OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

All of you helped make this hunt a success!

Started by krm944, April 22, 2023, 03:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

snoman4

Heck yeah congrats to your son and yourself for getting it done.  That is an awesome first bird.

aclawrence

Congrats on an awesome hunt. What's the details on that shotgun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moore

[

runngun

That is just FANtastic!!! Congratulations to you, and please let him know that we all said a big Congratulations to him as well!!! Please continue to hang around here with us, there is plenty of things to learn. The folks are very knowledgeable and willing to share!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

RiverBuck

krm944

Quote from: aclawrence on April 22, 2023, 06:46:53 PM
Congrats on an awesome hunt. What's the details on that shotgun?

Thank you!

Here in VA we hunt deer with shotguns and Buckshot. Last June I got him a Mossberg youth 500 20 gauge. He shot it once and was afraid of the recoil.

A random trip to Walmart and we saw a Hatfield SAS 28 gauge on the shelf for $268. We looked it over at the store and it's 28" barrel was the biggest obstacle. I reached out to a gunsmith in MA and he confirmed he could cut and thread the barrel for chokes. I had him cut it to 20" and we shortened the length of pull of the wooden stock.

Last fall he proved the lethality of a 28 gauge with TSS BB on Whitetails. That smile was about the same as today's Turkey!!! 

It will run Federal, Fiocchi and my reloads with a Cheddite hull through it like a sewing machine. It will not shoot Rio Ammunition. The choke threading is True Size and an xFull or xxFull Turkey chokes are not available. For a youth it has a perfect 30-40 yard pattern with just a full choke.

It's definitely a one of a kind shotgun he will cherish forever.

krm944

Quote from: runngun on April 22, 2023, 07:10:19 PM
That is just FANtastic!!! Congratulations to you, and please let him know that we all said a big Congratulations to him as well!!! Please continue to hang around here with us, there is plenty of things to learn. The folks are very knowledgeable and willing to share!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Thank you!

You have made Turkey hunters out of us. We have flirted with Turkeys so many times all season and it was phenomenal for him to finish it.

He is addicted to hearing them gobble - and like a true hunter points direction he hears the gobble from. He has experienced first hand striking a call and receiving a gobbler respond!

We ain't goin' no where!!!

GobbleNut

Yep, I believe you are now hooked!  One hunt like that is usually all it takes!
Great story and pictures!  Congratulations to the little guy...and dad.   :icon_thumright:

ferocious calls

High plains drifter

Tom007

Love to see the youngsters smile. Can't replace that memory. Congrats....
"Solo hunter"

tad1

Great job guys!  Thanks for sharing your hunt!
   JT

zelmo1

These are my favorite stories bro. A huge congrats to you both, you will never forget this day.  :turkey2: Z

krm944

One can argue a Hunter is either born or is made- and I am truly blessed to have a little hunter!!

Thank you all for the well wishes. This morning at 2:30 am my bedroom light flips on and Lil Hunter is ready to go! The alarm isn't due for another 90 minutes but his internal clock told him not to be late!!

We slipped into a new spot this morning. As the woods came alive, he slowly drifted off to sleep. The tree that was once "our" backrest became "my" backrest as my shoulder was a bit warmer and softer than that old southern pine.

About 3 hours on stand and it was cold pizza and chocolate milk time back at the vehicle. A quick ride with the heater blasting and we are trying our luck at another spot.

It's ANOTHER successful day in the Turkey woods.