turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Finally, did it in Ga

Started by strum, April 06, 2023, 03:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

I hunted this property a few days ago and after some talk with a gobbler he went silent. Well dummy me after waiting what I thought was more than enough time I let my guard down and he came in from behind. I got busted.
So I set up this morn about 70 yards from that spot. I found a great stump with good cover. This put me with my back to a clearing. I liked this because if he comes to me I didn't expect he would come in behind in that openness. Moon was so bright I didnt need any light at all to sneak in.
Fully expecting a bunch of gobbling I only heard one gobble so far away I barely heard it. First light was about 6:45.
  I did the standard call sequence and wait 10 -15 minutes thinking, dang this is not good. Well at 8:05 I catch movement to my right. Of course, my gun and I are pointed left. I froze and there he was big ole white head looking for love at 10 yards. I could not move . Then 2 more. I could tell he was the dominant because he had the white face and was struttin while they were more red faced and didnt challenge him. Any of the three were decent but I had my eye on him.
So instead of going on past to my left giving me what I wanted they all decided to stroll right past me to my right into the clearing. When I say right past me, I mean I could have smacked them with the barrel of my gun. Heart beating out of my chest and beathing way to loud. All I could do was stay froze . After a few mins I peeked to my right and didnt see them so I turned to my left and sure nuff their in the clearing. I ease my gun up and I dont know if got busted again or something eles but one of em clucked and they started moving. I had a spit second to get the red dot on him because he was beginning run. . Well the ole 870 20 ga didn't let me down this time. I paced off 30 yards. So it was really the perfect distance. After last year and the first parts of this season I was beginning to thing I was jinxed. Pressure is off.. Thank you Lord!!! 10" beard 1" spurs. I didnt weigh him but he was a good healthy bird.
I know . Same ole Pic but its all i got.

Zobo

The ol' heart stopper, congrats!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Tom007

Congrats my friend. Well done!
"Solo hunter"

Old Timer

Good story. Got the job done! congrats!

harleytom

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffC

Redemption on a bird that busted you is awesome! Congrats!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

3bailey3

Notsoyoungturk

Great story and bird.  Congratulations
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

deathfoot

Great read and nice bird! I love some Georgia turkey hunting.

tomstopper

Congratulations

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

squidd

g8rvet

Way to keep your cool.  Nicely done.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Turkeybutt

Congratulations, Way to go bud!