turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Reflex Sights and Astigmatism??

Started by BDeal, May 13, 2023, 10:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

This is my first year using a reflex sight (FF3). Sometimes the dot looks perfectly round and clear but at other times it looks very distorted and sometimes appears like a squiggly line that is being drawn as I look at it or I get a significant starburst effect. Sometimes when I take my glasses of it looks clearer but not always. I'm thinking about trying a green dot or green circle dot next year to see if that addresses the issue. I'm loooking at Holosun and the Swampfox Kingslayer. For those dealing with vision issues, has anyone switched from red to green and had an improvement in clarity and reduction in visual distortion?

Thank You!!

Tail Feathers

The green doesn't flare on me like the red with my astigmatism.  But the red doesn't flare enough to make me miss.  Just put the middle of that red shape on the neck and let one rip. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Big Jeremy

I battled this issue for years. After trying a Burris FF3 for several seasons, I went to a Vortex strikefire that had an etched reticle that could be illuminated either red or green. I really liked the etched reticle for astigmatism purposes, but the sight was much more bulky than I wanted.

I then went to the kingslayer swampfox with the green circle dot, and it has been my sweet spot. Doesn't flare out on me, it's really low-profile, and I just love it. I have two of them now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDeal

Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 13, 2023, 11:00:24 AM
The green doesn't flare on me like the red with my astigmatism.  But the red doesn't flare enough to make me miss.  Just put the middle of that red shape on the neck and let one rip.

Same thing here. I don't think it would make me miss either unless the bird was very close. Then it might but doubtful. Are you using a green dot or green circle dot?

BDeal

Quote from: Big Jeremy on May 13, 2023, 11:11:30 AM
I battled this issue for years. After trying a Burris FF3 for several seasons, I went to a Vortex strikefire that had an etched reticle that could be illuminated either red or green. I really liked the etched reticle for astigmatism purposes, but the sight was much more bulky than I wanted.

I then went to the kingslayer swampfox with the green circle dot, and it has been my sweet spot. Doesn't flare out on me, it's really low-profile, and I just love it. I have two of them now.

This is great to hear and this is the sight I'm leaning towards. The only thing I don't like so far is that it turns off every 4 hours. Wish that was closer to 10 hours as I usually hunt more than 4 hours at a time and will need to remember to turn it back on all the time. Has this been an issue for you?

Tail Feathers

Quote from: BDeal on May 13, 2023, 11:37:50 AM
Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 13, 2023, 11:00:24 AM

Same thing here. I don't think it would make me miss either unless the bird was very close. Then it might but doubtful. Are you using a green dot or green circle dot?
Kingslayer green circle dot.  I killed my first bird this year very early, right off the roost on a very cloudy day.  That circle dot puts a lot of green light out at your eye.  You really have to turn that down early in the day and watch to keep it at the right brightness level thru the day.  Other than that, no problems.  Killed two birds with that sight and another with a red dot on another gun.  Next sight will likely be a green dot or red dot only.  I'm not in love with the circle part and the extra light it brings when looking through the sight.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Big Jeremy

I've had no issues with it turning off. As Tailfeathers mentioned, I start a day out with it on a really low setting and adjust it brighter as the day goes on. I've not had a scenario in which it's been off when I needed it.

I do turn it off any time I get in the truck to drive to another spot, so anytime I get out, the timer resets.

BDeal

Quote from: Big Jeremy on May 13, 2023, 11:55:12 AM
I've had no issues with it turning off. As Tailfeathers mentioned, I start a day out with it on a really low setting and adjust it brighter as the day goes on. I've not had a scenario in which it's been off when I needed it.

I do turn it off any time I get in the truck to drive to another spot, so anytime I get out, the timer resets.

Does this sight have the auto adjust brightness feature like the FF3?

Big Jeremy

It does not. I prefer it that way, actually. The auto-brightness setting never seemed to be what I wanted with the ff3, and I never used it.

BDeal

Quote from: Big Jeremy on May 13, 2023, 12:15:52 PM
It does not. I prefer it that way, actually. The auto-brightness setting never seemed to be what I wanted with the ff3, and I never used it.

That is likely a deal breaker for me. I really like the auto adjust feature and use it a lot. Does anyone know of a specific green dot model that has the auto adjust feature?

Big Jeremy

The Holosun 507 C X2 with green reticle may be what you want, then.

BDeal

Quote from: Big Jeremy on May 13, 2023, 12:43:40 PM
The Holosun 507 C X2 with green reticle may be what you want, then.

Thank You!

Gog1015

I switched to the Holosun 507 green this year, I have terrible astigmatism's wear corrective contacts. I have used Burris fast fire 3 for numerous years. The green seems to be better for me but it does not 100% do away with the starburst. The best way for me is to keep the dot in the lowest light setting that I can still see. The circle and dot mode is probably the clearest for me but I'm not a huge fan of the circle.

BDeal

Quote from: Gog1015 on May 15, 2023, 04:18:06 PM
I switched to the Holosun 507 green this year, I have terrible astigmatism's wear corrective contacts. I have used Burris fast fire 3 for numerous years. The green seems to be better for me but it does not 100% do away with the starburst. The best way for me is to keep the dot in the lowest light setting that I can still see. The circle and dot mode is probably the clearest for me but I'm not a huge fan of the circle.

You can't select between the circle dot and plain green dot on the same model can you??

Thank You!

SM

Quote from: BDeal on May 16, 2023, 11:37:13 AM
Quote from: Gog1015 on May 15, 2023, 04:18:06 PM

You can't select between the circle dot and plain green dot on the same model can you??

Thank You!

Yes you can on the 507c. Just a dot,just a circle,and a combo circle dot. I just wish I would have got the green version,it's been a great sight though.