OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do you inspect your choke tubes?

Started by worth612000, April 20, 2023, 12:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

worth612000

This happen a few years back. And was the only incident I have had. You may have to zoom in on photo to see damage to choke tube. I shot one 12ga 3" hevi-13 #6 and one 3" field load of #6 lead pattern my gun before inspecting choke tube. Tube screw out like nothing was wrong and I saw the split. I have always been a little concerned with shooting harder than lead through such constrictions that I check my tubes often. We all know how much replacement barrels cost now days. I wonder if another shot or 2 would have damaged my barrel at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Yes, inspect them on a regular basis and use choke tube lube ....

Zobo

I don't think I've taken my choke tube out in over 15 years, maybe the time has come? It's never loosened.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Greg Massey

Quote from: Zobo on April 20, 2023, 09:50:19 AM
I don't think I've taken my choke tube out in over 15 years, maybe the time has come? It's never loosened.
5 dollar tube of choke lube from Walmart is a good investment ... IMO.... Watch some of those guys on Youtube trying to remove a tube after being in a gun for several years...

Zobo

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 20, 2023, 09:53:45 AM
5 dollar tube of choke lube from Walmart is a good investment ... IMO.... Watch some of those guys on Youtube trying to remove a tube after being in a gun for several years...

Do I really need to lube it? I clean the barrel pretty regularly. What's the problem with just leaving it in untouched, is it bad for the barrel? I honestly don't know much about it.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Zobo on April 20, 2023, 10:03:12 AM

Do I really need to lube it? I clean the barrel pretty regularly. What's the problem with just leaving it in untouched, is it bad for the barrel? I honestly don't know much about it.
Over time, it will build powder residue around the threads of the tube, and the moisture content over time will cause it to seize, my advise if it will remove BUY you some choke tube lube and lube all your chokes .....

Zobo

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 20, 2023, 10:06:02 AM
Quote from: Zobo on April 20, 2023, 10:03:12 AM

Over time, it will build powder residue around the threads of the tube, and the moisture content over time will cause it to seize, my advise if it will remove BUY you some choke tube lube and lube all your chokes .....

At this point it may do more harm than good, but I'll try without over torquing it. Thanks

strum

I didnt even know about choke tube lube. Ive always used a dab of that grey anti seize. I guess its the same idea.

Notsoyoungturk

I consider it taking out the choke tube as part of cleaning my gun.  I will unscrew the choke tube, wipe off the threads, oil them and re-tighten it.  Guess I'm a little OCD about my guns. 
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Marc

Yes I check my tubes...

I have found that factory and after-market alike many choke tubes are not made correctly.  Being a wing-shooter I want the constriction of the chokes to be correct for what I am shooting, and many are NOT made correctly.

I check the factory chokes before purchasing, and after-market chokes before putting in the gun for constriction.

I am only shooting a full choke for turkey, and with small shot sizes I am very unlikely to have any damage, cracking, or bulging to the chokes done only firing one shell at the most.

Each hunt, I check the choke for tightness as I take the gun out to hunt (it has become a habit)...  End of the season, the choke is removed and cleaned of all wad residue, and my dove or clay choke is put back in the gun.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

captpete

Quote from: Notsoyoungturk on April 20, 2023, 10:16:23 AM
I consider it taking out the choke tube as part of cleaning my gun.  I will unscrew the choke tube, wipe off the threads, oil them and re-tighten it.  Guess I'm a little OCD about my guns. 

I do the same thing except I use choke tube lube or anti-seize. That way I know there is no gunk, debris, etc. in the threads of the tube/barrel that is going to cause troubles down the road.

kloppy

I check them too after my hunting partner's choke (very reputable brand) blew up on a shot.

Night before the opener this year my buddy (new to hunting) was screwing in his new choke. Luckily I watched him and saw that he had the wrong thread pattern (invector instead of invector plus). Could have been bad.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: captpete on April 20, 2023, 10:28:12 AM
Quote from: Notsoyoungturk on April 20, 2023, 10:16:23 AM

I do the same thing except I use choke tube lube or anti-seize. That way I know there is no gunk, debris, etc. in the threads of the tube/barrel that is going to cause troubles down the road.

X-2. I usually brush the threads well and put a small dab of breach plug grease on em
Rotating in and out a few times.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

runngun

I use never seize, a little dab will do. Careful or it will get everywhere!! I buy a plastic bottle of it but I put it in a dental syringe, for shooting sporting clays.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Mossberg90MN

So I clean my gun fully before season and inspect tube and use anti seize on it (grey color). Mid season all do a clean a quick clean, just a visual inspection, and after season it gets fully cleaned again for the lock up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk