OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thoughts on killing doubles (two hunters together)

Started by Mountainburd, May 10, 2023, 06:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justin.arps

Quote from: Zobo on May 11, 2023, 09:24:55 PM
Quote from: justin.arps on May 11, 2023, 09:14:05 PM

My son and I have doubled twice now, both were very close encounters. First was 14 yds the next was 22 both were amazing experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful! Congratulations!!!!
Thank you.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Marc on May 11, 2023, 01:32:37 PM
Really depends on the situation.

If I am hunting an area that has a high population of birds, and I call a bachelor group of toms in while hunting with my daughter....  Yes, I will take the double.

Hunting the area I was this season...  Large area, sparsely populated with birds that are spread out...  I would probably not opt to take that double, so that I have birds being raised to shoot in future hunting seasons.

It has been my impression, that if too many toms are taken from an area, the hens move out to new areas as well...  And maybe they do not return next year either.  A good property can turn into a poor one the following season, by overharvesting.

I do tire of hearing "If it is legal, it is OK..."  We should be the stewards of our sport.  Hunt ethically, responsibly, with conservation in mind...  Just cause it would be legal to shoot the last breeding tom on a property, does not mean it would be the right thing to do.

My reasons for conservation, or harvesting animals are completely selfish.  Of course I want to go home with a bird, but I also want somewhere that holds game in the future.

Well stated, Marc.  Completely agree.  Per the original question posed, I have no problem with two hunters doubling on gobblers,...IF the turkey population is healthy and is sustaining itself.  Of course, that is a judgement call, but each of us needs to be conscious of the potential repercussions of our actions as hunters. 

Regarding the issue of individual hunters shooting two birds at once, I am completely against that,...period,...even when the turkey population can withstand that attitude.  Personally, I have passed on pulling the trigger many times and let birds walk just because I was concerned I would kill two gobblers with one shot,...even when it was perfectly legal to do so. As far as I am concerned, anybody that shoots two birds at once goes from being a "turkey hunter" after the first bird falls,...to being a "game hog" or "body counter" when the second goes down. 

To me, turkey hunting is about enjoying each individual hunt to the fullest,...while still maintaining some restraint on the "blood lust".  In addition, there is not one of us here that our survival is dependent upon having wild turkey meat in the freezer.  In today's hunting climate, that second gobbler potentially staying alive to possibly ensure the posterity of the population is much more important than someone shooting him just to feed his ego with a filled tag.

My personal outlook is that in states with multiple bag limits, there should always be a one-bird-per-day regulation.  My state allows hunters to shoot both gobblers on the same day/hunt.  Every year, I petition our G&F Department to change that regulation to one-per-day.  I am hoping that one day they will understand the reasoning why... 

...And, as always,...just my personal opinion,...don't nobody need to get their snood in a knot... :)  :angel9:

Prospector

Have doubled myself a few times I can remember. Two of those were with one shot. Over the last several seasons passed on opportunities to do it again. Main reason is obviously ethical the other? Carrying two gobblers out esp a long way is at least 4X harder than one. As far as two hunters doing it? I'm cool with that. It's not easy to do sometimes. My son and I have done it once. I did see a vid one time where two guys killed like 4-5.... basically shot till their guns were empty. Not going to lie, I found that distasteful. Yet it was legal so I can't mount a huge campaign against it other than my own feelings. Nowadays I'm content with one doing the right thing at the right time and me pulling it off. The other bird or birds get the pass.... Until tomorrow anyway.
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

runngun

I also killed 2 in one shot several years ago.  It's totally my fault, but I definitely didn't think that I would hit the 2nd one. I was shooting my Grandpa's old gun. He had passed away in 1977, and it's a Savage Bolt action 13 gauge.  Definitely don't want to take 2 in 1 because I was a mile and a half from the truck , with 2 turkeys and a shotgun without a sling. WHEW!!! THAT WAS A HAUL. 

