turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

YouTube Influence

Started by guesswho, April 28, 2023, 08:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

No, not another youtube bashing thread, and no disrespect for the Youtube hero's.  I personally don't watch any of them, but read on every forum about their massive influence.   I've read where a lot of folks now smoke a cigar, take a shot of Wild Turkey, and use a Trumpet because of some YouTube videos.   Again I'm not bashing, and wish them all continued success.   But now that turkey season is winding down I would love to see some of these cool kid groups use their influence to promote predator control.  Maybe a few off season Kill-A-Coon-Save-Turkey episodes would inspire some of their followers to do the same.  I know I recently joined the ranks of trapping on the weekends.   I'm not taking out many, but I'm taking out a lot more than before.  This sure wouldn't hurt the turkeys future.  And I know it would generate the YouTuber at least one more like and a subscriber.   And if no one does any videos like this, please take it amongst yourselves to do what you can when you can on predator reduction.  In the end, it all boils down to our individual efforts.   Even if it's like my efforts, it's better than sitting back and complaining about the decline in turkey populations while doing nothing about it.  This is one of those deals where every little bit helps.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Dazzler

unfortunately, ain't no money in trapping.  Also, off season is for editing bonus footage, trail cams for the deer tour and "dropping new merch"

SimanOhio

Funny you bring this up, as a YouTube hero you despise i was recently on a podcast discussing the decline of the wild turkey, and obviously this subject was at the forefront.

We talked about how we need someone popular (we used Clay Newcomb and Bear Grease as the example) to get the ball rolling on making nest predator hunting and trapping cool again.

Some exposure, any exposure, would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guesswho

Quote from: SimanOhio on April 28, 2023, 09:01:53 AM
Funny you bring this up, as a YouTube hero you despise
If that's what you got out of my post I apologize.  I don't despise any of them, I just don't watch for the same reasons I don't watch regular tv or movies.   Lack of attention span on my part.   I applaud you for your efforts using your platform to promote this topic on a podcast.   Well done, I hope others follow that example. 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: guesswho on April 28, 2023, 08:52:22 AM
No, not another youtube bashing thread, and no disrespect for the Youtube hero's.  I personally don't watch any of them, but read on every forum about their massive influence.   I've read where a lot of folks now smoke a cigar, take a shot of Wild Turkey, and use a Trumpet because of some YouTube videos.   Again I'm not bashing, and wish them all continued success.   But now that turkey season is winding down I would love to see some of these cool kid groups use their influence to promote predator control.  Maybe a few off season Kill-A-Coon-Save-Turkey episodes would inspire some of their followers to do the same.  I know in recently joined the ranks of trapping in the weekends.   I'm not taking out many, but I'm taking out a lot more than before.  This sure wouldn't hurt the turkeys future.  And I know it would generate them at least one more like and a subscriber.   And if no one does any videos like this, please take it amongst yourselves to do what you can when you can on predator reduction.  In the end, it all boils down to our individual efforts.   Even if it's like my efforts, it's better than sitting back and complaining about the decline in turkey populations.  This is one of those deals where every little helps.
I agree with you 100%. I pulled the traps out of storage that I use to run when I was a kid and out of school and started setting heavy on my place and a friends farm that I hunt. After three years of this I have witnessed an increase in the turkeys. If it's legal to take in Ohio, I don't let it out of the trap alive. I got my son involved with me and he is hooked on trapping. I really enjoy matching wits and catching coyotes, you have to be on your a game especially after they have saw 2 or 3 members of there pack caught in traps. I encourage every Turkey hunter to set a couple dozen traps every season. It don't take long to put a hurting on the raccoons and possums. Take your kids with you. It will be another way for you to enjoy spending time with each other and keep your kids out of bad things this world offers. Most trapping seasons are still in after all the deer hunting is over.

Spitten and drummen

I don't know about anyone else's situation but down here where I'm from corn feeders are legal for deer. The deer hunters around and on my place run feeders year round. I trap coons every year on my 1250 acres. I take at least 50 during the year. That's a average number I'm throwing out. I have done this for the last 8 years. I feel that the feeders have helped the coon population explode. In my area anyway. It seems that for every one I trap , 2 show up. Guys running feeders have trail cams on these feeders. I trap close to them because I know that's a sure bet on trapping them. I have seen pics of at least a dozen coons around a feeder after I had caught 5. I continue to catch them and trail cams show I'm not putting a dent in them. I will continue to do my part but in my opinion I really believe that the surplus of food all over the property and adjoining properties help support a growing population. In my opinion the explosion of the coon population is because of the feeders and unless something is done about that then trapping is almost frutile. I don't see the practice of running feeders for deer going away. I commend anyone who is trying and encourage everyone to keep doing so.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

SimanOhio

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 28, 2023, 10:02:26 AM
I don't know about anyone else's situation but down here where I'm from corn feeders are legal for deer. The deer hunters around and on my place run feeders year round. I trap coons every year on my 1250 acres. I take at least 50 during the year. That's a average number I'm throwing out. I have done this for the last 8 years. I feel that the feeders have helped the coon population explode. In my area anyway. It seems that for every one I trap , 2 show up. Guys running feeders have trail cams on these feeders. I trap close to them because I know that's a sure bet on trapping them. I have seen pics of at least a dozen coons around a feeder after I had caught 5. I continue to catch them and trail cams show I'm not putting a dent in them. I will continue to do my part but in my opinion I really believe that the surplus of food all over the property and adjoining properties help support a growing population. In my opinion the explosion of the coon population is because of the feeders and unless something is done about that then trapping is almost frutile. I don't see the practice of running feeders for deer going away. I commend anyone who is trying and encourage everyone to keep doing so.
I 100% agree with this and is the main topic of conversation on the podcast i was on. It's not posted yet but I'll link it when I do.

