OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

YouTuber hunting closed WMA

Started by Spitten and drummen, April 17, 2023, 07:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

Hey guys. Saw this on another forum. A couple of YouTubers that go by running wild outdoors supposedly went on a WMA called raccoon creek in North Alabama and filmed a hunt. Problem was this WMA was closed to turkey hunting. They uploaded the video to YouTube. A few guys that are very familiar with that WMA knew right off the exact spot that the bird was shot. Clicked on video link and it was turned to private so I could not see it. It was too late for them because some them Alabama fellas had already forwarded it to a couple of game wardens. Anybody know anything about it?
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

3bailey3

Yeah I saw that Jody, even if they didn't know, which is hard to believe, ignorance of the law is no excuse! Those Bama boys were all over that!

TauntoHawk

Sounds like running from the law outdoors

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: 3bailey3 on April 17, 2023, 08:31:48 PM
Yeah I saw that Jody, even if they didn't know, which is hard to believe, ignorance of the law is no excuse! Those Bama boys were all over that!

Their first sign should have been empty parking lots and no vehicles at the gates lol. They about to get hammered.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Goblen

QuoteThey about to get hammered.
I bet they just go over to the circuit clerks office, plea, pay a fine for hunting closed land. Unless there is more to the stoy.

Dazzler

"We're a group of public hunters who have the drive to do whatever it takes to succeed."

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Dazzler on April 18, 2023, 08:00:59 AM
"We're a group of public hunters who have the drive to do whatever it takes to succeed."
[/quot

Excellent!!
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

aclawrence

The empty parking lot should have been a giveaway. I accidentally did something similar one time. I went with two friends to a WMA that opens later in the year for deer hunting. It always opens later than all the other surrounding WMA's. We got there and no one else was at the gate. After an hour or so one of them got to looking at the regulations and realized we were a day early. We booked it back to the truck and got out of there pronto lol. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shatcher

Some of our fellow turkey hunters are derelicts.  They have to be held accountable.

Greg Massey

The old saying no ignorance for the law .... they are in trouble .... :fud:

turkey stew

What is the fine for hunting in a closed WMA and the fine for an illegal gobbler? I would assume it would be 2 seperate fines.

ScottTaulbee

I could see it being an honest mistake. Sunday morning I went to a National forest spot about an hour from the house I've hunted the last several years. I've seen at most 2 other guys in there, locals, and we each have our own area we like to hunt. Pull up at 5:30 Am and this place was loaded, couldn't even pull in to turn around. So I'm headed to my fall back place and I notice another piece of National forest that no one is parked at, I figured it was because it was calling for 40 mph and wind and the only way to hunt the place is park on a small pull off that is basically in a ditch beside someone's yard and go straight up a 1200+ ft "mountain" side to get to where you can hunt. I get to the top and notice a barbed wire fence. I pull up my HuntWise app to see if those are remnants of an old property line or if that's an actual property line to private land. When I do that, the map shows red lines all through the area. I pull up the info on it, and it shows it as a "pioneer weapons area" meaning only archery, crossbow, or muzzleloader. And there I was with my 835. So I had to come right back down that side and go elsewhere. Had I not hit that fence at the top, I'd have never thought to look considering the sign showed National forest and directly across the road was more National forest that was open to "modern" weapons and neither were marked any differently on the signage.

Dazzler

Raccoon creek does not allow turkey hunting at any time. Map looks like they probably access from the river. No way it was a mistake given all the electronics and pins being dropped these days. Either intentional or they just heard a bird from the boat, saw it was a WMA and didn't read the rest.  Either way I'm curious as to the end result. It's gotta be hefty to discourage future attempts by others.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on April 20, 2023, 09:43:08 AM
I could see it being an honest mistake. Sunday morning I went to a National forest spot about an hour from the house I've hunted the last several years. I've seen at most 2 other guys in there, locals, and we each have our own area we like to hunt. Pull up at 5:30 Am and this place was loaded, couldn't even pull in to turn around. So I'm headed to my fall back place and I notice another piece of National forest that no one is parked at, I figured it was because it was calling for 40 mph and wind and the only way to hunt the place is park on a small pull off that is basically in a ditch beside someone's yard and go straight up a 1200+ ft "mountain" side to get to where you can hunt. I get to the top and notice a barbed wire fence. I pull up my HuntWise app to see if those are remnants of an old property line or if that's an actual property line to private land. When I do that, the map shows red lines all through the area. I pull up the info on it, and it shows it as a "pioneer weapons area" meaning only archery, crossbow, or muzzleloader. And there I was with my 835. So I had to come right back down that side and go elsewhere. Had I not hit that fence at the top, I'd have never thought to look considering the sign showed National forest and directly across the road was more National forest that was open to "modern" weapons and neither were marked any differently on the signage.

Mistake or not. As Greg stated earlier , ignorance is no excuse for the law. Fine then period.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 20, 2023, 04:26:16 PM
Quote from: ScottTaulbee on April 20, 2023, 09:43:08 AM

Mistake or not. As Greg stated earlier , ignorance is no excuse for the law. Fine then period.
I'm not saying that it shouldn't be punished. They should be made an example of. What I'm saying is, I can see how it could happen.