OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Smaller pot call for kids

Started by aclawrence, April 19, 2023, 08:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

My son is finally taking up some interest in turkey hunting (he loves deer hunting) and would like have his on calls. He likes to mess around with mouth calls but he sounds like a bird choking on a frog lol. He plays my pots but I think it's hard for him to hold correctly because of the size. He's 9. I have a nice smaller copper pot from Mike Yingling. Does anyone make a smaller pot with a slate or ceramic surface?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BennieGobbler

Mad hatter calls.  Dean Redbeard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Print by Madison, on Flickr

rakkin6

I know Mike Yingling makes smaller pot calls also along with standard size, I have both and love them. I  would reach out to him. Have heard good things about the mad Hatter calls also, but don't own one for first hand knowledge.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Zobo

I have a great glass/osage pot from Chris Brumfiel that's the same size as your Yingling. I highly recommend it. He probably could make you one in slate or ceramic the same size idk. This glass call is as good as any pot I've ever run.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

ScottTaulbee

Pm'd you

outdoors

Go to John Sinclair website
He has quite a few 3* and 3 1/4*
Listed
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

aclawrence

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have to check out Red Beards calls and that Brumfield Osage/glass sounds sweet. I love that combo.  Scott has offered to send me one of his own calls he makes for my son to use.  I tell my wife all the time about how Turkey hunters are a special group of guys. I'm humbled by the generosity in our community. I'm going to check out those other makers to. I'm having a heck of a tough season so far but I do have one private land place where I can take my son that is loaded with turkeys and he'll probably be able to get a gobble on his own. It will be all over then. He'll be hooked for sure!

aclawrence

Quote from: outdoors on April 19, 2023, 12:36:11 PM
Listed
I forgot about him. He post some beautiful stuff on his Facebook page.

spurs2bgobblin

Quote from: aclawrence on April 19, 2023, 12:37:43 PM
Quote from: outdoors on April 19, 2023, 12:36:11 PM
Listed
I forgot about him. He post some beautiful stuff on his Facebook page.

Yeah man, his 3 and quarter slates are sweet!

Great guy to boot!

"In the South it's an understanding. To a turkey hunter, it's a life not subject to change. They know it's crazy. But to them, to us, it's worth it."

outdoors

I just received a 3.25" Crotch Figure Bastogne Walnut Gray Slate over Copper is , too my ears one of the best slate calls I own , all turkey
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

spurs2bgobblin

Quote from: outdoors on April 19, 2023, 01:13:57 PM
I just received a 3.25" Crotch Figure Bastogne Walnut Gray Slate over Copper is , too my ears one of the best slate calls I own , all turkey
You said it. His slate over copper is sooooo good. Got a purple slate over copper not long ago in a tulipwood pot. The "purple tulip" is

"In the South it's an understanding. To a turkey hunter, it's a life not subject to change. They know it's crazy. But to them, to us, it's worth it."

aclawrence

Quote from: spurs2bgobblin on April 19, 2023, 01:21:58 PM
Quote from: outdoors on April 19, 2023, 01:13:57 PM
You said it. His slate over copper is sooooo good. Got a purple slate over copper not long ago in a tulipwood pot. The "purple tulip" is

You know when a call has a name like the purple tulip it's going to be deadly!

chbarnha

One answer I can come up with... I carry one on every hunt. Call redveard and get him to make your son a pocket player. I have 4 of them in different woods, it is a call that never leaves my vest. They are phenomenal! Not loud, but perfect for close In work for sure. Another "small" call that is always in my vest. An enticer double trouble. It Is aluminum and the wood on the back plays as well. For 20$ you can't go wrong. Probably my favorite call out of the 100 or so pots I own

Shoot em in the pecker.... you know the beak

PALongspur

If you can find something based off of DD's old Jake Taker mold, it might be worth a look. Not sure if the Ritzman's are still making them or not (Mountainside Game Calls).

Greg Massey

Don't overlook getting him a nice trumpet, never too young to learn how to use one of these either....  I wished i had got one years/years ago....