OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fantastic morning

Started by quackaddict, April 20, 2023, 04:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quackaddict

What morning isn't when you're out turkey hunting though??

Walked into a piece of public I've been wanting to try for awhile this morning, not expecting much of anything. Had a bird answer my first call of the morning from about as far as I could hear and off of the public. I figured I didn't have anything else to do but go see how bad he wanted to dance, so I went. He answered me half-heartedly two more times before I got to the back of the property. Hadn't heard from him in maybe 20 minutes and he fired off on his own, on the public. There was no good way to setup on him where he was, so I moved a bit and sat down to him. Hit the call, no response. Couple minutes later, he fired off again. I switched the the mouth call and cut hard at him and he started losing his mind. Double/triple gobbles for the next few minutes all on his own. He started working around the thick jungle between us from my 1 o'clock towards my 12 o'clock. Went quiet and the next gobble he was probably 75-ish yards at my 10:30. I spun on the tree, he gobbled again and I cut him off, which made him cut me off. I hear drumming, then see a fan and a white head. He's about 40 yards and working back to my right. He gobbles again when he's behind a big pine, then there's another gobble back to my original 12 o'clock. Turns out, this bird slipped in and got fired up once the first gobbler got fired up. Fine by me, a gobbler at 30 yards is a gobbler at 30 yards. He is in some thick stuff I don't want to shoot through, starts walking to my right again taking a step or two, popping strut, taking a few more steps, popping strut. Walks behind another big pine, I move my gun, he gobbles again and steps from behind the tree. I yelp, he stops, game over.

19lbs, 1 3/16" and 1 1/8" spurs, and 10" beard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

g8rvet

Nice bird.  Hard to explain that rush you had to those that do not hunt these crazy birds! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

JeffC

Awesome job, congrats, dont know if it will work till it does!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

quackaddict

Quote from: g8rvet on April 20, 2023, 05:12:40 PM
Nice bird.  Hard to explain that rush you had to those that do not hunt these crazy birds!
That's a true story!

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

quackaddict

Quote from: JeffC on April 20, 2023, 05:43:49 PM
Awesome job, congrats, dont know if it will work till it does!

No doubt. I've seen it said somewhere else that you should always, "just go".

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on April 20, 2023, 04:50:16 PM
Congratulations!

Thanks Mike!

Turkeybutt

Mick2394

Congrats!

Semper Fi

3bailey3

grayfox

Congrats on a nice gobbler!

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

harleytom

Congrats

Bagg-it Tag-it

Awesome story and congratulations!

Greg Massey

Congrats on nice gobbler ... I agree it's fun to play the game ....

worth612000

Congrats on a fine hunt.