Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

One Saturday with Six Eminence, MO Callmakers WARNING-Picture heavy

Started by GSLAM95, June 29, 2011, 09:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSLAM95

Since I frequent all the turkey hunting sites and have met some great folks here as well I thought this might be interesting to some.

I had one very interesting visit Saturday to the Eminence, MO area with the opportunity to visit historic folk artist/Turkey call makers David Ferguson, Jake McCormac, Dan Searcy, John Spurgin, Jim Chilton and Jack Burrus.  Here is the short version of a 12+hr visit and how it evolved.

I saw a thread here started by Porter about a fence post caller from one Mr David Ferguson.  After exchanging pm's, emails and phone calls I asked David if he thought he could put the deer scene from my business card on a call.  A short time after sending him the pdf file I received an email with the artwork on one of his callers  *bowing*

The pictures simply do the call no justice and it runs as nice as it looks!

The phone conversations and email exchanges with David showed me just how dedicated this man is about preserving and carrying on the heritage and tradition of the Eminence community.  The next picture is David, Harley (his son and next generation call maker) and myself in his wood shop. 

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

GSLAM95

I have the 3 books written by Earl Mickel and I like getting as many signatures as possible of the call makers that I am fortunate enough to meet.  Dave had contacted Mr Francis "JAKE" McCormac who lived up the road and he arrived shortly after I did at the Ferguson's.

Jake is a very knowledgeable person and his area ancestry in Shannon county dates back to the early 1800's!  USA *up* USA

Jake told us a lot about the local area that even included some civil war history and he was in the Army during WWII and Korea.  Jake showed me some of his calls and I am proud to have acquired these two before he left.

Another item introduced in the conversation that I had never even heard of was a "bow-gig".  After a big grin from Jake and David they showed me a few and after finding out that Jake also hand forges these bow fishing points I had to learn more about them as well, especially since I am heavily into bowhunting.

That did it, now I had to have one!  Here is Jake notching a nocking point on the shaft of my new "bow-gig" arrow.

I enjoyed the morning and hope to visit with you again some day Jake.

GSLAM95

After Jake went home we went into town for a burger at the local diner, it was there that we ran into the son of Bud Fry who is a deceased call maker from the area.  I was starting to feel a turkey callmaker karma that follows David. :)

After lunch it was on to meet Dan and Letha Searcy who are two of the most genuine people you would ever want to meet.

Dan's talent goes without saying and to be able to pick up and handle the pieces of art that he creates was an honor that I will always treasure.  They allowed me to take pictures of his wifes collection that she understandably treasures so well.  As she will quickly tell you "Those are not for sale!". (So please enjoy the pics but don't ask)

Here is Dan holding my personal favorite.

A part of call making history that many do not know about is the call made by Dan's father R.E. Searcy back in 1912!!!!  This is the call that Dan won the first annual Eminence, MO turkey contest with in 1968.

After seeing some of R.E. Searcy's work it was obvious that Dan's talent was indeed something passed down from one generation to the next.

Here is Dan running his fathers call that will be 100 yrs old next year!

Ferguson & Searcy - Two fine Eminence folk artists in my opinion

GSLAM95

David also took us to meet with John Spurgin, Jim Chilton and Jack Burrus.  All of whom signed their page in my books and gave me memories to cherish.  These six call makers are all in the Eminence area.

BTW - Here is the guard dog Gobbler that stands duty from sun up til sun down at the Ferguson's!  :lol:

drenalinld

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Great day for you! Thanks for sharing the stories and pics!!

redarrow

Big Timber

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

vaturkey

Great stories & pics !! Thanks for sharing ! Bet you were like a kid in a candy store. Love the box call with dogwoods & cardinal. Our state bird & flower here in Va.

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Jay

I'm in awe. What an outing for you. Now those boys can make some mighty fine calls. There's a visit I'd like to make myself.

lmbhngr

That is an awesome post! I have had the privilege acquiring several of Mr. Searcy`s calls. He`s alot of fun to talk to. Someday I hope to meet him.Thanks  :theman:

TnTurk

I'll bet that was a Saturday you'll never forget. I would love to get up there some day and meet those guys and experience such a historic place in this great sport.  Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Preacher

Mighty fine!!!!!!!!!!    A lot of turkey hunting knowledge right there.
Romans 8:37

GSLAM95

Quote from: lmbhngr on June 29, 2011, 10:39:25 PM
That is an awesome post! I have had the privilege acquiring several of Mr. Searcy`s calls. He`s alot of fun to talk to. Someday I hope to meet him.Thanks  :theman:

To have several of Dan's calls is truly special, I hope to someday just be fortunate enough to own one of his calls.

savduck

Georgia Boy