turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I’ve heard everything now…

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, May 08, 2023, 10:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

Yesterday morning I was hunting and the turkeys were the most vocal I've heard them be all year.  It was great!  Usually I only hear gobbling, and many mornings I don't even hear that.  Yesterday was different.  Started off normal with 2-3 gobblers firing up here and there.  A couple were gobbling after fly down so I started calling.  A hen fired up cutting and yelping about 100 yards behind me so I threw it back at her.  After we we were cutting and yelping back and forth several more hens joined in.  The one close to me came on in and I let her pass in front of me about 15 yards away and when she went out of site I started back up again.  She went nuts, but this time she circled behind me, fussing all the way.  She got close enough that I could hear her purr and cluck softly but never saw her.  She'd move off and I call her back.  One time I heard something like a muffled gobble came from her direction.  I thought it was a gobbler way off behind her.  It happened a couple more times and I could tell it was close and came from her direction each time.  The gobbles were not that short, but they were weak compared to a male gobbler.  Anyway, I looked it up and some hens can gobble.  I got tired of messing with her after a while but was so excited to hear a hen gobble that I had to tell it.  Any of you heard a hen gobble?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Happy

I have heard domestic hens gobble.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

tad1

That's pretty cool, love experiencing new things in the woods.

Greg Massey

Can't necessarily say I've heard one gobble, but i have had them make unusual sounds. I've had them come hangout most of the morning with me as I'm trying to call a gobbler.  I've also had a hen coming from a different direction taking other hens away in a different direction that were very vocal...  Pretty neat what you see with turkeys as your calling to them..

HookedonHooks

I've heard them gobble and seen them strut on several occasions. Hens in Kansas apparently drink Bud Light often.

turkey stew

I had a hen gobble and semi strut in front of me last season. Really made my hunting day successful!

tracker vi

I ran into one like this in the same spot for 3 years in row.

kloppy

I witnessed a hen do this last spring 80 yds away in a clear cut. She would throw a 1/4 gobble at the end of her yelp sequence.

Chad Gus715

I've heard hens gobble a few different times through the years.

Farmboy27

I've never heard a hen gobble ( at least that I know of). But I've seen videos of it. All I can think of is "great, as if hens haven't messed with me enough over the years"!!  ????

aclawrence

Cool I didn't know they did that. I think I may have heard a hen gobble the other morning now. I got set up on the edge of a cutover and select cut pines while listening to a hen do some soft tree talk. She yelped for a handful of times softly and then I heard this soft muted gobble sound. I knew I heard something but wasn't sure what it was. I thought it may have been a Jake but now it seems more likely it may have just been that hen. I ended up seeing a hen but never saw anything else.

WV Flopper

I have watched two hens at different times gobble.

A guy showed me a video this spring he took on youth day in VA of a hen strutting. He said she strutted for over an hour. Full fan up, wing tips down. Full on strut, it was a cool couple minutes of video.

ferocious calls

I have shot 2 strutting bearded gobbling hens. Once from a recliner chair inside a trailer that was abandoned with the front window gone. The other was last day near noon at a spot I had checked a dozen times that season. There was a Tom there too, but I couldn't believe what I was seeing and had to. She had white spurs.

I raise easterns and have seen quite a bit of strutting and even spit drumming from hens. Have not heard a pen hen gobble though.

There was a hen with another hen and poults that would gobble at me when I would encounter then on my road a few times. It was really cool.

Meleagris gallopavo

I would also like to add that I have seen a hen strut and beat the crap out of a hen decoy.  I have yet to see a bearded hen.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

albrubacker

That's awesome, they always seem to find a way to entertain.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott