OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Poults already hatched?!

Started by Lone Star Eastern, May 08, 2023, 03:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Star Eastern

Two different days this weekend, I saw a hen in the same spot of a field. I didn't noticed the first day, but the second, I saw a lot of movement in the grass around her. Disbelieving my own theory, I glassed the spot, and saw about a dozen poults with her.

Of course this is an optimistic sign, especially here in East Texas, but if eggs are already hatched, I imagine nesting, and especially breeding is behind us here in my area.

Is this early like I think, or are hatches common in early May here in the south? I didn't expect poults on ground until June.

With one week left in our season, what does this mean for gobbler activity, and strategies hunting them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silvestris

There was about two weeks of unusually hot weather in late February/early March, so weather plays a role in mating.  Plays havoc with the new trend of setting the season later a week or two.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Paulmyr

Counting back, I don't think it would be a stretch to have early nesting from a few hens in late March in any year let alone this year specially in east Tex or any of the southern border/coastal states for that matter.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Lone Star Eastern

With one week left in our season, what does this mean for gobbler activity, and strategies hunting them?

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Lone Star Eastern on May 08, 2023, 07:18:18 PM

Gobbling and jake yelping would surely be my strategy. Three of the four birds I killed this year were with male calling. Hens were on the nest and the boys were getting back together.

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 08, 2023, 08:22:42 PM
Quote from: Lone Star Eastern on May 08, 2023, 07:18:18 PM

Gobbling and jake yelping would surely be my strategy. Three of the four birds I killed this year were with male calling. Hens were on the nest and the boys were getting back together.

This is something new to me that I heard about on a podcast. I've been trying to learn it.

3bailey3

Watch Rodger Parks on youtube about calling with gobbler and jake yelps.

Gooserbat

I'm just glad you have poults
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Shiloh

I was checking a corn field on my place this morning and I have some clover on the east end of it.  When I got to the clover a hen jumped up right in front of my truck and ran across the road and into the woods, but she went hesitantly.  I got out of the truck and could immediately here the chicks whistling, so I eased them into the woods with her.  There were probably 8-10 at least.  I will post the video if I can figure out how.  They were probably only a few days old at most.

Greg Massey

Always good to see poults ...

Tail Feathers

Poults are good but when they are hatched just three weeks into your season, you know it was set real late.  We should have birds mounting now and season ends tomorrow. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 12, 2023, 06:35:36 PM
Poults are good but when they are hatched just three weeks into your season, you know it was set real late.  We should have birds mounting now and season ends tomorrow.
Did you fill your tag in ETX this year?

Tail Feathers

I did.  Amd to prove myself wrong, a buddy on my lease killed one this morning.  Said he had to get real close before fly down but it came
To some soft clucks. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Lone Star Eastern

Nice I never was able to convince one to come into public. I'm going to see if there are any left in KS next week.

bbcoach

Quote from: Tail Feathers on May 12, 2023, 06:35:36 PM
Most States set their seasons for this VERY purpose!  If the seasons were moved back 3 or 4 weeks, the turkey population would be non-existent unless every State had a draw system, you could only hunt a specific number of days and a 1 bird limit (and it is that way in some States now).  Think of it this way, we as hunters get to do what we ENJOY, CHASE these Beautiful birds for about 4 weeks, even if we don't fill our tags.  Personally, I enjoy it just the way it is.  My 2 cents!