to do so.

Other than that, I was wondering if anyone had any helpful information, or perhaps encountered a scenario they were unsure of at the time. For example, what if the piece of property does not have a residence on it, and the owner is not reasonably ascertainable? And did you primarily hunt, or intend to hunt, public land, and only asked for permission when you saw or heard a bird on a specific property, or would you ask in advance on property that looked promising on a map?

I've never been much of a "door knocker," but have obtained permission organically through casual conversation. I would really appreciate any commentary you could provide regarding general mindset of how you approach deciding where to hunt when everything not posted is open to hunting. My initial thoughts are to plan on hunting the public land just due to my ignorance of hunting unposted private. Thank you for your time!

Tommy Strutsalot

Here's your first piece of advice.  I'm from PA, which many think of as the Northeast (this forum has a vast audience).  I will tell you that the New England culture of posted land does not extend south, to even states like here and New York.  In many northeastern states, I would not recommend stepping on any private land, posted or not, without permission. 

That being said, a buddy and I went up to New England where the culture is congruent with what you're seeking advice on.

While it is the culture, and it was affirmed to us by locals, we reflexively sought and received permission for private access the old fashioned way.  Had to stare down some mean a** dogs at one point but it was worth it. 

There were some longbeards in a completely unposted and remote pasture that we drove past on the way home every day.  We discussed running in there and getting em.  We did try, unsuccessfully, to get in touch with the landowner.  We never hunted those turkeys even though they were right in our laps.   We had gained a good deal of private and public to run around on for a few days.  After many miles, we did end up finding a good one.  Just felt better knowing that we had affirmative rights to be there.   

To each his own, and it is indeed the letter of the law in some of those states.  Good luck!

turkeyfool

In Nebraska, if it is unposted, I don't believe that gives you the ability to hunt. Other states yes, Nebraska I don't think so.

With that said, if you door knock, you can a yes almost anywhere if you knock 5,6,7 doors

Sir-diealot

Here in NY if you step on land uninvited and you will if lucky get a very heavy fine, if unlucky you will go to jail.
Here is my advice, we already have a bad rap we don't deserve, so why make it harder in the rest of us, just don't do it.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

GobbleNut

I agree those New England state's situations are unique,...and would leave those of us that are not used to those sorts of regulations in a quandary as to how to approach hunting there. 

My initial question would be:  What constitutes (legal) posting of a property?  Is there a requirement that some sort of legally acceptable "posted" sign be placed at specific intervals along a property line such that someone who was not familiar with the area/property could not inadvertently enter a property that was posted because there was no sign visible at their entry point?  In addition, if someone were to enter a property mistakenly because they did not see any posted signs only to find out later that it was posted at some other, possibly obscure, location, what is their liability?  ...Just curious as to how that whole thing works?...

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Delmar ODonnell

Thank you all for the replies. I realize my intention to not name states may have inadvertantly caused confusion.

Sir-diealot, I am specifically referencing states north of NY whose regulations expressly state that pursuant to long-standing culture, all state, county, and private property not otherwise posted is open to hunting... the regulations/published guide also provides that it is best to ask for permission as a courtesy even if not posted. Further, to the extent you read my post as me entertaining the idea of trespassing, respectfully, you are mistaken. Being from Mississippi, many "hunters" (read "poachers") advertise and brag about the number of fences they cross to kill a turkey. I despise this, which is why I am trying to better understand culture/regulations I am not familiar with.

Gobblenut, those are great points. The Guide I looked at didn't provide the legal requirements for land to be considered posted, but as with most things, I am going to err on the side of caution. Too much land to hunt to be married to a spot where there is any ambiguity as to permission to be there.

Turkeyfool, my apologies, I meant Northeast by "NE." not Nebraska, but that again is my fault.

Yoder409

Quote from: Tommy Strutsalot on May 18, 2023, 10:21:34 AM
Here's your first piece of advice.  I'm from PA, which many think of as the Northeast (this forum has a vast audience).  I will tell you that the New England culture of posted land does not extend south, to even states like here and New York.  In many northeastern states, I would not recommend stepping on any private land, posted or not, without permission.

Also from PA.  The above is VERY solid advice.

That being said............ A little door knocking COULD go a long way.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

turkeyfool

For some reason, I thought this post initially said Nebraska. If people don't start knocking more, the current laws are gonna go away and it'll become NY and PA. More so, if the JuntHuntClub continues to post and people keep racing up here, it's gonna be gone within 10 years. Almost guarantee it

Dtrkyman

Call the local warden where you intend to go...problem solved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeybutt

I'm from Pa and it's plain and simple no mater what state I'm in.
Posted or not, somebody owns that land and you have a responsibility to at least reach out to the land owner and ask permission. It's the right thing to do!
If you don't have written permission from the land owner to hunt you don't just trespass and invade their property!

g8rvet

Until this past year in the province of Sask, if it was not fenced or posted, it was open hunting.  We never followed that rule and have always asked for permission first because it is the right and polite thing to do regardless of the law. 

I did not know it was that way in the NE. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

mspaci

I know guys from Maine that will hunt anywhere thats unposted. A few other states may be that way to. I was told that if you post in some places you pay more in taxes than open land.

Rapscallion Vermilion

I've lived and hunted in a couple of the northeast states.  Be aware that some towns have a town-wide ordinance that supersedes the general state laws on implied permission and prohibits hunting on private property without permission. 

I think New Hampshire did a great job with their FAQ that addresses a lot of the questions raised here.

https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/landshare/faqs.html

Old Timer

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 18, 2023, 11:21:56 AM
Here in NY if you step on land uninvited and you will if lucky get a very heavy fine, if unlucky you will go to jail.
Here is my advice, we already have a bad rap we don't deserve, so why make it harder in the rest of us, just don't do it.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk
Could not say it better myself. Posted or not with out permission things can go south in a hurry especially in this day and age. I am a door knocker and courtesy pays off. I hunted one of my cousins property today and I called him before hand. I lived with his family on the farm as a teenager. He told me i do not have to ask and my response was I will though. My take is owners appreciate it. Good day.