News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mississippi proposing changes: Mandatory Tagging and Slight Season Adjustment

Started by deerhunt1988, May 09, 2023, 07:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird22

I doubt this will be popular but here goes:

1. Stop treating all of MS like it's the same when it comes to season structure. We have different zones/seasons for deer, why not for turkeys? I'm in extreme southern Miss and we're often 2-3 weeks ahead of counties in the north part of the state. Peak gobbling may be behind us on March 23 where I live and still a few weeks away in other parts.
2. If you want to shorten the season, take it off of the end, not the beginning. Open it on 3rd Saturday in March and let season last for 5 weeks + 1 day (close on Sunday). I'd be ok with 4 weeks+1 day in all honesty. Again, this goes back to stop treating all of MS the same when it comes to season structure.
3. TAGS ARE USELESS WITHOUT ENFORCEMENT! Those of us who abide by laws are already reporting them as required. A physical tag means NOTHING if there's no one to check them.
4. DO AWAY WITH THE 7 DAY NON-RESIDENT LICENSE AND REQUIRE NON-RESIDENTS TO BUY A FULL SEASON LICENSE LIKE MOST OTHER STATES!
5. FIX THE PUBLIC LAND DRAW SYSTEM! Limit applicants to a maximum of 5 applications (3 would be better)
6. Enforce the draw system! I know of a few folks who ran into oos'ers at popular WMA's during the 2-week draw window and they said they didn't have draws and had been hunting them for years without being drawn. Just like tags, USELESS WITHOUT ENFORCEMENT!
7. BAN FEEDING FROM FEBRUARY 16 - MAY 31! Won't happen but needs to!

joey46

Coincidentally I'm in Biloxi right this minute and picked up a 22-23 Outdoor Digest at the Academy in Gulfport yesterday.  There definitely is a mandatory reporting requirement (page 21) with options for no phone or cell service. All states should have mandatory reporting.  Wish Florida would do the nonresident two week lock out but too much money involved.
After reading two long pages on National Forest (pages 27-28) that includes a non discrimination policy I'm still skeptical that banning non-res hunting that land while residents are hunting it would withstand a serious federal court challenge. Good luck with that.

Mossyguy

The state had proposed no feeders a while back but some of the deer folks that feed year round complained that "their" deer wouldn't have anything to eat so that got scratched.

Not sure how the the tagging will work if we don't have enough wardens to enforce it. I feel like that is the biggest issue.

sasquatch1

Quote from: Jbird22 on May 10, 2023, 09:34:09 AM

1. Stop treating all of MS like it's the same when it comes to season structure. We have different zones/seasons for deer, why not for turkeys? I'm in extreme southern Miss and we're often 2-3 weeks ahead of counties in the north part of the state. Peak gobbling may be behind us on March 23 where I live and still a few weeks away in other parts.
2. If you want to shorten the season, take it off of the end, not the beginning. Open it on 3rd Saturday in March and let season last for 5 weeks + 1 day (close on Sunday). I'd be ok with 4 weeks+1 day in all honesty. Again, this goes back to stop treating all of MS the same when it comes to season structure.
3. TAGS ARE USELESS WITHOUT ENFORCEMENT! Those of us who abide by laws are already reporting them as required. A physical tag means NOTHING if there's no one to check them.
4. DO AWAY WITH THE 7 DAY NON-RESIDENT LICENSE AND REQUIRE NON-RESIDENTS TO BUY A FULL SEASON LICENSE LIKE MOST OTHER STATES!
5. FIX THE PUBLIC LAND DRAW SYSTEM! Limit applicants to a maximum of 5 applications (3 would be better)
6. Enforce the draw system! I know of a few folks who ran into oos'ers at popular WMA's during the 2-week draw window and they said they didn't have draws and had been hunting them for years without being drawn. Just like tags, USELESS WITHOUT ENFORCEMENT!
As a NR myself I support the license thing.

The issue with diff seasons is, it would put immense pressure on localized areas. The whole damn state will be in one spot (whoever opens first)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dtrkyman

Illinois is draw by county or special hunt area(also 3 seperate draws) then leftover tags OTC, residents get preference, there is also 2 zones, if you spread it out over a few counties and or special hunt areas you can draw 3 tags per spring.

Illinois generally has limited public lands but it is a decent system as far as a draw goes. Would definitely need modified for a different state but it is worth a look. 

Jbird22

Quote from: sasquatch1 on May 10, 2023, 11:34:44 AM

The issue with diff seasons is, it would put immense pressure on localized areas. The whole damn state will be in one spot (whoever opens first)

I understand but the current season structure caters far more to the central and north part of the state. Also, if the draw system was fixed to limit the # of applications per hunter, people won't waste those applications on WMA's in my part of the state. So most hunting pressure would be on private land or some of the state's less than desirable NF's.

slave601

Quote from: Jbird22 on May 10, 2023, 12:02:11 PM

I understand but the current season structure caters far more to the central and north part of the state. Also, if the draw system was fixed to limit the # of applications per hunter, people won't waste those applications on WMA's in my part of the state. So most hunting pressure would be on private land or some of the state's less than desirable NF's.
Jbird22 I totally agree. Zone it like deer season. I hunt public land south of Hattiesburg and north of it. Heck I hunt all over south and central miss. I'd definitely be good with a season zone. Central public land has been getting pounded by out of staters and now it's starting to be a big problem with in some more southern miss public lands. I'm all for traveling and hunting public land I hunt all over but Mississippians could afford to shorten the season some. No need in a near 6 week season
"thinnin the flock"

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I agree with the tagging system and cutting feeding off. I would be good with shortening the end of the season a week. I do not agree with half a day hunting. The biggest gobbler's I've killed in Mississippi have been in the evening. Some days I can't hunt the morning. Some day's the weather isn't safe to hunt in the morning. Let some of your rights be taken away and the door will be open for more restriction's.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

deerhunt1988

Quote from: 3bailey3 on May 09, 2023, 09:33:22 PM
Ms resident and I thought tagging was already mandatory?