Have a good one and May God bless, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Beards and Hooks

I think it's awesome and a great moment for two buddies, father and son, etc. I've never had the opportunity, usually hunt by myself but wouldn't hesitate if given the opportunity.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

kytrkyhntr

Me and my pops have done it, I did it with a good friend this year. Will do it again if given a chance. It's about the memories and none better than that
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: kytrkyhntr on May 14, 2023, 08:34:19 PM
Me and my pops have done it, I did it with a good friend this year. Will do it again if given a chance. It's about the memories and none better than that
I agree with this.  I have a Turkey hunting mentor if you will that got me into it.  If we ever have a chance to double up we are going to take it.  The reality where we live (North Florida) hunting public land does not give a lot of opportunities to take a gobbler let alone two. Since 2016 I have only seen two birds together once. That was two Jakes. Never seen two toms together in the spring unless they where strutting in a farmers field or during the off season.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

joey46

Throw this one in from 2019.  Not our first double or our last.  Just one of the few where someone was around to take a "double" picture. 

Hook hanger

Killing doubles with hunting partners is what its all about. Now a single guy killin 2+ birds out of a group of toms i say good deal. Less intrusion into the woods the better get in and get out of the woods faster.  Most people don't think about hens that are trying to nest that they are actually disturbing.  I've personally shot 3 a few times and 4 a time or two. These farms still have excellent turkey numbers and have had them for many years.

Tail Feathers

When I hunt with a partner, we go over the plan in case of a true double.  3,2,1, bang.

Always have the plan, never had the opportunity to use it.  I may double, depending on the situation and location.  I don't think those happen real often.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

RutnNStrutn

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with 2 hunters doubling up on 2 gobblers. In my opinion, it doesn't happen often enough to be an issue. I've hunted a little over 30 years, and I normally hunt alone. In all that time I've only doubled with a friend twice, and doubled by myself once. 2 birds, 1 shot. I did it once, I wouldn't do it again. Especially nowadays, with the decline in populations. When I doubled alone, it was in SC back when they had a 5 bird limit. I also never took 5 birds even when it was legal.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

aclawrence

What about a group of guys shooting six gobblers in one spot at a time. I saw one of our local podcast guys post the other day. They shot five gobblers in a group and had them hanging up. He made some comment about using them as decoys. They were trying to call in one more bird. The whole thing just rubbed me the wrong way but that's just me.  I left a comment and he said there were ten more gobblers in the area. That's great but I take it as you wiped out almost 50% of the gobblers lol.

GobbleNut

Quote from: aclawrence on May 20, 2023, 09:52:58 AM
What about a group of guys shooting six gobblers in one spot at a time. I saw one of our local podcast guys post the other day. They shot five gobblers in a group and had them hanging up. He made some comment about using them as decoys. They were trying to call in one more bird. The whole thing just rubbed me the wrong way but that's just me.  I left a comment and he said there were ten more gobblers in the area. That's great but I take it as you wiped out almost 50% of the gobblers lol.

One word:  INEXCUSABLE!!!

Kyle_Ott

As a general rule, doubles are a terrible idea.  But I think there has to be a caveat inserted there that allows consideration for the health of the turkey population in your area and the timing of the breeding cycle.

I will not take part in a double early in the season or in any place where turkey populations are not exceptionally high.  Research now indicates that turkey social dynamics are complex, that a hen has to "accept" a gobbler as a suitor and that removing dominant gobblers causes a massive social restructuring that can take time.

While a lot of folks are loyal to the "If it's legal, it's OK" thought process, there is no doubt removing 2 birds simultaneously is not in the best interest of your turkey population.

joey46

Quote from: aclawrence on May 20, 2023, 09:52:58 AM

A year or so ago we had a few guys drop off this forum over what was then the latest controversy over a picture someone had posted of several gobblers taken on an Indian Reservation.  All were legal birds but just IMO the picture made them look piggish and the hunt almost too easy.   Wack'um and stack'um photos rarely put hunters in a good light.
There is so much difference in a "buddy double" and taking 6 birds from the same spot that it shouldn't be in the same conversation.  My "general rule" is that doubles are not a terrible idea in our area.  We hunt private land, some which we only can access opening weekend, and have for over 16 years.  The population seems stable so we will continue to take the opportunities presented without the least bit of guilt feelings.
Just to add - this is certainly turning into a sanctimonious bunch at times.