turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Off the Fence

Started by zelmo1, April 30, 2023, 02:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

This is a heated topic, age of youth hunters. I saw a guy limping into the woods on a tote road, no kid. It's youth weekend here. He had a gun, decoy and no kid. I slowed down to ask him WTH he was doing when I saw the reason he was limping. There was a 3ish year old wrapped around his leg, carrying him in the woods. I find it hard to believe this very small child could handle the gun or even really cared if he was there or playing with legos. We are supposed to be teaching them the right way, it really looked like it was for the dad not the kid.  :z-twocents: Z

Turkeybutt

Youth day should have an age range. Like you, I doubt a 3 year old could handle the shotgun. IMO it was all about dad using his kid and getting a jump on regular season.

joey46

Been that way since the "youth seasons" were initiated.  A law enforcement problem.

Greg Massey

I agree, it has been an ongoing problem for years... I agree with some that Youth season is no longer that at all...

Tom007

Anyone person taking advantage of youth day by dragging a child that isn't hunting into the woods so they can hunt should lose their license for life. Youth day is just that, for youths and their introduction into hunting. Just my thoughts on this. Teaching them to be an outlaw at any age will surely lead to problems down the road for sure.
"Solo hunter"

357MAGNOLE

That's wild. I have 3 boys, none of which want to wake up early enough to go hunting. My youngest is 6, and for me personally I still wouldn't trust him to hunt with me. Maybe a couple more years. Every situation is different and I'm sure there's plenty here who have had children younger then 6 shoot a birt but none of mine earlier then 8 could handle going.

And even then, if it's a youth hunt no way a toddler new to be out there. Age cut off should be a thing but what age idk. 5? 8? 10?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

sswv

in WV a kid has to be 8 years old to take part in any youth hunt

Vintage

Thats the age range they should have in all states.

TonyTurk

Lawbreakers will always find ways to break or skirt the law.  Setting a minimum age for youth season won't stop them.  They will break that law, just like they break all the others.  We have laws against roost shooting and shooting turkeys from vehicles but that doesn't stop them.

ShortMagFan

I took my son on his last youth hunt at age 17 earlier this season. Honestly 17 is too old.  I joked that if they are driving themselves to the farm, staying out after midnight and shaving, they shouldn't qualify as youth. Guess I'll have to find someone with a 3 year old to hunt with next season...

Clif Owen

Youth season is kind of a sore subject with me. We have a week for youths to deer hunt before adults get the chance. I know a guy that shot his season limit of deer that week one year (6). He lives literally across the road from his spot. I told him he really wasn't who the special season was designed to benefit. He and his father didn't see it that way. But truthfully, he didn't need a head start on the rest of us. They are the type that believes that limits are merely suggestions of what we should do.
I wouldn't want the youths to lose their special season but it's obviously being abused. No 4 or 5 year old is going to want to shoot a shotgun. Most cant handle the weight of a real gun; even just a 22. Not to mention the recoil.

g8rvet

Taking my 3 year old grandson, and I love him more than life, would be a 100% guarantee of no gobblers in the same county! 

SHOOT HIM POPS   SHOOT HIM.

That is not a turkey, it is a buzzard, and he is about a half mile away.

AWWWWWW  I WANNA PLAY LEGOS.  CAN I WATCH YOUR PHONE   CAN WE GO NOW  I AM HUNGRY  I WANT TO CHASE THESE BUTTERFLIES  CAN TURTLES RUN?  IS IT TIME TO GO?  WHAT ARE WE HAVING FOR LUNCH?  IT IS FUNNY HOW YOU MAKE YOUR FACE TURN RED POPS.  ARE WE GOING NOW?  WHY DO YOU KEEP SAYING I AM JUST LIKE MY MOMMA? 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Howieg

Several years back I lived in a house that borders a piece of government ground .
Opening day of youth season I walked outside and hear a shot gun fire tight to my property line .  I walked into the timber to find two 25 year old guys looking into a creek bottom .  Then I see a very small kid , Probly around 6 years old , there was a 12 ga 870 shotgun learning against a tree , ,, no way this lil boy shot that gun .  The guys said he missed a gobbler . I told them both they where full of —— ! .

tal

They can wait their turn just like I did... LOL

Farmboy27

I agree that there should be a minimum age. I feel 6 is about right. After that it's up to the parents to decide if they're ready or not. Some kids won't be. Some will. My friends boy killed his first bird at 6 years old with a Remington sp10. My son has been using a 3.5" 12 since he was 8. They both could handle guns and never had any fear of recoil. And they both could sit more still at 6 than a lot of adults I've hunted with.