OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How close to try and get to a tom on the limb

Started by lmbunch69, April 26, 2023, 10:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmbunch69

Got a tom and 3 or 4 hens roosted. Watched them fly up so I know which tree they are in. How close should I try to get without bumping them?

roberthyman14

Go in way early and get as close as cover allows.  No flashlights just nice n quiet.  If you can get inside 100 yards do it.  If only 150 then thats what you gotta do. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

runngun

Sometimes one more step is way to close!!! But if you can get 50 to 75 yards you will be in the cat bird seat!!! A few soft yelps then wait for him to fly down. Then a few more soft 3 note yelps, if he answers you, SHUT THE HECK UP!!!  If he answers you and then gets quiet, take your gun off safety!!!
Good luck and let us know when you put your foot on his head!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

silvestris

Runngun nailed it.   Nothing like getting close, real close.  But you need good feet to get there.  You will have the most exciting hunt ever, but you always have to carry a ton of ethics with you, lest you spoil the moment.  Beware the full moon.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

GobbleNut

My theory has always been to get as close as I can, but always have some barrier that prevents a direct line of sight to the turkeys.  If you can see the turkey sitting on the limb, there is a good chance he/they are going to pick you out at some point and will fly down away from you. 

Another theory I have is that if you are trying to get "shooting-close" to roosted turkeys, it is best not to make a peep until they fly down.  I personally believe that turkeys can get suspicious of turkey calling coming from the ground when all of the real turkeys are sitting in the trees. 

Then again,...just my theories....   ;D

Gooserbat

I want to be as close as I can be and still not see them on the limb.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Prospector

There is close, too close and way to close. No hard yardage figure but if cover is available around 100ish yards is usually sufficient. If you are too close my theory is he will be able to watch the ground for the hen. When he don't see you he might get concerned so to speak. Also remember he either drops straight down ( usually only if he sees a hen...) or will glide down. Gliding down will eat up distance fast! If you are too close and he is really fooled he may glide down right past you and is now either behind you or not in the most advantageous position for you (been there, done that). If you are round bout that 100 mark then he can glide down 40,50,60+ to you and he's still in front of you when his feet touch. Now you're in a good position to complete the transaction, so to speak. Just my experience....
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

sasquatch1

Not so close they fly down past you.

I'd say 100-150 is a good starting point. He's going to at least drift 50-50 yards usually on his way down.

Many terrain variables and such though that can and will change things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zelmo1

No wrong answers here. I personally like to get as close as the cover lets me. I try to get in the direction the bird will fly down if possible and be 75-100 yards away. I go in VERY early and get set up , if I know the birds exact location. I like to be set up early and take a nap in my spot till the bird wakes me up with a gobble. Most exciting hunt ever was putting the wife and myself 35 yards from the roosted bird and watching her reaction as he woke us up with a gobble. It was priceless. Poor guy, his feet hit the ground and he took a dirt nap 5 seconds later. Quickest hunt of my life. The turkey gods smiled on us for the situation and the cover we had to get that close. Close but safe I guess is my  :z-twocents:. Z

howl

I'll never forget the morning I had a couple fly over me 100 yards to their usual landing zone and stand there trying to gobble me to them. I had to roll over on my belly to shoot. Got lucky when one walked down the hill fifty yards. Didn't feel lucky there for a second after shooting that 12ga from the prone.

I do better listening in the morning, then going in later in the day to read the sign. Which way do they go when they leave the roost?

G-dub

checking in for the update...
Roosted is Roasted?

TauntoHawk

If you watched them fly up I'd want to be 40yds from where their feet left the ground

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 26, 2023, 11:27:53 PM
My theory has always been to get as close as I can, but always have some barrier that prevents a direct line of sight to the turkeys.  If you can see the turkey sitting on the limb, there is a good chance he/they are going to pick you out at some point and will fly down away from you. 

Another theory I have is that if you are trying to get "shooting-close" to roosted turkeys, it is best not to make a peep until they fly down.  I personally believe that turkeys can get suspicious of turkey calling coming from the ground when all of the real turkeys are sitting in the trees. 

Then again,...just my theories....   ;D
I'm with you 100% on all of this. It's fun to be close enough to see them in a tree of a morning, but if you can see them then they can most certainly see you, and I'm not one to love being pinned down in this game we play. Also agree that tree calling at a close distance seems unnatural from the ground. If I can see or hear them I will make a fly down sound with a wing, shirt sleeve, or hat right after they pitch and then I'll commence soft calling. But the birds in the tree dictate when I start. The one exception for me with regard to roost calling when I'm very close is in mountains where 10-15yds of terrain can be 20ft of elevation gain. In these instances, like where I hunt at home, I think with some distance they have a difficult time telling what's on the ground and what's on the limb. To the OP, if I can get within 75yds I'm happy with that. If he's got hens with him then the hens are likely going to dictate direction of travel. That can be a hard, hard game to play. In that instance, closer often does seem better. You set up too far back and just out of their bubble and the hens usually just drag them away. Set up in the bubble and the hens are more likely to investigate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Also remember the way you think they should fly down, most of the time they go in a different direction... I agree with others as close as the cover will allow ...But i will do some very little soft calling to let him know a hen is near...

Old Timer

I like to get 50-75 yards from them. Not to close. In my younger days I once  got way to close. The bird gobbled like a hundred times. My buddy was up the hill watching this deal go down. I was down near the creek. When he flew down he went right over my head, close I mean real close. I had to turn to shoot over my left shoulder when he hit the ground. I was so rattled I admit I blew the shot. Lesson learned. We laugh about it today. Good day.  :turkey2: