Mississippi proposing changes: Mandatory Tagging and Slight Season Adjustment

Started by deerhunt1988, May 09, 2023, 07:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird22

Quote from: sasquatch1 on May 10, 2023, 06:14:33 PM
Quote from: Jbird22 on May 10, 2023, 05:46:09 PM
Quote from: deerhunt1988 on May 10, 2023, 04:37:41 PM
Quote from: 3bailey3 on May 09, 2023, 09:33:22 PM
Ms resident and I thought tagging was already mandatory?

Only harvest reporting has been mandatory.

Quote from: Howieg on May 10, 2023, 02:21:42 AM
Absolutely no corn feeders running for two weeks before season opener until after closing . I feel , well I know ! This is a huge issue !   I'm thankful for our no jake law , because our gobblers get killed down to the jakes every spring .   Fact .

THIS!!!!

Quote from: slave601 on May 10, 2023, 07:12:06 AM
. The feeders have to go! I don't know how many gobblers I've called up for other people or have harvested myself have corn in their craw. Pathetic in my opinion. There is a lot of gobblers in my area harvested that way. Sad

Yup. It's pretty common now for me or my father to get a bird or two each spring that has grain in his craw.

Quote from: Jbird22 on May 10, 2023, 09:34:09 AM

5. FIX THE PUBLIC LAND DRAW SYSTEM! Limit applicants to a maximum of 5 applications (3 would be better)

Yeah, I miss the days of $5 app fees and application limits.

Quote from: joey46 on May 10, 2023, 10:01:30 AM

After reading two long pages on National Forest (pages 27-28) that includes a non discrimination policy I'm still skeptical that banning non-res hunting that land while residents are hunting it would withstand a serious federal court challenge. Good luck with that.

Has stood the test of time in western big game states for quite a while.

Quote from: sasquatch1 on May 10, 2023, 11:34:44 AM

The issue with diff seasons is, it would put immense pressure on localized areas. The whole damn state will be in one spot (whoever opens first)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh man, as someone who jumps around to hit numerous openers myself, it definitely causes some huge pressure influxes! It'd require a total re-structure of turkey season and some limitations. Like only allowing a person to hunt one zone or the other for opening week of either zone.
DH, you've lived down here for a brief period. You really think people will rush to the SE deer zone to hunt if it opens a week or two earlier than others? I just don't see Des NF becoming a turkey hunting destination for someone who hunts H NF, B NF, Del NF, or HS NF but maybe I'm missing something.
Yes I do think a lot will. Especially after a few THP videos of them getting it done pop up.

It also may make your WMA draw spots worse. People who want to hunt before alabama and such open will put in where it opens the earliest (aka the south zone)

And here I was hoping you and I could have a discussion that didn't involve Youtubers...And no, my desired WMA draw can't get much worse honestly. Haven't been drawn there for 4 consecutive years now. And as we discussed, my local non-draw WMA and NWR will be closed for 3 straight years. So I'd say my public hunting situation is damn near rock bottom in all honesty. Thank goodness for the back 40.

Regardless of all that, the changes that have been proposed have already been decided. The public comment section is just to make it appear like public opinion actually matters. But instead of remaining silent and complaining, I submitted my opinions on each topic. I encourage all residents to do the same whether your opinions align with mine or not.

sasquatch1

It's just facts. Don't think for a second people won't hunt that way when it's the only place open. Especially after some success words get out.

It does suck those places are closed but hopefully it's for the better. However, let's not base statewide decisions off of draw results that are for 2 day hunts. Even if drawn that's 2 days.

There's birds to be had not far from you still, I rarely go as I drive straight past it, but I do make a small handful of hunts at times after working a night shift, and more than half the times I end up working a bird. 

Within 2 hours of you there's plenty of decent hunting to be had. In my eyes anyway and it's twice that far for me but I'm there every chance I get, even just for single day hunts at times.

Jbird22

Quote from: Clif Owen on May 10, 2023, 06:35:36 PM
Not a resident and have never come there to hunt deer or turkeys but would like to do it someday.
Let me tell you what WILL happen if parts of the state open earlier than others. You will have a huge influx of people coming to hunt there because it opens earlier than their area. I see this every year here with deer hunters. The area I hunt opens probably 4 weeks earlier than some areas. You will see license plates from all over the state to hunt NF land and the couple of WMA's that open early. We call it the Cajun invasion.
I have a friend that does live there. He wishes the season would be shifted back a couple of weeks. Not lose any days but shift the whole season back. I don't know how this might work out. I do know he had a poor season due to storm damage from the recent tornado. I've been battling downed trees from a tornado and hurricanes from 2 years ago. It has changed my whole world here.
Clif, a two week delay may be fine for someone who's 40 mins from Memphis but not for someone who's 40 mins from New Orleans. Both are in MS but they're worlds apart when it comes to when spring starts to show itself.