SimanOhio

Quote from: guesswho on April 28, 2023, 09:08:43 AM
Quote from: SimanOhio on April 28, 2023, 09:01:53 AM
Funny you bring this up, as a YouTube hero you despise
If that's what you got out of my post I apologize.  I don't despise any of them, I just don't watch for the same reasons I don't watch regular tv or movies.   Lack of attention span on my part.   I applaud you for your efforts using your platform to promote this topic on a podcast.   Well done, I hope others follow that example.
I was just giving you a hard time, I know how you-tubers are viewed here so I like to shout it at the mountain tops that I am one, lol.

GobbleNut

I agree that predator control can and would make a lot of difference in helping turkey populations in a lot of cases.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of complications with taking that approach. 

Probably, the biggest complication is that overall, the general, non-hunting public pretty much frowns on killing animals so that human hunters can have more of another animal to kill.  We hunters must tread lightly in that regard.  Too much "press" on the matter is sure to bring out the crowd that will do everything they can to eliminate killing predators to benefit hunters.  That is just the reality we live in today.  We always have to take into account that wildlife belongs to everybody, not just those that want to hunt it,...and we hunters are a very small minority in today's society.  That "wildlife belongs to everybody" comment INCLUDES wildlife that is found on private property! 

Having said that, right now we are in a place where I think MOST of the general public is not paying a lot of attention to folks controlling predators on their private property, but it is best to keep it low key.  On public ground, it is another matter altogether.  Trapping on public lands in a number of states has already been outlawed, and more and more states are headed in that direction.  The bottom line is that, whether talking about public lands or private, it is best to be discreet in promoting this sort of stuff. 

Regarding public lands, here is the reality.  Wildlife agencies are most likely NOT going to pursue any sort of formal policy to control predators,...at least not for the benefit of hunters.  So where does that leave us?  We must look at alternatives that are acceptable to the general public,...that general public that controls our futures as hunters. 

Probably, the most obvious alternative is to provide habitat that minimizes the impact of predators on turkey populations,...and more specifically provides those factors needed for nesting success and survival of poults to that stage where they can more effectively avoid predation.  Unfortunately, at least on public ground, that is a monumental,...and monumentally expensive,...task.  Again, the reality is that such an effort is not going to be made on behalf of the 3-5% of the population that hunts.

So what are other alternatives?  In my opinion, the "saving grace" lies in accepting the fact that we will have to go back to the same policies that resulted in the wild turkey population explosion we had a half-century ago.  That is artificially "supporting" turkey populations through programs of supplementation,...that is, trap and transplant operations to supplement adult turkey numbers, artificial methods (to be determined) of ensuring nesting success and poult survival, and maybe even such unorthodox approaches like prey-base flooding to provide alternative, and easier, prey to predators. 

Of course, the above commentary is based on the premise that predators are the/a major problem in the current suppression of turkey populations.  That, in itself, has not been TOTALLY determined to be THE primary factor.  Regardless, there is no doubt they are a factor.  I applaud those that are in circumstances where they can take action to mitigate the predator problem to whatever degree possible.  Just remember to do it discreetly.  I can assure you that there are plenty of people out there watching...   :icon_thumright:

guesswho

Gobblegoob, did I mention my attention span?  I'm going to have to wait for someone to give me the cliff notes.  ;D
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

I think one way to help the overall predator problem is to promote a seminar alongside the NWTF Chapter banquets in all state local chapters.  In doing this you are having an increased interest in saving the nesting of the turkeys and showing how important trapping can be to the overall turkey population.  In other words get the people involved that this will mean the most to, trying to save the turkeys for the future.  IMO... Same with seminars on trapping at these call shows like Unicoi and other sport shows.  WE are the ones who need to be promoting all of this to save the turkeys and the importance of trapping nest predators ... IMO... At least this will be a start in helping in some way...  I agree with GobbleNut keep this among the people it will mean the most, hunters and protecting the wild turkeys.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: guesswho on April 28, 2023, 10:48:26 AM
Gobblegoob, did I mention my attention span?  I'm going to have to wait for someone to give me the cliff notes.  ;D

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Cowboy

We actually bought my step son ( he's 12 ) some steel traps. Dog proof coon traps. We are going to hit it this year.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

guesswho

Quote from: Cowboy on April 28, 2023, 12:33:31 PM
We actually bought my step son ( he's 12 ) some steel traps. Dog proof coon traps. We are going to hit it this year.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
And I bet y'all enjoy it.   Good luck :icon_thumright:
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

2flyfish4

Call me a puss, but I dont do much predator trapping anymore bc I really didn't like killing animals stuck in a trap. I get that its the best think for turkey. But I imagine most people don't like it either and thats why most don't do it.

I follow a social media person who routinely post videos of shooting coons caught in a trap. Everytime I see it, it reminds me why I dont like it.