turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mississippi proposing changes: Mandatory Tagging and Slight Season Adjustment

Started by deerhunt1988, May 09, 2023, 07:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

Looks like Mississippi is trying to get mandatory tagging and moving season opener back to Saturday closest to March 20 (Which gives a potential season opener of March 17 - 23). You can view the proposed regulations AND COMMENT YOUR SUPPORT/OPPOSITION at the following link:

https://www.mdwfp.com/apps/rules-regulations/

I encourage all you Mississippi residents to comment on each proposal!

Paulmyr

I'm not A Ms resident but if I were I'd like to have the option to get after them with a start date midweek before the Arkansas mob shows up on the weekend.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

slave601

I'm a Mississippi resident and hunt public land 80% of season. I'm a contract worker and I take off from the first of March till mid May every year so I hunt every single day of Mississippi season. This is a step in the right direction. Mandatory tagging and move the season back till it at least matches up with the Bama opener! We've had a few good hatches and starting to have some hope for Turkey populations from what it's been for the past 5 years or so.
"thinnin the flock"

3bailey3

Ms resident and I thought tagging was already mandatory? A moved back season would have been bad this season because it stared early, I would like to see some on the end cut out and also would like to see a 1:00 cut off, I hunted Missouri this season for the first time and I think the 1:00 down time would take some of the pressure off.

slave601

Quote from: 3bailey3 on May 09, 2023, 09:33:22 PM
Ms resident and I thought tagging was already mandatory? A moved back season would have been bad this season because it stared early, I would like to see some on the end cut out and also would like to see a 1:00 cut off, I hunted Missouri this season for the first time and I think the 1:00 down time would take some of the pressure off.
Mandatory call in but it should go to a system like Kansas. A pic must be taken uploaded and tagged before it's moved. A 1pm cutoff would be nice. Missouri has a good system in my opinion
"thinnin the flock"

wchadw

Quote from: 3bailey3 on May 09, 2023, 09:33:22 PM
It's supposed to be since 2019 Call in or by app/online
Not sure how they let non residents know that? Or how they would enforce it?
I been reporting mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wchadw

As a resident I hope they change it to start close to neighboring states. I hate it but I think it's best to keep our turkey numbers from getting decimated

Goodtimekiller

From what i have heard, no data suggests moving opening date back provides any benefit and turkey populations in every state pretty much follow normal, expected reintroduction curves.

Prohunter3509

I really agree with 3bailey3 but I do believe the state doe s not care about its citizens
They pander more to out 9f state

Howieg

Bottom line is our turkeys need a little help . I think this will help "some " .
If I had my wish , I'd say cut it to 2 adult gobblers per hunter, mandatory tag on gobbler before moving , and call it in also . Absolutely no corn feeders running for two weeks before season opener until after closing . I feel , well I know ! This is a huge issue !   I'm thankful for our no jake law , because our gobblers get killed down to the jakes every spring .   Fact . 

Prospector

MS rez here. Don't mind the changed opening. Most years the 15th is too early AND for most workers it's just easier to schedule time off rather than this mid week stuff. I find myself competing with non hunters on spring break week a lot ????. As far as tagging, calling, pic taking? Useless. Poachers gonna poach. All that does is suggest to anybody with 1/2 a brain where birds are being taken. Spend that $ on something else MDWFP!
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

Prospector

ABSOLUTELY agree with the Feeder deal. In fact, Feeder should have to be completely removed from woods by March 1. If you wanna feed deer they can issue a feeder license for a nominal fee on your hunting license. What a revenue generator there! I say issue one adult gobbler tag with a second possible with a "varmint" bounty.... Foolish, I know but a Turkey hunter can dream.....
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

slave601

I'd be good with dropping to a 2 bird system and a leg tag. The feeders have to go! I don't know how many gobblers I've called up for other people or have harvested myself have corn in their craw. Pathetic in my opinion. There is a lot of gobblers in my area harvested that way. Sad
"thinnin the flock"

wchadw

Yeah. I'd would like the deer feeders gone. The ones at the club I hunt at just attract hogs and coons. Promotes night time feeding by deer

Shiloh

I like the mandatory tagging.  I know this allowed a warden to ticket some kids in our area this year that have become serial poachers when he otherwise wouldn't have been able to do much.
I am not sold on the date change, but I know our turkey guy has a reason, so I will probably support him.
I will always support any law that does away with corn feeding even for deer!
I don't see any reason to monkey with the limit as long as the statewide numbers will support it.