Jbird22

Quote from: sasquatch1 on May 10, 2023, 08:44:57 PM
It's just facts. Don't think for a second people won't hunt that way when it's the only place open. Especially after some success words get out.

It does suck those places are closed but hopefully it's for the better. However, let's not base statewide decisions off of draw results that are for 2 day hunts. Even if drawn that's 2 days.

There's birds to be had not far from you still, I rarely go as I drive straight past it, but I do make a small handful of hunts at times after working a night shift, and more than half the times I end up working a bird. 

Within 2 hours of you there's plenty of decent hunting to be had. In my eyes anyway and it's twice that far for me but I'm there every chance I get, even just for single day hunts at times.

The places that were closed needed to be closed back around 2015 if they were gonna be closed. But, they're late to the party and haven't talked with actual hunters. Three years is drastic, any way you slice it.

I don't understand where you're going with the "2 day draw" comments.

I know what's available within 2 hrs of me, I just don't have enough opportunities (as far as days off to hunt) to try many new places. Not complaining, just how life is right now.

sasquatch1

Quote from: Jbird22 on May 10, 2023, 09:46:25 PM

The places that were closed needed to be closed back around 2015 if they were gonna be closed. But, they're late to the party and haven't talked with actual hunters. Three years is drastic, any way you slice it.

I know what's available within 2 hrs of me, I just don't have enough opportunities to try many new places. Not complaining, just how life is right now.
I'm just saying there's no need to want drastic change over draw results you've been having. Those hunts are only for 2 days usually.

However, I do wish you more luck in that department being you are a resident. It's dumb question but you are putting those down for your first choices huh?

Idk exact details but the draw structure was changed a while back to stop people from drawing multiple areas while some draw nothing (favored to first picks)

deadbuck

I have been turkey hunting in N MS since 1984, thats 39 years for you youngsters that arent even 39 years old. I remember hunting hard all year and if I killed a jake I was super pumped. Killed my first Longbeard in 1986 and got it full body mounted. I have been through the good years and the bad. Early 90's it was so bad I quit hunting for 3 years. I only had a few buddies that stuck with it through the hard times and kept going. The other day I heard our state turkey guy say in 1986 there were 60,000 turkeys killed and 60,000 hunters. Spoiler alert, those numbers are BIZARRE.  In the county I hunted in 1986 there may have been 8-9 turkey hunters then, and 2 of them killed 10 birds each and the rest of us might kill one and might not. I'll admit turkey hunting has been good for the last 15 years for me and my son on mostly public land, but the turkeys are now gone due to 5x the number of hunters. The problem in Mississippi is our season is too long. 47 days this year. The only thing that is going to bring our numbers up is getting people out of the woods. As long as the season is open the college kids are going to hunt and kill 7-8 each. As long as the season is open corn baiters are going to keep killing. But, if the season is closed they are not going to keep hunting. What I want is consistency year in and year out like Missouri has. Why cant we just copy their season that is proven to work? Not crying here as I can live with or without it, but I think the solution is obvious, SHORTEN THE SEASON AND LIMIT OPPORTUNITY TO CARRY OVER BIRDS AND HAVE THEM SPREAD INTO MORE AREA.

Jbird22

Quote from: sasquatch1 on May 10, 2023, 09:57:27 PM

I know what's available within 2 hrs of me, I just don't have enough opportunities to try many new places. Not complaining, just how life is right now.
I'm just saying there's no need to want drastic change over draw results you've been having. Those hunts are only for 2 days usually.

However, I do wish you more luck in that department being you are a resident. It's dumb question but you are putting those down for your first choices huh?

Idk exact details but the draw structure was changed a while back to stop people from drawing multiple areas while some draw nothing (favored to first picks)

What drastic change? I suggested 5 WMA applications per person. I think that is more than reasonable, especially when you consider that's a possible 10 days out of the 14 day draw window. I know the likelihood of drawing all 5 isn't great but if someone does, do you think they'll attend all 5? Me personally, I apply for 3 because I know that's the absolute most I'll be able to attend due to my work situation. I'm not one to want to take opportunity away from someone who'd actually use it. I think a TON of people apply with little to no intentions of attending if drawn. That's my biggest issue with the draw system.

