turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Permethrin

Started by 2flyfish4, April 21, 2023, 01:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TScottW99

I use it, just bought a new bottle. Let it dry and it won't harm you. Our hunting lease is the Mecca for chiggers and ticks, all my hunting clothes gets sprayed.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

bbcoach

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 22, 2023, 10:57:03 AM
I'm more afraid of Lyme disease, DTV, alpha-gal syndrome and other tick-borne diseases than I am of permethrin.
This!!!!  We can WHAT IF this until we're Blue In The Face but this stuff WORKS!  Everything we eat, drink and use, COULD cause this or that but we have to weigh the benefits verse the risk.  I personally believe once this is applied to your clothes and it drys, the Benefits far surpasses the Risk of contacting this or that.  I'll continue to use it as long as I can buy it.  NO TICKS or CHIGGERS for me.

BBR12

It's obvious you shouldn't worry about your health from chemicals based on these responses. However, I too am leery of it. I spray my snake chaps heavy on the outside and my boots also below them. I occasionally spray a light coat on my clothes and I never have ticks or chiggers. I'm not soaking my clothes in the stuff unless I go somewhere and what I already do isn't enough.

To say you would rather have cancer than Lyme disease is just crazy. I don't want it either so I use permethrin but with caution cause I definitely don't want cancer.

My friends dad never had an issue with tobacco until he now has stage 4 cancer and they cut his face off this week.

I know you gonna throw a fit about the previous statement not being relevant but tobacco was prescribed by doctors back in the day.

It's natural you say, well so is the Uranium 235 that makes nuclear power.

Paulmyr

Worked for a contractor that was getting seriously ill. He didn't look so good and I asked him what was wrong. He explained to me the doc said he had some sort of strange disease and didn't gave him more than a year to live.

About a year later our company got another job from this contactor and I was surprised to see how well he was doing. I asked him what gives? His reply was when I heard the news from the doc last year I started smoking again after having quit for some time. He figure why not since was dying anyways

The last trip to the doc had his disease in remission. The doc asked him what he was  doing different. The guy replied nothing but started smoking again. Doc said you keep smoking!!

Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Zobo

Quote from: bbcoach on April 22, 2023, 01:33:44 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on April 22, 2023, 10:57:03 AM
I'm more afraid of Lyme disease, DTV, alpha-gal syndrome and other tick-borne diseases than I am of permethrin.
This!!!!  We can WHAT IF this until we're Blue In The Face but this stuff WORKS!  Everything we eat, drink and use, COULD cause this or that but we have to weigh the benefits verse the risk.  I personally believe once this is applied to your clothes and it drys, the Benefits far surpasses the Risk of contacting this or that.  I'll continue to use it as long as I can buy it.  NO TICKS or CHIGGERS for me.

Yes absolutely, unfortunately I have no choice. I hunt in boggy swamp land and you WILL be eaten alive very quickly without protection. Permethrin and 40% deet at a minimum after rain. Your thinking 25% deet,? you will be laughed at and completely attacked!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

762hunter

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 21, 2023, 11:07:38 PM
Permethrin is a synthetic version of a natural extract from the Chrysanthemum flower.
I did not know that.
Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

762hunter

Quote from: Flatsnbay on April 22, 2023, 09:00:14 AM
I try to only spray it on the outside of my clothing and avoid any places that contact skin, just in case!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
Oh I hang everything up and spray it inside and out. 
Can't stand those things and the bites last weeks.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

appalachianassassin

A buddy and I went to Ohio last august to scout for deer, he had on permethrin and i didn't. He had 0 ticks on him and I had 6000 seed ticks estimated by my doctor. Never again will I go into the woods during warm weather without permethrin.

tracker#1

I buy "Martins 10%" concentrate at Tractor Supply or Amazon. I do the 5-gallon pail soak following the directions. Ring clothes out with rubber gloves and let them air dry, out of the sun, in the garage. What's left in the pail goes into a spray bottle for a touch-up. I've been doing it for years. Much cheaper than Swayers, same results...

Gooserbat

I've had Lyme's d disease.  I'll spray, in fact I might drink it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Greg Massey

Regardless of the price of a squirt bottle or Spray bottle that's already mixed, i have no problem paying for it, if i'm hunting with a 10 dollar TSS Shell... I see no reason to make my own for now....

WV Flopper

I use it,  but I am scared of it's long term effects.

As others, I haven't had a tick while wearing treated clothes.

With all the tick diseases I am thinking the spray may be the lesser of the evils, for now.

worth612000

Y'all need to stay protected. I live in Ga and have removed 6-8 ticks over the years that lightly attached due to I slip up and got to woods without spray. The last 2 really made me sick and was treated with antibiotics. The 1st of the 2 left a weird discolored raised area on my back and after 8 years shows no sign of blending in.

Kylongspur88

I wear rubber gloves when I spray the outside of my clothes and let them dry for a few days. One spray lasts the entire spring season. Diseases like Lyme and alpha gal scare me way more