OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Poults on the ground

Started by ChesterCopperpot, May 06, 2023, 11:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Spotted the first poults on the ground this morning in the mountains of North Carolina. Crazy early for us. That means she was already sitting when our season started, which mirrors what I saw in the woods. Birds were crazy quiet all season. All four birds that I was a part of killing were killed with jake yelps. A few days ago I saw a group of twelve gobblers and jakes together, which is to say if you weren't calling to the boys you were probably speaking the wrong language. [mention]antnye [/mention]told me he got reports of poults on the ground up high in the Cohutta in Georgia as well. Who else is seeing poults?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

It's always good to see poults .... Regardless it's good news ...

aclawrence

I flushed a hen off her nest yesterday in North Alabama. Haven't seen any poults.

wchadw

I saw poults on ground may 1 in central MS

mountainhunter1

We started seeing them 4/20-4/25.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Gobbler428

Saw 12 poults with their mother last week in the Piedmont of South Carolina, Gobblers have been very quiet for the last two weeks.

Gobbler428

Found this three weeks ago central SC

bbcoach

Two years ago, on the final Thursday of our NC season (May 6th), a buddy and I saw 10 poults with Mom.  I've been told by several of our State biologists that our season start date is set so that around 75% of the hens have been bred before the opener.  This sighting Amazed us but if you count back this hen had to have been bred around the first to middle of March to have had a brood of 10 very healthy poults by the 6th of May.

guesswho

Saw my first ones last week in Alabama.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Prohunter3509

I have game camera photo of hen with pouts april 13th
Here in ms

310 gauge

Very true bbcoach. Got a friend that had trail cam pictures of two different hens on the nest early March in  a couple of Counties North of you.

Bedge7767

Jim

slave601

Quote from: Prohunter3509 on May 06, 2023, 04:13:59 PM
I have game camera photo of hen with pouts april 13th
Here in ms
The birds definitely got an early start here in Mississippi.
"thinnin the flock"