turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The socials!

Started by deathfoot, April 13, 2023, 10:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

There is currently a larger generational gap than we have ever seen, due to the incredible and rapid development of technology.

You now have several generations of kids who are now adults, that grew up getting trophies for last place, with more and more instant gratification from technology as well.  Creating a tremendous sense of (false) entitlement.

Not all, but the majority of college students use "apps" as the primary means of dating (as opposed to personal interaction). 

If you are technology minded (which I am not), you can use an app to find every huntable piece of land, with the topography of said land, all while sitting at home.

I grew up wing-shooting, with watefowl being mine, and my friends/family passion.  I discovered turkey hunting later in life, and was self-taught...  While I enjoy duck hunting alone, I also enjoy hunting with friends and family...  Turkey hunting not so much.  I enjoy taking a friend, and especially my kids hunting, but when that happens, usually I leave my gun at home.

I thoroughly enjoy the peace and solitude of turkey hunting...  I love the woods in the spring, and relish the anticipation of hearing that gobble of a late morning bird!  But this for me is a solo enjoyment.

But...  It is nice to have someone to share your story with...  I enjoy seeing and reading the posts of other like-minded (or at least similar-minded) hunters on the forums...  I enjoy reading the tactics of others, and sharing (some) of my own.  I can feel the anticipation and excitement of others who share their success here, and enjoy sharing myself...

But, Facebook and Youtube are often dis-heartening.  Especially when we see the results of that generation gap mentioned above.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

zelmo1

Social media is just that, not a source of info, lol. I used to let stupid things bother me, but there is too much stupid to deal with. It's entertainment pure and simple. I choose to educate younger less experienced hunters rather than let them get to me. My daughter isn't eligible for the youth hunt anymore and isnt interested at getting up at 0300. I usually have one new youth hunter and- a few new adults every year. You cant stop them from hunting, but you can show them " your way", which is hopefully the right way. I am a crabby old man now, but I try to never take it out on others. I am in agreement with most of the gripes, but I'm not going to let it get me down. One of the most useless humans I ever knew told me this, " Al, you not liking me and me not caring is like you drinking acid to punish me". Think about that for a minute. When I do, I get a chuckle and smile. Good luck and God Bless. Z

quavers59

We have entered the Era of the Turkey Shooter... You can Kill a Gobbler with no Calling and no Woodsmanship skills... TSS, $100+ Gobbler Decoys, Lazy Reapers with 100 percent success,
   Took me 5 Springs to Kill my 1st Turkey. No Mentor and self taught. Now New " Shooters" can buy TSS, the best Scopes, the best Shotguns, and sit on a Food Plot Field Edge with the best 2-Man Blind  Available  with 100 percent success.
   A Dwindling Resource/ yet more new " Shooters" every Spring. Like Bees to Honey now- the Lure of Public Lands to emulate their Utube Heroes and post their Bird right away.
  Some States with Loopholes that enable some to kill 6,7,8+ Gobblers in a single State.
      A Dwindling  Resource and a famous quote-- I Have Seen The Enemy- And It Is Us.

GobbleNut

Just read through all of this.  I agree with almost all of the general sentiments expressed,...ALMOST all of them.
At the risk of offending a few folks that feel otherwise, I will state one opinion about one point made,...and that is very young kids hunting.  Not talking about going along with dad for the ride,...talking about actually hunting.

I have two boys (men now in "middle age").  Both were big for their age and "precocious", if you will, in that they were physically bigger and stronger all around than most of their counterparts of the same age.  They both came along with me on hunts starting at about five, as I recall, and I was anxious for them to be able to actually start "hunting".

Nonetheless, I made it clear to them that the only way I would allow them to actually carry a gun and hunt was if they could pass the requisite "hunter safety course" by READING the materials themselves, READING AND PASSING the required written test, and demonstrating to me and/or the course instructor (if required) that they were proficient, as well as SAFE with the weapon(s) they would be using to hunt.  My "position" on the matter is that EVERY STATE should have the above requirement.

My kids were not able to do that until both of them were nearing their 9th birthday, but they both accomplished the above and I allowed them to start hunting.  There was no "youth season" in my state at the time, and quite honestly, I was not confident of their abilities in the excitement of the "moment of truth",...and as such, I sat next to them with my shotgun ready to shoot if they wounded a gobbler and it was likely to get away (never had to do that).

Now, if a three or four-year-old can do the above, more power to them.  However, I would bet pretty much every protrusion on my body that there is not a single kid in this country that could do that at age three or four,...and most likely not until at least six or seven years of age,...and that might be being generous.

...And as I always state in these sorts of discussions,...don't nobody need to get their snood in a knot over it.  It is just the way I feel,...and at my age, ain't nobody gonna change my opinion about it.   :)

Brs2427

I listened to a podcast the other day and one of the guests was talking about a four year old shooting turkeys and that the father could see what the scope was seeing from his phone, and would tell the kid when to shoot. I think that's just to much technology.

deathfoot

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 18, 2023, 09:13:08 AM
Just read through all of this.  I agree with almost all of the general sentiments expressed,...ALMOST all of them.
At the risk of offending a few folks that feel otherwise, I will state one opinion about one point made,...and that is very young kids hunting.  Not talking about going along with dad for the ride,...talking about actually hunting.

I have two boys (men now in "middle age").  Both were big for their age and "precocious", if you will, in that they were physically bigger and stronger all around than most of their counterparts of the same age.  They both came along with me on hunts starting at about five, as I recall, and I was anxious for them to be able to actually start "hunting".

