turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best 28 gauge for Turkey Hunting?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, April 07, 2023, 04:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Title says it all. Looking to set up a small bore specifically for turkeys. One reason is to increase the challenge for myself, and work my birds in closer. Second is to have a setup for my daughters when they're old enough. Third, I'm tired of lugging around over 8lbs of 12 gauge that's really overkill with TSS shot. What are some good options? Requirements are lightweight and compact. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

FL-Boss

SA-28 tactical hands down. Just over 5lbs. 

shatcher

Trust me.  You are not at a disadvantage with a 28 loaded with TSS.

Mossyguy

I have a friend I grew up with that hosts a well known outdoor tv show. He's using the Mossberg SA-28 Tactical and has nothing but great things to say about it.

Spitten and drummen

Mossberg SA28. I have a mossberg SA410 and it's a nice little set up.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

zelmo1

Another SA-28 user and love it. So does my wife. TSS #9 handloads make it my perfect gun with the IC .520. You won't be disappointed with one bro. Z

Spring Creek Calls

I'm also a SA-28 user. Compact SA-28 with a 24" barrel shooting an Indian Creek. 525 and #9 TSS. I still tote my Model 12 on occasion for nostalgic purposes. Shooting basically the same load out of each, 1-1/2 ounces of #9 TSS.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

shatcher

I retired recently and like to tinker.  I set up a CZ Bobwhite sxs that has become my favorite.  If I didn't, I'd go with the SA-28 as mentioned here.

limhnger

Not very common but this little 870 28ga is Thunder on the noggin!

Jstocks

Quote from: limhnger on April 08, 2023, 03:40:42 PM

I just bought me one. Now I'm going to have to figure out who can thread the barrel for chokes.

It has wood furniture, so I may be looking to put synthetic on it and camo. I think I'm going to try a kick lite stock.

strut-n-rut

I have a hatfield semiautomatic I thought about trying out

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

TScottW99

Quote from: Jstocks on April 08, 2023, 05:22:11 PM

I just bought me one. Now I'm going to have to figure out who can thread the barrel for chokes.

It has wood furniture, so I may be looking to put synthetic on it and camo. I think I'm going to try a kick lite stock.

Give Sumtoy Customs a call, William can mostl likely do it for you.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

StruttinGobbler3

Thanks for all the recommendations everybody. Sounds like the Mossberg is definitely a winner. Their Bantam model sa28 looks like it may be what I'm after. One other thing I'm curious of, I don't intend to choke this gun incredibly tight. I want more of a hunting pattern, a bit wider than I usually hunt. Can a 28 with a moderately wide pattern reliably kill at 40 yards?

John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

limhnger

Quote from: Jstocks on April 08, 2023, 05:22:11 PM

Found this one coupe years ago at a pawn shop. It has wood stocks just put the Shurshot on it. Also came with a remchoke factory barrel. Found a short barrel to just have to get it threaded. Shoot a pure gold choke...

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on April 08, 2023, 07:57:25 PM
Thanks for all the recommendations everybody. Sounds like the Mossberg is definitely a winner. Their Bantam model sa28 looks like it may be what I'm after. One other thing I'm curious of, I don't intend to choke this gun incredibly tight. I want more of a hunting pattern, a bit wider than I usually hunt. Can a 28 with a moderately wide pattern reliably kill at 40 yards?

The full choke that comes with the SA-28 will give you what you're looking for, I believe. And yes, it will be good to 40 yards using TSS.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com