OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Striker

Started by Sir-diealot, May 10, 2023, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

What would be your pick for best striker on a green anodized aluminum pot call? If nothing goes wrong the glue should be all set on the one I am making Thursday night and can go out on Friday morning, I do not know anyone with one though so I don't know what striker to use with it and could use some help. Thanks guys. Here's a picture I took last week of a Jake just to give you something to look at.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

rakkin6

I pretty much use JLH strikers and on my green anodized aluminums with his strikers I like his Blue Mahoe, Heavy Hickory and Frog wood.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sir-diealot

Quote from: rakkin6 on May 10, 2023, 01:00:36 AM
I pretty much use JLH strikers and on my green anodized aluminums with his strikers I like his Blue Mahoe, Heavy Hickory and Frog wood.

Thank you much. I believe I have a hickory from him though I am unsure it is heavy hickory and I have his frogwood as well I do believe. I will try them after they have dried.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

rakkin6

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 10, 2023, 01:03:43 AM

Thank you much. I believe I have a hickory from him though I am unsure it is heavy hickory and I have his frogwood as well I do believe. I will try them after they have dried.
Just my experience with the green aluminium is not to rough it up. It seems a little coarser to me. Straight alcohol pad has worked for me.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sir-diealot

Quote from: rakkin6 on May 10, 2023, 01:05:37 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 10, 2023, 01:03:43 AM

Just my experience with the green aluminium is not to rough it up. It seems a little coarser to me. Straight alcohol pad has worked for me.

Thank you very much, glad to hear that before I mess it up.

John Koenig:

ltprod

JLH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManfromGreenSwamp

Ask Jeff, he's so helpful.
He knows so much about his own strikers, then you can get one or more while in contact.

I don't have or run a green anodized aluminum pot, so I will not comment on that .

"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

btodd00

I have a pistol creek that came with a diamond wood type striker and it works great, I agree with not scuffing it up it works great without doing anything

My JLH frog wood works with it also

Dtrkyman

Matt Mclain makes some fine strikers.

Sir-diealot

First off thank you for all the replies. I may have intercommunicated what I am asking, I am more asking for type of striker (Wood type) than brand name of striker, I would like to know if any of what I already have will work well with it. I am rather low on money right as I just spent 372 on my driving/distance lenses for my glasses and have to spend another 310 next month so will not be able to spend anymore money until after June and then I have to fix my camera as the screen broke. I do indeed agree though, Jeff makes some nice strikers.

These are what I have right of hand, they are not all from Jeff though. I have many others, these are just what I have written down.

Stuckey Have:
Amazonian Rosewood
Black Locust
Bloodwood
Cocobolo
Custom Colonial Chestnut Dymondwood
Diamondwood of some veriation
Hickory
Ipe
Jatoba
Kingwood
Macassar Ebony
Persimmon
Purple Heart
Spalted maple and Wenge
Tulipwood
Wenge
Yellowheart

Want
Bocote
Bubinga
Dogwood?
Holly
Katalox
Monkeywood
Olivewood
Osage Orange
Pecan
Red Cedar
Rio Grande Rutland Dymonwood
Snakewood
Zebrawood

JHL
Cocobolo
Frogwood
Hondoaran Rosewood???
Ipe
Spalted Maple Hickory
???
Wenge
I have more but not labeled.

David Halloran
Wormy Persimmon
Ipe x2
Purple Heart
Jatoba
Wenge
Yellow Heart

Lyman
Tulipwood

Neal
Dymondwood

Can't remmber his name, his son is now making strikers and has 3 rings at top of is strikers instead of two like his father had.
Cocobolo
Ipe
Tulipwood

Here is a picture of the last one I can't remember his name and both totes are full of strikers not mentioned so I am sure I have something that will work, I am just trying to narrow it down some.

John Koenig:

3bailey3

Great pic Steve of the jake!

Sir-diealot

John Koenig:

Dtrkyman

I think you got it covered!

Greg Massey

I would just sit down and try some of the different strikers you already have and find what you like in how it plays and sounds on that surface ...  You can pretty much take any pot call and about 6 different striker woods and play any call ...

ManfromGreenSwamp

You have enough. Plenty enough

Try them all and have a friend listen. Record them play them back

"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button