OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ban This, Ban That!

Started by guesswho, April 29, 2023, 09:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurs

:TooFunny:

This is an idea that may bring the turkey hunting community back together.
This year is going to suck!!!

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on April 29, 2023, 01:04:21 PM
Can we add boxcalls to the list? I had a promising hunt ruined this morning from a few fellows from another state today. I won't say the state but when I meet people of this class and sophistication from this state, I refer to them as Pensyld$^ks. I called a gobbler up to 35 yards, I wanted him another 5 yards closer because of the gun I was using, but he was nervous and tucked his wings and walked off. Gave him  a bit and relocated a bit on him. Got him fired back up and working. Gobbling better than before. He was coming down a dirt road, and all of a sudden, a truck comes bouncing down the road. Drives about 100 yards past me, and two fellows get out and start working box calls like pruning shears. I just sat there and took in the magnificent performance. Turkey never gobbled again. . Not sure why.
Happy did you happen to get the licence plate number?    :TooFunny:

Old Timer

Can we add boxcalls to the list? I had a promising hunt ruined this morning from a few fellows from another state today. I won't say the state but when I meet people of this class and sophistication from this state, I refer to them as Pensyld$^ks. I called a gobbler up to 35 yards, I wanted him another 5 yards closer because of the gun I was using, but he was nervous and tucked his wings and walked off. Gave him  a bit and relocated a bit on him. Got him fired back up and working. Gobbling better than before. He was coming down a dirt road, and all of a sudden, a truck comes bouncing down the road. Drives about 100 yards past me, and two fellows get out and start working box calls like pruning shears. I just sat there and took in the magnificent performance. Turkey never gobbled again. . Not sure why.
I can understand your frustration. I think any of us who have been at this game for awhile have experienced such things.No ethics or common sense. Hope you get em next time and im thinking you will. Good luck!

Happy

I ain't too worried about it. I got plenty of time. Besides, I got to hear the holy grail of turkey calls. The kee kee, cackle, cluster call.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

joey46

I've noticed if they don't respond to my first hoot they don't respond at all.  Fun to "hoot" and carry on however. Lol.

Cowboy

I was trying to roost a bird the other night and a small black pickup drove up to me. I was parked just off the edge of the road. They slowed down, tapped the brake lights, and literally drove just 75 to 100 yards passed me. They proceeded to exit their truck then gave their rendition of the trademarked HUNTING PUBLIC SCREECH and followed it with worse owl hooting I've ever heard. First off, they knew what I was doing there, they saw me point blank looking at them and yet they didn't give 2 s#!$. Bunch of rude clowns out there nowadays.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

guesswho

I bet my guy this morning could have give them a run for their money on the worst owl hooting, followed by bottom 10 mouth caller I have ever heard, maybe bottom 5.  They would alternate owl hoot, fast Yelp on a mouth call, listen repeat, walk 50 yards,  repeat :TooFunny:   I just tell myself he probably paid the same amount of money for his license as I did so he's entitled to spend his Saturday however he  wants.      One thing about it, I'm pretty sure he isn't  responsible for our turkey population decline. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

Quote from: guesswho on April 29, 2023, 05:50:34 PM
I bet my guy this morning could have give them a run for their money on the worst owl hooting, followed by bottom 10 mouth caller I have ever heard, maybe bottom 5.  They would alternate owl hoot, fast Yelp on a mouth call, listen repeat, walk 50 yards,  repeat :TooFunny:   I just tell myself he probably paid the same amount of money for his license as I did so he's entitled to spend his Saturday however he  wants.      One thing about it, I'm pretty sure he isn't  responsible for our turkey population decline.
Just think of all the great memories you made this morning .. they are priceless

guesswho

Priceless might be a stretch :D, but it did beat sitting at home watching the grass grow.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Marc

Make everybody hunt naked except for boots (body camo allowed of course).  No vest, one call, a gun, and one shell...  For the season.  I believe that would cut down on the crowds... :goofball:
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

El Pavo Grande

I've got nothing against hooters.  I like hooters.  In fact I loved hooters.  The world would be less of place without them. 

aclawrence

That's funny. I usually try to avoid hooting until it's past the gobbling time and everything is quiet. Usually at that point I will hoot and nothing will gobble anyway.  The other morning I hooted in one of those scenarios. After the hoot came out I thought to myself "wow that sounded pretty good, and dang these turkeys for not gobbling". It was just a few seconds later I was surrounded by crows and they were making all kinds of racket. Still no gobbles. Everything worked perfectly excellent the turkey response. Then I was really unsure if there was a gobbler around but decided to commit to the area anyway since I was there and walked the bottom out for the next area. I should have just left lol. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aclawrence

Almost the exact same thing happened to me this weekend. It shut that gobbler down and the hunt was over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Oh.   I didn't know you were hunting there..............   :begging:

Don't worry.  I'm done with the box call thing.  From here on out, I'm making mock scrapes with Dr. Tom's turkey scent and quietly hunting downwind of them.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

guesswho

Quote from: Marc on April 29, 2023, 10:45:00 PM
Make everybody hunt naked except for boots (body camo allowed of course).  No vest, one call, a gun, and one shell...  For the season.  I believe that would cut down on the crowds... :goofball:
That could bring the whole baiting issue into play.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff