OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What About This Idea On The Out Of State Hunter?

Started by mountainhunter1, April 27, 2023, 04:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainhunter1

I will throw this out there again, why not let everyone hunt out of state wherever they want on public land and as often as they want until they kill a bird in any of the states on public land? They then take a year off from just that one state(s) where they killed a bird the year before. But they can still hunt the other 40 something states that they did not kill a Tom in the previous year the next season.

For example, if a hunter travels out of state to Tennessee, Alabama and North Carolina and kills a Tom on public land in all three of those states, they then next year can still travel and hunt out of state, but those three states listed above will be off the list for them just for one season. They would still have dozens of states that they could go and hunt the next spring season, and the year after that, those three states they killed on public previously are back in the mix for them.

There would have to be a loophole for out of state residents who pay property taxes in multiple states, as I do not think that you can fairly take their tax money and yet not let them participate as the rest of the taxpayers in that said state. If a person is on a lease out of state, they could still be allowed to come and hunt that lease, but they would not be able to hunt public for twelve months in that same state if they killed a bird on public land in that same state the previous season.

The good thing about this, no one is losing privileges long term which is the concern of many. I am not opposed to out of state hunting personally, and all this idea would do is slow the killing rate of the hunters going from state to state without taking anyone's rights away permanently which to me is contrary to what America was intended to be. The out of state hunter just won't kill as many turkeys in any one state as they were previously, but yet they can still enjoy hunting all across the country each year just the same since we have so many states and plenty of public land.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Louisiana Longbeard

No way in hades. Who is going to keep up with all that. I can answer that no one.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Louisiana Longbeard on April 27, 2023, 04:45:10 PM
No way in hades. Who is going to keep up with all that. I can answer that no one.

Our computers are so advanced today, what would be hard about it? If a person checks a bird out on public is said state, their information is flagged on the computer and their license would print out the following spring showing them ineligible to hunt on public for one season in that certain state. The only way a person could get around that would be to not check their bird out when they killed it, but that is a whole another issue.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

joey46

Louisiana Longbeard

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on April 27, 2023, 04:50:21 PM

Our computers are so advanced today, what would be hard about it? If a person checks a bird out on public is said state, their information is flagged on the computer and their license would print out the following spring showing them ineligible to hunt on public for one season in that certain state. The only way a person could get around that would be to not check their bird out when they killed it, but that is a whole another issue.

No way this will ever happen for multiple reasons. The first being that all the states are not going to work together.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Louisiana Longbeard on April 27, 2023, 04:58:47 PM
Quote from: mountainhunter1 on April 27, 2023, 04:50:21 PM

No way this will ever happen for multiple reasons. The first being that all the states are not going to work together.

On that, you are probably spot on right. Heck, we cannot even agree who is a man or a woman anymore, so I would say you  are correct that the states would not be willing to get together. But the idea I offered is way better than some of the crap I have read the past couple of years.

I am not opposed personally to folks hunting out of state. Take Joey for example who is posting regularly on this subject, he lives in Florida and hunts Kentucky and I think he said Ohio. He said that he also plans to take a trip or two to kill a Rio or Merriam's at some point. What the heck is wrong with that as I may do the same at some point myself? It is America, the land of the free and our best hope is to do a better job preserving the habitat we have set aside for wildlife and predators if we want to hunt Turkeys a generation from now.

I don't really have any concern unless a fellow is traveling and killing 15-25 or more birds a year. Even then, I really don't even want to take away his rights as this is America. But, if we really care about the wild turkey, no one probably needs to shoot 20 turkeys a year at this point (we can probably thank you tube for that). Still, that is likely just a symptom and I say we need to focus more on the cause which is surely more so habitat and predators.

runngun

Like I read earlier in a post by Joey, folks could take just 1 bird in a given state. This day and time it's all about TAKE!!!! Seems like there's not a lot of GIVE!!! I know, I know you buy a license and spend your money and time. There's no easy answer(s).  But if things don't change this forum very well could be USED TO BE AN OLD GOBBLER.

Have a good one, and May God bless, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Tail Feathers

It's possible with computerized systems to do what the OP mentions, but it won't fly with hunters.  I live an hour from the state line.  Why wouldn't I want to go over there to hunt when they are open and my season isn't?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mountainhunter1

Quote from: runngun on April 27, 2023, 05:57:44 PM
Like I read earlier in a post by Joey, folks could take just 1 bird in a given state. This day and time it's all about TAKE!!!! Seems like there's not a lot of GIVE!!! I know, I know you buy a license and spend your money and time. There's no easy answer(s).  But if things don't change this forum very well could be USED TO BE AN OLD GOBBLER.

Have a good one, and May God bless, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I have heard so much on this subject and was just trying to think how we could find common ground. We are better if we stay together because a house divided cannot stand.

About four years ago, I began to voluntary not fill my last tag and have continued that trend. I have called quite a few up with a camera and no gun. Still pretty fun as the killing is in some ways anticlimactic. But I love to travel, and am not against out of state hunters in general personally, but have not traveled to hunt for a while now just trying to do my part to help the turkey along (But I will go out of state again at some point).

Also trying to get better at taking out predators and much more interested in controlled burns these days than I used to be. I have hope that we will see more and more hunters willing to make some small sacrifices to ensure a bright future for the turkeys of tomorrow.

TauntoHawk

Creative but you are asking for a federal nation wide system for turkey harvest tracking and really just asking for guys to not report kills.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cowboy

States operate INDEPENDENTLY.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Prospector

No disrespect intended but I'll bet my life that most guys are already not reporting kills. That is a WASTE of $ to set up and maintain when the dollas are better spent elsewhere. Think about it? Other than telling everybody which county the (reported) birds are being killed ( OSSer's have access to this too),What purpose does it serve? Harvest info? Right. Smoke and mirrors boys- SMOKE and MIRRORs
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

randywallace

you can't get uniformity across all states with much of anything......this included.  Never gonna happen.

2flyfish4

I would say limiting non residents to 1 over the counter turkey tag per year is sufficient. Then depending on the turkey population and harvest stats allow non residents to enter into a state drawing for additional tags.

I think this would be a fair and equitable solution. The states could further only allocate X amount of additional tags to non-residents/residents and even charge a substantial surcharge for that additional tag.

Personally I am completely happy with harvesting 1 bird per trip/state. But I understand that if I'm taking 5-7-9 days of vacation and driving 8-10-12+ hours one way to hunt it would be nice to harvest a 2nd bird if the opportunity presented its self.