OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Off the Fence

Started by zelmo1, April 30, 2023, 02:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Flopper

No matter the sport, there is someone that will take advantage!

Youth hunts are a good thing, and yes, WV has age restrictions.

vt35mag

Several years ago I stopped at a gas station on the VT/NH line on my way to muzzleload in NH and overheard a guy talking to a friend of his about how his son got a deer first thing of the VT youth deer season, and having to go home and wake up his son so they could go recover and report the deer...
Cheaters/poachers will be cheaters/poachers. The worst thing is they are teaching it and passing it on.

I HOPE that these people account for a very small percentage of the people participating in the youth seasons.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Howieg

All kids are different,  I started both my boys when I thought they could handle there guns without to much help . My older started at 8 , my youngest at 7 .  My youngest is now 9 and ate up with it , has killed several now .  My older loves bow hunting and bass fishing . He killed several , but now he doesn't even ask to hunt turkeys anymore,, you either love it or not I reckon .

Sir-diealot

I think that is should be lowered to at least 10, maybe 8
    Eligible hunters are youth 12, 13, 14, or 15 years of age, holding a hunting license and a turkey permit.
    All youth hunters must be accompanied by an adult, as required by law for a junior hunter.
        Youth 12 or 13 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, legal guardian or person over 21 years of age, with written permission from their parent or legal guardian.
        Youth 14 or 15 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, legal guardian or person over 18 years of age, with written permission from their parent or legal guardian.
    The accompanying adult must have a current hunting license and turkey permit. S/he may assist the youth hunter (including calling), but may not carry a firearm, bow or crossbow, or kill or attempt to kill a wild turkey during the youth hunt. Crossbows may not be used by licensees who are under 14 years of age.
    The youth hunt is for spring turkey hunting only and is a two-day weekend hunt. The youth hunt will always precede the start of the regular season by at least 3 days. Check the turkey season page or the Hunting and Trapping Regulations Guide for season dates.
    The youth turkey hunt is open in all of upstate New York (north of the Bronx-Westchester County boundary) and Suffolk County. Shooting hours are from 1/2-hour before sunrise to noon.
    The bag limit for the youth hunt is one bearded bird. This bird becomes part of the youth's regular season bag limit of two bearded birds. A second bird may be taken in upstate New York (north of the Bronx-Westchester County boundary) beginning May 1st.
    All other wild turkey hunting regulations remain in effect.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

sasquatch1

Shot my first limit of teal at 4. Whole a lot of ppl milk the system don't think young kids are incapable of shooting a gun.

Loyalist84

I've got a hard time with anyone too to spell their name going on a youth hunt. I was going out with my father as long as I could walk with him, around age 5 or so. I wasn't given the opportunity to shoot until I was able to understand the ramifications of death and be trusted to understand and demonstrate firearm safety. Then I had to pass my Apprentice Hunter's Course and my Firearms Course (mandatory weekend in Canada) at 12 before I could carry my own gun and buy my own licenses. While getting kids into the woods is a great idea and I'm behind the idea of youth seasons as something we could implement up here, I think at least an 8-year bottom limit would cover the majority of kids being able to understand the ramifications of their actions, so to speak, and participate actively in the hunt, not just be a carry-on for their parents like the 3-year-old being carried in.

sasquatch1

Quote from: Loyalist84 on April 30, 2023, 08:24:23 PM
I've got a hard time with anyone too to spell their name going on a youth hunt. I was going out with my father as long as I could walk with him, around age 5 or so. I wasn't given the opportunity to shoot until I was able to understand the ramifications of death and be trusted to understand and demonstrate firearm safety. Then I had to pass my Apprentice Hunter's Course and my Firearms Course (mandatory weekend in Canada) at 12 before I could carry my own gun and buy my own licenses. While getting kids into the woods is a great idea and I'm behind the idea of youth seasons as something we could implement up here, I think at least an 8-year bottom limit would cover the majority of kids being able to understand the ramifications of their actions, so to speak, and participate actively in the hunt, not just be a carry-on for their parents like the 3-year-old being carried in.
They are not required to understand every ramification of their actions. That's what the accompanying adult is for and how else do you teach them?!?

I'd put some 4-5 year olds that been going along most of their existence against an inside 8 year old that reviews flash cards and practices with his air soft gun all day long

Not everything is learned from essentially a classroom.

I was watching and riding along with  my dad and his friends going to get pigs out pig traps and stuff like that while I was still in diapers! Hell I went on my first week long tent camping duck hunting trip down river in Venice Louisiana at 5. Age means nothing and there isn't a maturity test.

And please, the hunter safety course isn't doing anything measurable, if the parent can't do it a few videos sure won't.

Some of you all can't help but cry about everything.

Simple rule if you worried about adults hunting. When checked the kid has to hold the gun and shoot a target on his own to prove he was hunting. If he can't with bare minimum assistance write the ticket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wvmntnhick

Quote from: sswv on April 30, 2023, 03:35:42 PM
in WV a kid has to be 8 years old to take part in any youth hunt
This ^^^

Mine are 9 and 12 now. The 9 y/o could care less until big sis scores. Then she'll go. Or if her friend goes along. The 12 y/o isn't ate up with it but I don't push it. I'll ask her but if she doesn't want to go, I'm not going to make her. At 3 y/o, it's someone else doing the hunting. I helped them with their first deer. They've been on their own since. Oldest killed a turkey couple years ago. Youngest can't get up in time to go. She's a late sleeper like her momma. But they should def regulate ages on such things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wigsplitter

Arkansas has this pretty right for youth hunting -must be 6 years old to participate and they have a weekend- not a week - to get to hunt ahead of the regular season - it's that way for turkey - deer - and ducks- seems to be working fine

Prospector

I don't personally hunt or agree with the Youth season concept myself. I mean, take a kid hunting- that's awesome- but do so when everyone else who buys tags and licenses can as well.
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

zelmo1

It's youth hunting, not " I got a kid so I get extra tags" weekend. If the kid is into it, push him along. Being a safe great shooter at 4 is definitely the exception to the rule. I agree, all kids are different. My point is it's for the kids, not the parents to extend their season.  :z-twocents: Z

g8rvet

Quote from: Prospector on May 01, 2023, 05:23:10 AM
I don't personally hunt or agree with the Youth season concept myself. I mean, take a kid hunting- that's awesome- but do so when everyone else who buys tags and licenses can as well.
While I disagree with your take on the youth season, I always said for me and my son and nephews, youth season was all season.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Marc

Not sure how it works in other states, but in California, a youth must pass hunter's safety and have a valid hunting license to participate in youth hunts?

No way a 3 year old is capable of passing a hunters safety test in any state...  And no way they are capable of handling a firearm of any kind safely.

As a parent, I understand the enthusiasm of getting a kid into the field and hunting at an early age.  I learned the hard way, that while it can be encouraged, it should NOT be "pushed."  Some kids are not intellectually capable, some are not physically capable...  I believe you have to wait until the child is both, before putting a firearm in their little hands.

As to the junior hunts...  They can be a great opportunity for children...  They can also be abused by greedy parents (i.e. daddy is shooting the turkey).  I also see a lot of kids going hunting on the junior hunts, and staying home the rest of the season (with waterfowl and turkey).

I have daughters...  My oldest went on her first hunt on a junior hunt...  But...  She was given the opportunity to go before that.  Last season she went with me on about 5 hunts (outside of the junior hunt), and neither of my children will ever be denied to join me when they want...   It takes a tremendous amount more effort when taking a child into the field, and it is far less about a "successful hunt," and far more about creating an enjoyable experience for the child.

My personal feeling is that most kids are not both emotionally and physically mature enough until 9-10 years old, and often later...  There are exceptions, and there are also situational exceptions as well...  For the most part I do not judge...  But taking a 2, 3, or 4 year old on a junior hunt...  I am going to judge there, and would hope that the hammer comes down on more of these "parents," to discourage such.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

dublelung

I'm against age limits due to different children being able to accomplish different things at different ages. Everyone knows when a dad is f.o.s. and taking advantage of the system. If you see it then report it but don't hate on some other kid and his/her dad because your own kid can't stay still or shoot a gun at that age. 5 years old seems to be about the youngest you'll see someone able to shoot a shotgun of any size but I know of a few 4 year olds that have got it done. My son was 9 before he was able to sit still enough and be quite enough to kill his first youth gobbler and my grandson was 7.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: g8rvet on April 30, 2023, 05:14:22 PM
Taking my 3 year old grandson, and I love him more than life, would be a 100% guarantee of no gobblers in the same county! 

SHOOT HIM POPS   SHOOT HIM.

That is not a turkey, it is a buzzard, and he is about a half mile away.

AWWWWWW  I WANNA PLAY LEGOS.  CAN I WATCH YOUR PHONE   CAN WE GO NOW  I AM HUNGRY  I WANT TO CHASE THESE BUTTERFLIES  CAN TURTLES RUN?  IS IT TIME TO GO?  WHAT ARE WE HAVING FOR LUNCH?  IT IS FUNNY HOW YOU MAKE YOUR FACE TURN RED POPS.  ARE WE GOING NOW?  WHY DO YOU KEEP SAYING I AM JUST LIKE MY MOMMA?

That type Father/Son excursion no one will have a problem with. Clearly you are not out there trying to beat the system and it is good to get them out there early just to begin to digest some small parts of the hunt anyway even is shooting a bird is a ways off. He will be in a good spot a little later to become the shooter on the hunt.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13