turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sun Flowers ????

Started by kershawbuck, June 29, 2011, 09:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kershawbuck

I got in a new club this year and I saw some of the leaders in the club planting this past weekend . So I was told they where planting sun flowers for the turkeys ?? Now I have never heard that before ??? So Im asking does anyone else plant sun flowers ? And do they work?? I have turkey hunted a long time and never heard this before .

Reloader

Turks will smoke sunflowers after they dry up.

Most plant them for doves.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk.

honker22

My deer eat them up... even when you think they won't... overnight i had nothing but stalks left
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

northwoodshntr

Turkeys eat 'em- if nothing else gets there first.

GSLAM95

Sunflowers are good, milo is even better in my opinion from what we have seen.  As others have said though the sunflowers can provide a dandy dove shoot if you get them planted early enough.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

mnturkey

Turkeys, doves, phesants, and various other critters will eat the sunflowere, especially the Oil Sunflowers, The salted ones you eat do not have as much protein as the oil seeds.
I have even seen ducks feeding on them.
SEMPER FI

FANMAN

Quote from: northwoodshntr on June 30, 2011, 02:53:16 AM
Turkeys eat 'em- if nothing else gets there first.
Exactly....The only negative with sunflowers is everything will eat em...they simply don't last long enough .

Stoner

I have planted Sunflowers for deer and turkey. They are cheap to plant and easy to grow. They put out a ton of seed. The deer will hit them not long after they come out of the ground.

OldHen

I loved all your pics for a different reason then they being for turkey... i love sunflowers....we had one that toppled over 6-7 feet tall!

Stoner

Quote from: OldHen on June 30, 2011, 07:00:52 PM
I loved all your pics for a different reason then they being for turkey... i love sunflowers....we had one that toppled over 6-7 feet tall!

They are fun to plant and good to look at. Deer, turkey, and dove all love the sunflowers too.

savduck

The like them the best when they come in the bag labeled ' "Wild Bird Seed" mix
Georgia Boy

Stoner

Quote from: savduck on July 01, 2011, 12:06:54 AM
The like them the best when they come in the bag labeled ' "Wild Bird Seed" mix

That is what I plant, it is birdseed from Tractor Supply. But you do have to be careful some companies cook their birdseed and it sterilizes the seed and it will not grow. So if you are buying sunflower birdseed to plant, check first whether on not it has been cooked prior to market. The sunflowers in the pictures came from Tractor Supply and was sold as bird seed.