Only harvest reporting has been mandatory.

Quote from: Howieg on May 10, 2023, 02:21:42 AM
Absolutely no corn feeders running for two weeks before season opener until after closing . I feel , well I know ! This is a huge issue !   I'm thankful for our no jake law , because our gobblers get killed down to the jakes every spring .   Fact .

THIS!!!!

Quote from: slave601 on May 10, 2023, 07:12:06 AM
. The feeders have to go! I don't know how many gobblers I've called up for other people or have harvested myself have corn in their craw. Pathetic in my opinion. There is a lot of gobblers in my area harvested that way. Sad

Yup. It's pretty common now for me or my father to get a bird or two each spring that has grain in his craw.

Yeah, I miss the days of $5 app fees and application limits.

Quote from: joey46 on May 10, 2023, 10:01:30 AM

After reading two long pages on National Forest (pages 27-28) that includes a non discrimination policy I'm still skeptical that banning non-res hunting that land while residents are hunting it would withstand a serious federal court challenge. Good luck with that.

Has stood the test of time in western big game states for quite a while.

Oh man, as someone who jumps around to hit numerous openers myself, it definitely causes some huge pressure influxes! It'd require a total re-structure of turkey season and some limitations. Like only allowing a person to hunt one zone or the other for opening week of either zone.

Prospector

Here's my rather dim view: Mississippi cares not one whit for the wild Turkey. Its only value is the dollars  it brings in. In that respect, they do not want the bird to become endangered or extinct. If you want to change things then the state's wallet better be kept in mind. Whether you are for, against or neautral to OSS it is undeniable the revenue it brings. I pay around fifty bucks annually to hunt/fish as a resident- THATs like just over $4 a month- dirt cheap. Not sure what a NR pays here but the NR license I bought in another state was $160 for 10days. Also, all the bait sold thru county co-ops- the list is almost endless. My point is, if you propose any changes that in anyway limit hunter involvement , R or NR- then you better increase your own costs proportionally before you can ever dream about a change....
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

Jbird22

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on May 10, 2023, 04:37:41 PM

Absolutely no corn feeders running for two weeks before season opener until after closing . I feel , well I know ! This is a huge issue !   I'm thankful for our no jake law , because our gobblers get killed down to the jakes every spring .   Fact .

THIS!!!!

. The feeders have to go! I don't know how many gobblers I've called up for other people or have harvested myself have corn in their craw. Pathetic in my opinion. There is a lot of gobblers in my area harvested that way. Sad

Yup. It's pretty common now for me or my father to get a bird or two each spring that has grain in his craw.

Oh man, as someone who jumps around to hit numerous openers myself, it definitely causes some huge pressure influxes! It'd require a total re-structure of turkey season and some limitations. Like only allowing a person to hunt one zone or the other for opening week of either zone.
DH, you've lived down here for a brief period. You really think people will rush to the SE deer zone to hunt if it opens a week or two earlier than others? I just don't see Des NF becoming a turkey hunting destination for someone who hunts H NF, B NF, Del NF, or HS NF but maybe I'm missing something.

slave601

Quote from: Jbird22 on May 10, 2023, 05:46:09 PM

THIS!!!!

DH, you've lived down here for a brief period. You really think people will rush to the SE deer zone to hunt if it opens a week or two earlier than others? I just don't see Des NF becoming a turkey hunting destination for someone who hunts H NF, B NF, Del NF, or HS NF but maybe I'm missing something.
Jbird22 I started seeing a few in des NF last year and a good bit more this year but still not near as many as B NF. I was at a gate at 3pm on a week day changing out of my boots into crocs and a vehicle pulled up with an Arkie tag. Kinda shocked me
"thinnin the flock"

sasquatch1

THIS!!!!

Yes I do think a lot will. Especially after a few THP videos of them getting it done pop up.

It also may make your WMA draw spots worse. People who want to hunt before alabama and such open will put in where it opens the earliest (aka the south zone)

sasquatch1

Quote from: slave601 on May 10, 2023, 06:08:22 PM

THIS!!!!

Jbird22 I started seeing a few in des NF last year and a good bit more this year but still not near as many as B NF. I was at a gate at 3pm on a week day changing out of my boots into crocs and a vehicle pulled up with an Arkie tag. Kinda shocked me
Nobody will ever figure out the NF you just said has more birds lol

Post like these will start making people look down south also

Clif Owen

Not a resident and have never come there to hunt deer or turkeys but would like to do it someday.
Let me tell you what WILL happen if parts of the state open earlier than others. You will have a huge influx of people coming to hunt there because it opens earlier than their area. I see this every year here with deer hunters. The area I hunt opens probably 4 weeks earlier than some areas. You will see license plates from all over the state to hunt NF land and the couple of WMA's that open early. We call it the Cajun invasion.
I have a friend that does live there. He wishes the season would be shifted back a couple of weeks. Not lose any days but shift the whole season back. I don't know how this might work out. I do know he had a poor season due to storm damage from the recent tornado. I've been battling downed trees from a tornado and hurricanes from 2 years ago. It has changed my whole world here.