turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

BIG thanks to one of our finest callmakers

Started by ChesterCopperpot, April 19, 2023, 05:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Last week a fellow I'd consider one of my best friends, and the only man I turkey hunt with, was shot by another hunter. He was shot at somewhere around 35yds with 1.75oz of LongBeard #5s. When he realized what was happening he lifted his shoulder to protect his head and rolled onto his side. Most of the load caught him in that shoulder and on that side. By grace alone he's somehow okay. During the event his box call took about six pellets. Now here's where the callmaker comes in. Through the years I've become good friends with Anthony Ellis. So I go to the mailbox the other afternoon and see I've got a package from him. When I open it there's this heart pine and osage box call he's made with a note that it's for my buddy. There ain't many folks would go out of their way to do something like that and I know it'll mean the world to him. All that to say, there's some awfully fine folks involved in this sport we all love and Anthony is one of our finest. Safe hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

That's what it's all about, brotherhood. Kudos Anthony, best wishes to your friend Dave!!
"Solo hunter"

3bailey3

Man I hate to hear that about your buddy David, So glad he is ok! That's is a Awesome gesture by Anthony.

JeffC

That is a incredible fine thing you did Mr. Ellis, hope your friend is recovering and able to get back out this season Chester, thanks for sharing.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Zobo

So glad to hear your friend is doing ok after such a horrible experience, and wonderful of Anthony to once again help out someone who's hurting and recovering.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

boatpaddle

Glad to hear your buddy is doing ok... I hope, he heals quickly...

Is Dave getting the guy, who shot him mounted??

Very nice gesture of kindness from a fine gentleman & callmaker...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

guesswho

Tip of the hat.  Glad your friend is on the mend. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

Glad your friend is doing well... Anthony is an outstanding person and a fine call builder who cares about others ...

Spitten and drummen

Anthony is a very good man. Some of you may have read about what Anthony did for a fellow member and friend of mine. Not going into anymore details other than I called Anthony , wanted to get him to make my friend a trumpet and I would pay for it. A week later a trumpet showed up in my mailbox. I called to pay Anthony and he refused saying he was happy to gift it. Now my friend , Anthony and myself talk regularly. I have drove 10 hours to visit him at his shop. Anthony Ellis is a man I am proud to call a friend.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Mabren2

Best wishes for your friend's recovery.  I have no doubts this wasn't a gesture for publicity, but kudos to Anthony for leading by example. Great story, and a nice reminder of the good that exists in this world.

Yoder409

Great to hear your buddy is doing well.

SOLID move by Mr. Ellis !!!!!!! 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

TScottW99

I saw your friend's post on FB, glad he survived. Mr. Ellis sounds like a stand up gentleman.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

runngun

Man, this is awesome. I'm glad to read this in the time we currently live in.  We still have great people, especially around here, in our world. This story absolutely gives me chill bumps from head to toe!!! Please let your friend know that we're thinking about him and praying for him as well. 

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Meleagris gallopavo

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.