Nonetheless, I made it clear to them that the only way I would allow them to actually carry a gun and hunt was if they could pass the requisite "hunter safety course" by READING the materials themselves, READING AND PASSING the required written test, and demonstrating to me and/or the course instructor (if required) that they were proficient, as well as SAFE with the weapon(s) they would be using to hunt.  My "position" on the matter is that EVERY STATE should have the above requirement.

My kids were not able to do that until both of them were nearing their 9th birthday, but they both accomplished the above and I allowed them to start hunting.  There was no "youth season" in my state at the time, and quite honestly, I was not confident of their abilities in the excitement of the "moment of truth",...and as such, I sat next to them with my shotgun ready to shoot if they wounded a gobbler and it was likely to get away (never had to do that).

Now, if a three or four-year-old can do the above, more power to them.  However, I would bet pretty much every protrusion on my body that there is not a single kid in this country that could do that at age three or four,...and most likely not until at least six or seven years of age,...and that might be being generous.

...And as I always state in these sorts of discussions,...don't nobody need to get their snood in a knot over it.  It is just the way I feel,...and at my age, ain't nobody gonna change my opinion about it.   :)

:z-winnersmiley: :z-winnersmiley: :z-winnersmiley:

Totally 100% agree. I've had multiple conversations with some of the my best friends and we all agree.

I realize we are living in a different time from when I grew up. But I guarantee if I came from a hunting family, I wouldn't have been allowed to shoot until I could do exactly as you said.

I also realize kids basically get anything they want these days. So if a 3 year old says "dada, hunt". They say. Heck yea.

I also agree this ruffles feathers. But I can't for the life of me take a youth that is that young and I've taken lots of youth and not just on youth day.

Big Jeremy

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 18, 2023, 09:13:08 AM

I agree. This is what I have done with mine. They've tagged along when younger, but they couldn't be on the trigger until they could:

1. Competently handle and safely fire the particular weapon, and
2. Be able to read and understand the laws and safety course.

My 10 and 7 year olds are both there (though they don't want to hunt that much...and I'm definitely not going to make them). My 3 year old begs to shoot an animal. It ain't happening for a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerhunt1988

Wouldn't doubt us seeing a kid with a super slam by the age of 18 in the future.

runngun

Heck, I just read an outdoor story where they said that a 4 year old boy completed a "GRAND SLAM" This year.  I don't understand that situation at all.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Moore

Deathfoot. I think you need to take a step back.if someone is post high numbers on the bird so what. It doesn't effect you. If some one want to take their kid hunting at a early age that's the parents call. I for one took my kids but I wouldn't allow them to shoot until they can take firearm safety course. You just need to hunt they you like, and others will  hunt the way they like as long it is legal methods where they hunt. There is no reason to go off like that.Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong.
[

jhoward11

You know the old saying?  opinions are like back sides, everyone has one.(I used proper term there). I get it...forums are here for discussions. Give your opinion and some agree and some disagree. I would agree with most of what you have to say, but would add this. If it bothers you that bad, and drives you that crazy, then you may want to call the hospital and reserve a bed in the cardiac/stroke unit. Who by worrying can change anything? As some others have said...go sit against that tree and thank the lord for one more day to enjoy his beauty and the sound of that....THUNDER CHICKEN!!!!!

Number17

My boy killed his first longbeard on his 3rd hunt at 7 years old and called it in himself with a wingbone made by a friend of mine.
He shot his first deer with a cross bow at 6 years old and shot his second one just a few minutes later. He's put 4 deer in our freezer in 3 years.

I can't imagine any adult having a problem with that. Well, some think it's terrible I teach my kids to kill animals all together, but aside from that I can't understand it. A young kid shooting an animal really bothers you? Are you the guy that gets in the cake and ice cream line ahead of the kids at a birthday party too? I've seen that before.

I run into some dad's who piss and moan about little league baseball, youth wrestling, and even lately a Rube Goldberg competition I had my girls to on the first day of out trout season. Complaining they had to be with their kids, rather than on a stream with their buddies.
Had a guy lean in the dugout and ask me if we could cut the game short the other night because he wasn't having a good time. I told him to ask the 17 girls I was coaching if they wanted to quit? Nope we are undefeated so far. We aren't quitting early.
Me, I'm the guy that coaches both softball and baseball, runs the boy to every wrestling practice, helps my girls set up early for the Rube Goldberg contest, gets them to church each Sunday..........and yep, takes them hunting whenever they ask.

Lord forbid, what is this world coming to! I guess I'm part of your problem. You're just going to have to deal with it.

Maybe I should take that tail fan plaque with his beard, spurs, and wingbone that he proudly keeps in his room and toss it down in the woods because some internet guys says he doesn't deserve it? Would that make you feel better or worse? Honestly.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Moore

Quote from: Number17 on April 19, 2023, 10:44:21 AM
My boy killed his first longbeard on his 3rd hunt at 7 years old and called it in himself with a wingbone.
that's awesome Number17. Congrats to the both of you
[

Number17

Quote from: Moore on April 19, 2023, 10:51:59 AM
Quote from: Number17 on April 19, 2023, 10:44:21 AM
My boy killed his first longbeard on his 3rd hunt at 7 years old and called it in himself with a wingbone.
that's awesome Number17. Congrats to the both of you

Thank you. 99.5% of people feel the same way. A year later and we still get a kick out of telling that story.
Next Saturday has been on his calendar since last year.

Youth Day 2023! We're coming for YOUR birds!

Middle age males look out. Deathfoot beware! The KIDS are coming for YOUR birds!
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Number17

He sat on my lap when I killed this one. 18 months old. Had to change his diaper he got so excited.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls