only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Poults already hatched?!

Started by Lone Star Eastern, May 08, 2023, 03:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wigsplitter

Quote from: bbcoach on May 13, 2023, 04:48:47 PM
Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 12, 2023, 06:35:36 PM
Poults are good but when they are hatched just three weeks into your season, you know it was set real late.  We should have birds mounting now and season ends tomorrow.
Most States set their seasons for this VERY purpose!  If the seasons were moved back 3 or 4 weeks, the turkey population would be non-existent unless every State had a draw system, you could only hunt a specific number of days and a 1 bird limit (and it is that way in some States now).  Think of it this way, we as hunters get to do what we ENJOY, CHASE these Beautiful birds for about 4 weeks, even if we don't fill our tags.  Personally, I enjoy it just the way it is.  My 2 cents!

Bbcoach is exactly right this is exactly why states push the seasons back to make sure or as much as possible most hens are bred before we start whacking the gobblers- yes it's harder to deal with the gobblers then BUT I believe what we are gaining ( bred hens) and eventually poults is outweighing the gobblers getting killed by an earlier opener - more states need to follow this trend in my opinion- my home state of Arkansas just finished up and we have been doing this later pushback for a couple years now - our kill was UP 21% this year - combination of things for sure mainly a couple good hatches but this  season pushback allows for this to happen!!