North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Mississippi proposing changes: Mandatory Tagging and Slight Season Adjustment

Started by deerhunt1988, May 09, 2023, 07:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird22

Quote from: Shiloh on May 15, 2023, 08:04:39 AM
I don't think you can get any better leadership than our state biologist.  Huge balancing act to keep both sides (public/commission) happy.  Another good thing about Adam is that he is a hard core turkey hunter who enjoys both public and private hunting just like many of us do. 
YES!! I spoke with Adam for a good while Friday afternoon and can tell you he is most definitely one of the good guys!

Prospector

My reference was not to anyone personal. I'm sure our state biologists does care and is top notch. However, the State and those in charge cater to the money. As I'm sure many if not all do. The decision in my admittedly un educated opinion seems to be heavily weighted toward the special interest groups rather than biology. I'm sure Mr Butler gives great recommendations on how best to manage wild turkeys- I'm just not convinced he is being listened to. I meant no shade on him...
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

Spitten and drummen

Since we are having a good discussion I'm gonna give my opinion. I agree with most everything suggested here so I'm gonna throw another out there. No youth week. Now I will be hammered and called selfish , but when I was a kid everybody started the same time. I say this because I see it abused. Adults taking kids , shooting birds and saying the kid shot it. These adults will frown and say " you are selfish". However , who is really selfish? If you care about them shooting birds , take them regular season and let them kill them. Sacrifice some of your season for them. I take kids all season long. Also kids have a week long spring break. Again , just my 2 cents from a Mississippi resident.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Shiloh

I know that the youth season gets abused some, but I imagine that it is so seldom that it doesn't make a huge difference.  It would be similar to the guys that start hunting when they hear the first gobble.  Make no mistake, I think these people should lose their privileges for a long time, but it has no bearing on overall harvest.  There are a very small amount of people that even kill the limit in our state. 

I also think that we have one of the best commission leaders that we have ever had.  Despite being a man of extraordinary means I truly believe that he is trying to represent the general public in a very fair way. 

arkrem870

Of all the problems. Youth seasons have to be at the bottom of the list.
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: arkrem870 on May 15, 2023, 02:24:29 PM
Of all the problems. Youth seasons have to be at the bottom of the list.

Of course it does. Again simply offends some people. If it saves one bird then it helps the population doesn't it? Kind of like deer hunting. Can't let that basket 8 walk because the neighbors may kill it. I thought the consensus here was helping the population in every way we can.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Shiloh on May 15, 2023, 01:17:06 PM
I know that the youth season gets abused some, but I imagine that it is so seldom that it doesn't make a huge difference.  It would be similar to the guys that start hunting when they hear the first gobble.  Make no mistake, I think these people should lose their privileges for a long time, but it has no bearing on overall harvest.  There are a very small amount of people that even kill the limit in our state. 

I also think that we have one of the best commission leaders that we have ever had.  Despite being a man of extraordinary means I truly believe that he is trying to represent the general public in a very fair way.
[/quo

I agree. But 1 bird saved is one added to the population. I can tell you in my parts there are a whole lotta 4 year olds showing off dead gobblers. The point in my post is I believe over harvest is a fraction of the problem. In my opinion habitat for brooding is at the top. Much of the state is controlled by timber companies. They cut the trees and do not allow controlled burning. In return you end up with lots of thickets that causes small game population to expand creating larger populations of predators. Mother Nature at work. Then the state allows feeding the deer with corn feeders year around. The coon population loves that.
So my response about youth season stands. It is a method to reduce harvest of the birds. You want to cut seasons to preserve birds , then that is one of several options that should be on the table.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

slave601

Adam Butler seems like a great guy and from what I've seen and read I think he is trying his best to help the wild turkey here in Mississippi. With that being said I think his hands are somewhat tied on some situations but I'm just glad there is a change coming. I'd just like to see the season match with bama opener and possibly cut it down to at least 4 weeks. That's plenty of time in my opinion.
"thinnin the flock"

sasquatch1

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 15, 2023, 01:01:58 PM
Since we are having a good discussion I'm gonna give my opinion. I agree with most everything suggested here so I'm gonna throw another out there. No youth week. Now I will be hammered and called selfish , but when I was a kid everybody started the same time. I say this because I see it abused. Adults taking kids , shooting birds and saying the kid shot it. These adults will frown and say " you are selfish". However , who is really selfish? If you care about them shooting birds , take them regular season and let them kill them. Sacrifice some of your season for them. I take kids all season long. Also kids have a week long spring break. Again , just my 2 cents from a Mississippi resident.
Gun use and rights get abused

If you cared about the ppl dying you'd give your guns up

Sacrifice some from yourself for the greater good

Who is really selfish? Do you not care about the ppl dying?

See how it sounds the same? If just one life is saved it's worth it right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: sasquatch1 on May 15, 2023, 04:34:14 PM

See how it sounds the same? If just

one life is saved it's worth it right?

Dude you need back on your meds throwing that trash my way. Don't even try to throw that at me like I'm a liberal. I said what I said and stand by it. I served this country and bled for it. You twisted a good post with people giving their opinions just like you just did with your response. But don't preach to me about sacrifice when you have no idea of who I am. I did not insult anyone here but you want to throw an insult. I fought for mine and your right to voice our opinion. If you don't like mine , that's fine. But because I don't agree with your thoughts you throw out an insult. SMH. Whatever dude. You sound like one of the fellows I'm talking about.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

sasquatch1

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 15, 2023, 04:54:01 PM

Dude you need back on your meds throwing that trash my way. Don't even try to throw that at me like I'm a liberal. I said what I said and stand by it. I served this country and bled for it. You twisted a good post with people giving their opinions just like you just did with your response. But don't preach to me about sacrifice when you have no idea of who I am. I did not insult anyone here but you want to throw an insult. I fought for mine and your right to voice our opinion. If you don't like mine , that's fine. But because I don't agree with your thoughts you throw out an insult. SMH. Whatever dude.

Touchy aye. Who really needs the meds?

Show me the direct insult?

Or is it you're  offended by the truth that YOUR same statement with a few diff words replaced now means something diff to you!

You can punish kids for a small group of abusing ADULTS!!

Just the same as we can punish law abiding gun owners for a small group of derelicts out there!!

We live in sad times when we want to punish kids, the same ones we struggle to get outdoors, because we feel they are killing our turkeys.

Also on diff note since you got to throw it out there. Unless you were drafted you served by a conscious choice! While I appreciate what you did (BY CHOICE) it has no barron for you or others to use for moral high ground.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: sasquatch1 on May 15, 2023, 04:59:11 PM

Dude you need back on your meds throwing that trash my way. Don't even try to throw that at me like I'm a liberal. I said what I said and stand by it. I served this country and bled for it. You twisted a good post with people giving their opinions just like you just did with your response. But don't preach to me about sacrifice when you have no idea of who I am. I did not insult anyone here but you want to throw an insult. I fought for mine and your right to voice our opinion. If you don't like mine , that's fine. But because I don't agree with your thoughts you throw out an insult. SMH. Whatever dude.

Touchy aye.

Or is it your offended by the truth that YOUR same statement with a few diff words replaced now means something diff to you!

Just the same as we can punish law abiding gun owners for a small group of derelicts out there!!

We live in sad times when we want to punish kids, the same ones we struggle to get outdoors, because we fell they killing our turkeys.

Touchy aye.

Or is it your offended by the truth that YOUR same statement with a few diff words replaced now means something diff to you!

We live in sad times when we want to punish kids, the same ones we struggle to get outdoors, because we fell they killing our turkeys.

Touchy touchy when you tell me about sacrificing some of myself for the greater good when I have sacrificed more than you know. I could care less your outlook on youth season. I stated a fact that some will disagree with. So be it. The topic is about helping the population. This has been talked about 6 ways from Sunday. Again the fact is if a bird is not killed then he is counted in the surviving population. We are talking about population here right. Those few that are killed in youth season don't count right. Neither does killing a bunch of Jake's , they probably won't reach 2 years anyway right? Let's keep thinning out the hens in the fall. We do have a surplus of those.
  Yes , I get touchy when you suggest taking a week or 2 from us but let's just use that opening week we took for a youth week. How does that help. Birds still being killed the same days that they take from others. Makes sense huh.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

sasquatch1

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 15, 2023, 05:10:55 PM

Touchy aye.

Touchy aye.

Touchy touchy when you tell me about sacrificing some of myself for the greater good when I have sacrificed more than you know. I could care less your outlook on youth season. I stated a fact that some will disagree with. So be it. The topic is about helping the population. This has been talked about 6 ways from Sunday. Again the fact is if a bird is not killed then he is counted in the surviving population. We are talking about population here right. Those few that are killed in youth season don't count right. Neither does killing a bunch of Jake's , they probably won't reach 2 years anyway right? Let's keep thinning out the hens in the fall. We do have a surplus of those.
  Yes , I get touchy when you suggest taking a week or 2 from us but let's just use that opening week we took for a youth week. How does that help. Birds still being killed the same days that they take from others. Makes sense huh.
We need to save the birds so much just close the season

Be careful what's wished for, things are progressive, always

And yes, it is diff to me. My grown a** will gladly stand up and take a hit to preserve something for the youth. But maybe I'm just diff

And this is coming from someone WITHOUT kids 

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: sasquatch1 on May 15, 2023, 05:13:52 PM

Touchy aye.

Touchy aye.

And yes, it is diff to me. My grown a** will gladly stand up and take a hit to preserve something for the youth. But maybe I'm just diff
Quote from: sasquatch1 on May 15, 2023, 05:13:52 PM

Touchy aye.

Touchy aye.

And this is coming from someone WITHOUT kids 

We can agree to disagree. Has not a damn thing to do with selflessness. It has everything to do with the topic HELPING THE POPULATION RECOVER. I'm done posting on this post because our disagreement has hijacked it. Sorry about that guys. If you want to continue this talk feel free to pm. Me. Over and out.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Jbird22

I'll say it again. We don't need additional rules. We just need greater enforcement of the ones we currently have.

Youth season doesn't need to be eliminated just because a select few dirtbag adults feel the need to start early. That would be punishing the majority for the transgressions of the minority, as was previously illustrated.

I've enjoyed the last several years of youth hunting with my son. He has killed 4 birds since he was 9 (he's 14 now). All but 1 of the 4 were killed during regular season. I'm planning on enjoying next season as it will be his last as a youth. And hopefully, my daughter will want to start going before she ages out as well.

As others have said, youth season is the least of our problems. Wanting to do away with youth is not about wanting to save a gobbler, it's about wanting to save one for 7 more days.