North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Mississippi proposing changes: Mandatory Tagging and Slight Season Adjustment

Started by deerhunt1988, May 09, 2023, 07:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Jbird22 on May 15, 2023, 06:02:53 PM
I'll say it again. We don't need additional rules. We just need greater enforcement of the ones we currently have.

Youth season doesn't need to be eliminated just because a select few dirtbag adults feel the need to start early. That would be punishing the majority for the transgressions of the minority, as was previously illustrated.

I've enjoyed the last several years of youth hunting with my son. He has killed 4 birds since he was 9 (he's 14 now). All but 1 of the 4 were killed during regular season. I'm planning on enjoying next season as it will be his last as a youth. And hopefully, my daughter will want to start going before she ages out as well.

As others have said, youth season is the least of our problems. Wanting to do away with youth is not about wanting to save a gobbler, it's about wanting to save one for 7 more days.

I get what you are saying but look at the other side of the coin for a minute. What I said seems selfish to many but that's ok. It is what it is. My statement is not intended in any way other than giving everyone something to think about. It simply states that if you take and move regular season back a week then push youth season up that week , what has it accomplished? Many that have kids get offended when they feel that someone is trying to take something from their kids. I get it. I have 2. But what about the guys that work all year and put money into the resource and they don't have kids. So they are suppose to just sacrifice a week of their season when in reality that week is changing nothing?
  My opinion is just that, my opinion. I hate big government and more and more restrictions but that's the world we live in. I did not post to start a uproar. I have been on this site a long time and very rarely have a heated discussion. I'm just saying that if you are gonna move the season back for the good of the birds , then do that and don't substitute it . I may be in the minority but that's ok with me. I will voice my opinion and respect yours until the lines crossed.
  This post was started asking for peoples thoughts and I gave mine. It is what it is. You have been very cordial with your post and I respect that. Some guys on here know me personally and they will tell you I am for from selfish. I know much of my response is not directed at you. As a matter of fact very little of it is. I just started typing and it spilled over. Good on you for not abusing the system and spending that time with your kids. None of us are promised tomorrow.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

runngun

I am all for the "youth seasons", my son took his first Longbeard at age 5, with a Remington 870 20 gauge.  No blind, sitting between my legs in a creek bottom,  he is now 27. I would not trade that for anything.
Initially, I was 100 percent against changing the season, when the state of Louisiana decided to do so. Man, I was flat angry.  I called a friend who also was our President for our local NWTF chapter. He explained the logic behind the change. In my area and in my opinion I will admit that I was WRONG!!! It needed doing,  and in my opinion, it has WORKED.  I have seen more turkeys in the last few years than I had in the previous years.
Also, I know a local guy who was hunting during the youth season with his daughter. She was carrying a 20 gauge, and he was carrying a 12 gauge. HE GOT HIS BUTT CAUGHT!!! His excuse was that he was carrying the 12 gauge in case a bird "hung up." Okay, possible, but in my opinion, she could not have handled that 12 gauge. She was small.

Man y'all try and have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Jbird22

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 15, 2023, 08:04:56 PM
Quote from: Jbird22 on May 15, 2023, 06:02:53 PM
I'll say it again. We don't need additional rules. We just need greater enforcement of the ones we currently have.

Youth season doesn't need to be eliminated just because a select few dirtbag adults feel the need to start early. That would be punishing the majority for the transgressions of the minority, as was previously illustrated.

I've enjoyed the last several years of youth hunting with my son. He has killed 4 birds since he was 9 (he's 14 now). All but 1 of the 4 were killed during regular season. I'm planning on enjoying next season as it will be his last as a youth. And hopefully, my daughter will want to start going before she ages out as well.

As others have said, youth season is the least of our problems. Wanting to do away with youth is not about wanting to save a gobbler, it's about wanting to save one for 7 more days.

I get what you are saying but look at the other side of the coin for a minute. What I said seems selfish to many but that's ok. It is what it is. My statement is not intended in any way other than giving everyone something to think about. It simply states that if you take and move regular season back a week then push youth season up that week , what has it accomplished? Many that have kids get offended when they feel that someone is trying to take something from their kids. I get it. I have 2. But what about the guys that work all year and put money into the resource and they don't have kids. So they are suppose to just sacrifice a week of their season when in reality that week is changing nothing?
  My opinion is just that, my opinion. I hate big government and more and more restrictions but that's the world we live in. I did not post to start a uproar. I have been on this site a long time and very rarely have a heated discussion. I'm just saying that if you are gonna move the season back for the good of the birds , then do that and don't substitute it . I may be in the minority but that's ok with me. I will voice my opinion and respect yours until the lines crossed.
  This post was started asking for peoples thoughts and I gave mine. It is what it is. You have been very cordial with your post and I respect that. Some guys on here know me personally and they will tell you I am for from selfish. I know much of my response is not directed at you. As a matter of fact very little of it is. I just started typing and it spilled over. Good on you for not abusing the system and spending that time with your kids. None of us are promised tomorrow.
Yes, but that week has always been set aside for youth. I don't like the March 23 opener no more than you do, trust me. But with the new season start date change, March 23 is as late as it will open so some seasons won't be as lean on days as 2023 will be. For example, after 2023 we'll gain days in regular season until it's on the 23rd again in 2030. It's all hypothectical of course as I know a lot can and will likely change during that span of time.

I took your post for exactly what you said it was, your opinion. I was just giving my perspective on your opinion. I hope you took it for what it was intended to be, my opinion. All of this is fun to discuss and has actually caused me to post here more than I have in quite some time. I'm all for a civil discussion on differing opinions.

yelpaholic

Shorten season . Stiff fines for feeders .. more enforcement officers for poachers.

3bailey3

Jbird I will disagree on that's the way it has always been, maybe the last 15 years but not when I was growing up. I am going to agree with Jody, S/D on this, I thought the kids alway got a bad draw that it opened to early to give them a quality hunting experience! I am going to lump this in with the precipitation trophy all kids get that play a sport! Let a kid kill one on opening day with all the other hunters in the woods and I think you have created a ture hunter not a precipitation trophy!

Jbird22

Quote from: 3bailey3 on May 15, 2023, 09:36:46 PM
Jbird I will disagree on that's the way it has always been, maybe the last 15 years but not when I was growing up. I am going to agree with Jody, S/D on this, I thought the kids alway got a bad draw that it opened to early to give them a quality hunting experience! I am going to lump this in with the precipitation trophy all kids get that play a sport! Let a kid kill one on opening day with all the other hunters in the woods and I think you have created a ture hunter not a precipitation trophy!
Fair enough. It's been around for quite some time would've been a better way for me to put it.

I don't see the "participation trophy" sentiment being applicable to youth hunting seasons but maybe it's because of how I have taught mine to hunt. He's not been handed any little debbies or juice boxes after any of our hunts like he would be after a tee-ball game.

Spitten and drummen

Well said.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

sasquatch1

Huge diff between 5 year old baseball league (everyone's a winner) participation trophy

And asking a 5 yr old to compete against me for a bird and call it equal

For my stupid opinion and what it's worth.

Maybe we need to have 5 yr olds compete in the NFL, those who succeed have something to really be proud of

While we at it we can remove kid divisions from fishing rodeos too

Suck it up kids, it's time to grow up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Jbird22 on May 15, 2023, 09:56:53 PM
Fair enough. It's been around for quite some time would've been a better way for me to put it.

I don't see the "participation trophy" sentiment being applicable to youth hunting seasons but maybe it's because of how I have taught mine to hunt. He's not been handed any little debbies or juice boxes after any of our hunts like he would be after a tee-ball game.

I agree with you on some things you stated. Most advocates of youth season has kids and want to take them. I really have no issue with that other that asking how is that fair for turkey hunters as a whole. If someone does not have kids well too bad. I have kids also so I am speaking objectively. No one has answered what I have asked several times. If you back the season up a week then what good does it do if you allow a select group to hunt that week? Now , if they want to back it up and allow no hunting then that makes more sense. No birds would be harvested during that time frame. I vote for a week for seniors loll! We don't have as many years left to chase them as a kid.  :funnyturkey:
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Jbird22

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 15, 2023, 10:11:56 PM

I agree with you on some things you stated. Most advocates of youth season has kids and want to take them. I really have no issue with that other that asking how is that fair for turkey hunters as a whole. If someone does not have kids well too bad. I have kids also so I am speaking objectively. No one has answered what I have asked several times. If you back the season up a week then what good does it do if you allow a select group to hunt that week? Now , if they want to back it up and allow no hunting then that makes more sense. No birds would be harvested during that time frame. I vote for a week for seniors loll! We don't have as many years left to chase them as a kid.  :funnyturkey:
It has been answered but I will answer it more directly. Yes, regular season is being shortened by 8 days from 2023 to 2024. However, youth season should still start 7 days prior to opener of youth season as it has been for the past several years. Youth season is not taking opportunity away from regular season but is moving along with it instead.

One more question and I'll let this go. As a parent, are/were you an advocate of the child tax credit or do you think it's unfair to taxpayers who don't have children?

3bailey3

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Jbird22 on May 15, 2023, 10:44:23 PM

It has been answered but I will answer it more directly. Yes, regular season is being shortened by 8 days from 2023 to 2024. However, youth season should still start 7 days prior to opener of youth season as it has been for the past several years. Youth season is not taking opportunity away from regular season but is moving along with it instead.

One more question and I'll let this go. As a parent, are/were you an advocate of the child tax credit or do you think it's unfair to taxpayers who don't have children?

I'm done. Not gonna talk politics here. It will just get my blood boiling. I knew I would ruffle feathers with the youth thing. Sad thing is , there are many here who feel the same way but just won't say anything because it's sacrilegious and to be honest just don't want to deal with the fallout. Me , doesn't matter. I served this country honorably to protect the rights of everyone even if I don't agree with them. I will say for example I don't agree with those who kneel for the anthem but I will not attack them. I fought for their right to do so even if I don't agree with them. If I force my belief on them then I'm no better than those I fought against. Good luck and enjoy many youth seasons to come.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Jbird22

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 15, 2023, 11:24:23 PM
Quote from: Jbird22 on May 15, 2023, 10:44:23 PM

I'm done. Not gonna talk politics here. It will just get my blood boiling. I knew I would ruffle feathers with the youth thing. Sad thing is , there are many here who feel the same way but just won't say anything because it's sacrilegious and to be honest just don't want to deal with the fallout. Me , doesn't matter. I served this country honorably to protect the rights of everyone even if I don't agree with them. I will say for example I don't agree with those who kneel for the anthem but I will not attack them. I fought for their right to do so even if I don't agree with them. If I force my belief on them then I'm no better than those I fought against. Good luck and enjoy many youth seasons to come.
The question I posed had ZERO to do with politics. It was a comparison of the fairness to all turkey hunters pertainig to youth season vs the fairness to all taxpayers pertaining to the child tax credit, nothing more or less.

Jbird22

Shiloh

Just wanted to clarify a few things and I know how we got to this point, but.......

1) Youth season isn't going anywhere despite the discussion here
2) The season date change is NOT a done deal, so go to the link provided and give your opinion.  It does matter despite what you believe.
3) I am glad people are passionate about turkeys even though we don't all agree on the details