Jbird22

Quote from: deadbuck on May 10, 2023, 10:19:48 PM
The other day I heard our state turkey guy say in 1986 there were 60,000 turkeys killed and 60,000 hunters. Spoiler alert, those numbers are BIZARRE.
Yeah, I read that the other day and thought no way could those #'s be remotely accurate. I was just a youngun in 1986, but neither figure seems fathomable based on what older hunters have told me.

sasquatch1

Quote from: Jbird22 on May 10, 2023, 10:19:58 PM

What drastic change? I suggested 5 WMA applications per person. I think that is more than reasonable, especially when you consider that's a possible 10 days out of the 14 day draw window. I know the likelihood of drawing all 5 isn't great but if someone does, do you think they'll attend all 5? Me personally, I apply for 3 because I know that's the absolute most I'll be able to attend due to my work situation. I'm not one to want to take opportunity away from someone who'd actually use it. I think a TON of people apply with little to no intentions of attending if drawn. That's my biggest issue with the draw system.
I was speaking of grouping it all together with season structure/split zones

Draws can be whatever as I've never really hunted them. I rather catch the open public land early to get those birds before they are gone.  (Hell I think it should be a fee so the state can bring in some money for habitat work)

Hwd silvestris

I wish the state would outlaw a feeder all together.   In my opinion when the deer feeder was legalized to hunt over, it was the beginning of our turkey decline as a whole. 
Also I'm totally fine with tagging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bailey3

Deadbuck you just posted what the Ms problem is!!! over harvest, two buddies killed 10 a year, college kids just keep hunting? You are the problem if you don't report this!!! don't take the season away from us that folllow the law!!  freakking unreal....

Jbird22

Quote from: sasquatch1 on May 10, 2023, 10:35:59 PM
Quote from: Jbird22 on May 10, 2023, 10:19:58 PM

I was speaking of grouping it all together with season structure/split zones
I just know there's a drastic difference in when Spring arrives in the 6 coastal vs. the 6 that border TN. The later arrival of Fall/Winter is acknowledged in deer season though. It's just something I randomly pondered.

J-Shaped

Love seeing the comments on banning feeding. It's not even legal now in the CWD zones bordering TN, but I can assure you it's not stopping people in that area. In fact, it's as rampant as ever, and I'd venture to guess that a fair portion of the harvest in the extreme northern counties the first two weeks are over feed, or heavily influenced by feed.

The state recently sent out a deer survey and one of the questions was in regard to supplemental feed. I chose the option to ban it altogether. If you can't kill a deer in the South without corn, then take up another hobby. And don't give me the excuse that you're some "game manager" benefiting the wildlife by slinging corn.

Shiloh

I couldn't argue with at least 2 zones.  I think that would be wise to consider.  I will also get on board with banning all feed.  The problem with banning corn is you will still have the people feeding protein which, in my mind, is what "supplemental" feed really is. 

Most of the other stuff mentioned would not interest me.  I may be in the minority, but I think our turkey program people do a pretty darn good job.  I have heard through the grapevine that there might also be some changes and tightening up on the draw situation to make sure that the opportunity is more evenly spread around.

On a brighter note.  I have witnessed 2 fresh hatched clutches and one hen setting a nest just this week.  Hopefully the pounding rains like we had yesterday will stay away!!!

sasquatch1

This is how 2 zones end

Oh great we open earlier for when our birds are right for hunting

Oh damn where'd all these people come from, this is like 30-40% worse than before

We need more restrictions!!! Make the public land a separate season and just let us private land ppl open early

Then that happens. Next step is private hunters in said zone get two openers. They go kill some off their private early (and some off the public edges for who has land that shares boundaries with the public land) and then it's "man so and so wma/NF opener is tomo let's go catch some fresh birds

Omg Jesus there's people everywhere again, we need more restrictions

Make it a draw

Omg the draw sucks, I haven't drawn in years

We need more restrictions

I can skip a few steps here and say I think most get the point. In the long run you'll wish you at least had the opportunities to go hunt vs sitting home waiting to be chosen to hunt from a draw.

I know I'd rather get to hunt scarce birds every year, vs have a fantastic year every 5 while the other 4 I dream about drawing. Also somewhere in the mix is all our leases are being taken from NR who are out bidding us, now we stuck to the over run public land.