OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What About This Idea On The Out Of State Hunter?

Started by mountainhunter1, April 27, 2023, 04:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DumpTruckTurkey

Lots of whining about out of state hunters on here!
My state is MD and we can kill 2, which sometimes happens very fast!
Im also close to VA which is allowed 3 birds, and season comes in quite a bite earlier.
I also want to get all 4 subs.
I hunt public land and the best advice I can give it:  hunt weekdays, hunt late mornings, and scout hard before any openers.

Population decline is preadtors.  That should be common knowledge by now. 
We trap 40-50 coons of maybe each 200 acres and it helps, trust me.

This is like the old statement, if ya cant beat em... join em.  Its not anyones fault if you have a bunch of kids, your job sucks or you dont get much vacation.  Cry me a river LOL.

You think OOS turkey hunting is bad? or hunters are bad?  Come to my state that gets POUNDED by Sika deer hunters for no extra $$$ and they are in a small area and its the only place you can shoot them in the WORLD.
Heck with a turkey they are everywhere and relatively easy to kill.

howl

Government regulation nearly always has negative unintended consequences. We need social solutions.

Archivist13

Quote from: DumpTruckTurkey on April 28, 2023, 01:10:15 PM
Im also close to VA which is allowed 3 birds, and season comes in quite a bite earlier.
I hunt public land and the best advice I can give it:  hunt weekdays, hunt late mornings, and scout hard before any openers.

This is like the old statement, if ya cant beat em... join em.  Its not anyones fault if you have a bunch of kids, your job sucks or you dont get much vacation.  Cry me a river LOL.

You think OOS turkey hunting is bad? or hunters are bad?  Come to my state that gets POUNDED by Sika deer hunters for no extra $$$ and they are in a small area and its the only place you can shoot them in the WORLD.

I'm in Southern Maryland and wish we had these easy to kill public land birds that you are mentioning! Then again, all our public land areas are pretty small and loaded with people. Totally agree with everything else you said though. Weekdays and late mornings seem to be the key here as well.

Mossberg90MN

This sounds like it would set everybody up for a US slam. Versus them maybe doing there average routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowboy

Quote from: howl on April 28, 2023, 03:31:22 PM
Government regulation nearly always has negative unintended consequences. We need social solutions.
X2.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

nativeks

Quote from: DumpTruckTurkey on April 28, 2023, 01:10:15 PM

Except the population declines are not just predators. They are a piece of the pie. I truly believe there is something more sinister getting them like disease. I have restored native grass, and I trap heavily for predators (as well as calling predators). The bobwhite quail have responded favorably, however the turkeys have not. In addition, data compiled by the state of Kansas on heavily trapped properties show turkey populations on those properties also declining at the same rate as the rest of the state.

The fact is we can not continue to hunt them like it is 2005. We evolved much faster than the turkeys can. Hunting has always been based on the fact that we are harvesting surplus birds. However many biologists (and non biologists like myself) believe we have crossed over from compensatory to additive mortality. I know many on here would be ecstatic to shoot the last gobbler in the state and due it with a smile on their face, but at some point it has to become more about what the resource can handle and less about what we want.

El Pavo Grande

Maybe if the influencers would quit promoting public land and #49, it would work itself out in time.  That would be the most logical start. 

Marc

Quote from: Louisiana Longbeard on April 27, 2023, 04:45:10 PM
No way in hades. Who is going to keep up with all that. I can answer that no one.

I agree!

A logistical nightmare....

Goverment agencies are notoriously poor at any level of orgaization, and this would be be a costly venture that causes more problems than it creates.  I cannot for the life of me, name a single solitary successful government program, and I highly doubt that this would be the first.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on May 01, 2023, 11:29:27 AM
Maybe if the influencers would quit promoting public land and #49, it would work itself out in time.  That would be the most logical start.

But how else would they support their starving families? Or feed their narcissist personality disorders? Can't get the fame they seek otherwise.
And they are more successful at recruiting turkey hunters than anything we've ever seen. More turkey hunters = more turkeys they say. We need all the turkey hunters we can get!

dzsmith

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on April 27, 2023, 04:41:18 PM
I will throw this out there again, why not let everyone hunt out of state wherever they want on public land and as often as they want until they kill a bird in any of the states on public land? They then take a year off from just that one state(s) where they killed a bird the year before. But they can still hunt the other 40 something states that they did not kill a Tom in the previous year the next season.

For example, if a hunter travels out of state to Tennessee, Alabama and North Carolina and kills a Tom on public land in all three of those states, they then next year can still travel and hunt out of state, but those three states listed above will be off the list for them just for one season. They would still have dozens of states that they could go and hunt the next spring season, and the year after that, those three states they killed on public previously are back in the mix for them.

There would have to be a loophole for out of state residents who pay property taxes in multiple states, as I do not think that you can fairly take their tax money and yet not let them participate as the rest of the taxpayers in that said state. If a person is on a lease out of state, they could still be allowed to come and hunt that lease, but they would not be able to hunt public for twelve months in that same state if they killed a bird on public land in that same state the previous season.

The good thing about this, no one is losing privileges long term which is the concern of many. I am not opposed to out of state hunting personally, and all this idea would do is slow the killing rate of the hunters going from state to state without taking anyone's rights away permanently which to me is contrary to what America was intended to be. The out of state hunter just won't kill as many turkeys in any one state as they were previously, but yet they can still enjoy hunting all across the country each year just the same since we have so many states and plenty of public land.
wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. I've no intention on repeating places I've already killed over and over and over . Not to say I would never try some again.... But it would be a while . I love the idea personally . Do I think it would work? Probably not. It would shatter a lot of people who live in border state areas that are used to being game hogs / or simply chose to hunt a border state because they have nothing to hunt where they live . people would lose their minds for sure . But to answer the question , yes I think it's a great idea .
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

joey46

Totally not enforceable. Feel good ideas are just that "feel good".  I'm noticing on this thread and the similar one on that other forum that very few are adding their out of state kills to the current harvest threads.  Seems a lot of traveling hunters have decided to keep things quiet.  Might be a good idea under the current climate of anti non-res hunting.

GobbleNut

Quote from: 2flyfish4 on April 28, 2023, 12:44:20 PM
I would say limiting non residents to 1 over the counter turkey tag per year is sufficient. Then depending on the turkey population and harvest stats allow non residents to enter into a state drawing for additional tags.

I think this would be a fair and equitable solution. The states could further only allocate X amount of additional tags to non-residents/residents and even charge a substantial surcharge for that additional tag.

Prefacing my remark with the statement that if we can just solve the nesting success/poult survival problem, a lot of these concerns would be moot,...or at least lessened to some degree.

Having stated that, I agree with your proposal, flyfish.  It would seem to me to be the simplest and most equitable solution to providing hunting opportunity for the most folks while at the same time providing some level of protection to the resource.  Until the reproduction/survival problem is solved, turkey hunters are going to have to accept that the days of liberal bag limits and unlimited hunting opportunity are over.  Full Stop. Period.  Mic. Drop.

Greg Massey

One way you could possibly do it is break the state up in 3 or 4 different units and only sell a limited number of tags for each unit .. Tennessee for example is broken up in units, so in each of these units you sell a limited number of tags... This way a state can control the number of OOS travelers ... 

silvestris

Soylent Green is PEOPLE.  Too many people hunting a limited resource.  It is not going to get better.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

joey46

Eliminate OOS at all cost and the problem is solved.  All these OOS comments have become self-serving and silly.  I, having completed a FL season on 4/23, may go north for a second hunt.  No longer worth posting details or results.  Hypocrisy at it's finest.
Add  - after years of wishing and planning finally hit a western state last May.  Does that mean I must hunt 40+ other states before returning to this one ?  Get real. A one bird limit in ANY state would solve most concerned.  A resident limit over two is a political cave in.