OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do Tom Turkeys Dust Bathe??

Started by wvboy, May 11, 2023, 03:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvboy

I may be showing my ignorance here, but this is a serious question I've often thought about.  I am 50 and been hunting them since I was 8.. I have seen many hens dust, but never a Tom or a Jake for that matter.. I've killed some toms over a dust bowl in my life, but never actually witnessed a male turkey doing it.. and I just did a quick youtube search and all I can find are hens dusting.. it seems logical that all turkeys dust to keep ticks off etc.. but just never seen it and wondered if others have.

Thanks,
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

In all my years I have never seen an Adult gobbler, but i have seen a Jake ....

Sir-diealot

Yes, it is a picture I very much want to capture!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Clif Owen

Pretty sure Jim Spencer talks about one he saw dusting in one of his Bad Birds books. I think he called the bird Pig Pen after the Peanuts character.

Dtrkyman

They must not during the spring?  I have never seen it, had a camera on a dust bowl for a while, all hens!

When I first started hunting turkeys I hunted dust bowls often, never paid off!

mcw3734

Yes, they can. Saw a gobbler dusting in the late afternoon just last weekend. Having said that, it was the first time I'd ever seen that happen.

ferocious calls

Young male turkeys will dust often. Adult toms very seldom dust. Have raised 500+ Eastern toms. Never saw a 2 yr old or older Tom dust. I like to see a video of an adult Tom dusting.

ferocious calls

Come to think of it, have not seen the dust fly off an adult Tom when wing flapping.

ChesterCopperpot

Whether you ascribe to the idea that turkeys do it because of mites or do it because of feather alignment and separation, toms would suffer from the same issues hens suffer from and dust accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

I 100% agree they dust, but they must be nocturnal while doing so...haha

runngun

I have seen Rio Gobblers' "squat" under a cedar bush with hens right next to them dusting so much it looked like a mini dust storm.

Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Mtd69

i have watched them dust in my yard in the summer my yard is very sandy soil right next to a field

RutnNStrutn

I have seen toms dust, but infrequently compared to hens.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE