Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

All of you helped make this hunt a success!

Started by krm944, April 22, 2023, 03:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krm944

I usually start with a disclaimer that I'm not a Turkey hunter or a Turkey caller but my 9 year old son and I are avid hunters. This year I decided to be a bit more serious and learn to hunt gobblers. I spent countless hours reading old posts. I asked questions in the New Hunter section and I have been 100% successful every day out- we have either seen a bird or heard gobbles and had interactions to my (pitiful) calling. A common theme was getting interactions, but not finishing a bird. I always felt like I was just outside his bubble- but I was completely happy with that as it wasn't an aggressive interaction to make him move on.

This morning we slipped into a spot almost at the center of the property with a couple hundred yards of tough ground at 5 am. As the woods woke up no gobbles. About 7:30 we moved on a few hundred yards and I was made a soft yelp that found a gobbler on the roost! We called back and forth a bit but he went quiet. We relocated to a blind I set up for youth day. It's comfortable and enjoyable even if we don't encounter game.

On the walk in I made a soft Yelp at the edge of the woods with a diaphragm call and had a hen immediately respond! I got my little guy kneeling behind a fallen log and for the next 15 minutes worked her in. I communicated it to him it sounded like a hen, but to point/track the bird in case a gobbler was following. She came in on a string and crossed in front of us as we both searched for a Tom behind her. She was alone and worked off as I continued calling back and forth with her. He was stoked!!! As both of us calmed a bit from the excitement, I asked him how he thought I sounded calling compared to her- his critique was that I wasn't as raspy, not as fast in cadence.

We make it to the blind and played a couple games of tic tac toe on the phone and he wanted to try calling with my slate call. At first it sounded like two cats in the back alley but alas, he got the hang of it. I posted on the forum searching for suggestions for an easy call he could place in his Turkey vest. I typed that message at 9:30. We had to be back at the car by 10:30 to make it to his soccer game.

At some point I made a soft Yelp out the back of the blind with a diaphragm call I was practicing with and I swore I heard a gobble. I looked at my son and his eyes were as big as saucers! I yelped again and I was CERTAIN I heard a gobble. I gave him some excitement, more volume and he gobbled again! We were certain he was on the move, so my calls were softer and less frequent. I swear the softer I got, the faster and more excited the gobbles.

I got my little guy situated and his gun on a tripod  in the blind. I was softly calling and could see the gobbler coming. My son couldn't see him yet. He would almost strut, then come straight for us. He passed in front of the blind at about 15 yards and my little guy didn't get a shot as he only stopped behind a tree. He couldn't quite trail/shoot the walking bird and the gobbler walked off. He may have seen some movement in the blind and I expected he was gone forever. I made some excited yelps and he was soon gobbling his head off and headed back for us. He crossed in front of us further away this time and my attempt to stop him worked.

My 9 year old with his 28 gauge made a beautiful shot on the bird broadside at 30 yards! I was stoked! He was the happiest boy in the woods this morning. Even with pictures, we made it to the car at 10:28!

His first gobbler was 19 lbs, 15.6 ounces, with 1 inch spurs and a 10 inch beard.

I guess we're Turkey hunters now. I guess I'm a novice Turkey caller. We have this forum to thank for it.

From my little guy and myself, Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

Congratulations, thats a 20lbr where I come from...lol

jshark14

Congrats! That's a good bird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guesswho

Sweet, well done and congrats to the young hunter. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

eddie234

Congratulations

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ol bob

Congratulations  A day he will never forget.

Dr Juice

Bridger

Zobo

Congrats, you did it, yes you are a turkey hunter!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Turkeybutt

worth612000

Congratulations. There's nothing better than taking a youngster hunting. Their smile says it all.

Sir-diealot

That's so great to hear, congratulations to both of you. great smile and memories the two of you will always share.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

Awesome hunting and making lasting memories .. priceless in my opinion .... congratulations to you both....

JeffC

Awesome job dad with the story and pictures, Congratulations to your young hunter!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

randy6471

Congrats to both of you!! That's awesome it worked out and something both of you will always remember!!