OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Why do we allow this to continue?

Started by soILstrutter, April 06, 2023, 12:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Notsoyoungturk

Not a fan (no pun intended) of that style of hunting and have never tried it. For me, i don't think I would receive any gratification from that kind of kill.  This tragedy is a lot more complicated than some inexperienced hunter shooting another hunter that they thought was a deer or turkey.  This is someone intentionally posing as the target species with what can be an incredibly realistic decoy.  I can see situations where an excited, inexperienced hunter might not be able to tell it wasn't a turkey (thick brush, coming over a little knoll, etc...).  I would hope, however, that most experienced hunters would not make this mistake.  We know to make sure of our target and what is behind it.  Personally, I would like to see it outlawed.  I don't think it is part of the spirit of fair chase and is a setup for events such as this.  Now, the final question.  Who was at fault?  The person fooled by a realistic decoy (who should have known better) or the person using it that potentially puts themselves in harms way using the decoy (who should have been able to use it without suffering harm).  There will be lots of opinions on this one.

A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

BDeal

Quote from: soILstrutter on April 06, 2023, 01:36:28 PM
Quote from: BDeal on April 06, 2023, 01:29:20 PM
Where does it say he was reaping?

It does not in the article. I have spoken with a very credible source who says it was, when I asked them the same question.

Thank you!

quackaddict

Y'all...nobody knows for sure if the guy was reaping birds or not. Unless the OP talked to someone hunting with him, whoever shot him, or the EMT/etc, it's all here-say. Again, it's already illegal for reaping on public land in SC. That shouldn't matter one way or the other. A man is dead, multiple lives have been changed forever.

This is as bad as democrats and a school shooting...you can't even let the dust settle and get the facts before you start slinging mud.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Notsoyoungturk

Are we slinging mud or discussing an issue?
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

quackaddict

You're discussing something that may or may not have happened, where if it did indeed happen, was already illegal.

Call it what you want.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Zobo

If you're not calling birds to the gun, you're not turkey hunting.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Nathan_Wiles

This happened very near my home, its a very small, very popular wma. I haven't heard any word about the circumstances. As was said already fanning is illegal on SC public, but male decoys are not. It's tragic, and two families are forever changed.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Burtwill

I was going to make this same post. Another factor is it is already illegal on public in SC so we will see how this case shakes out. Need to make it illegal period.

strum

Very sorry to hear this. I agree with the reaping is dangerous crowd and especially on public land.
I see both hunters in the wrong here. We all agree the reaper was taking risks but why in the world would you shoot at a fan only?
Know your target folks. dang. 

Zobo

Quote from: Old Timer on April 06, 2023, 01:08:27 PM
I very seldom even put a decoy out anymore. A couple decades ago on private I had a hunter sneak through my decoys gun at the ready. I had my back to a big maple about 25 yards away. I froze and yelled what the ---- are you doing? He disappeared as quickly as he showed up. It put a little fright into me. Accidents can happen quickly. Stay safe guys. Good day.

Yes
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

bbcoach

What about States that allow rifles for turkey hunting?  That 22-250, 220 Swift, 223 or 243 isn't stopping when and if it hits a turkey.  And I sure don't want to be at ground level when someone turns a 3500 fps missile loose in my direction.  A shotgun blast is bad enough!

Goodtimekiller

Quote from: soILstrutter on April 06, 2023, 12:34:50 PM
Quote from: Goodtimekiller on April 06, 2023, 12:25:43 PM
Many more people doe each day on the way to work, should we stop people from driving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I'll bite. Apples and oranges..... but..... Do you promote methods of driving that contribute to deaths? drunk driving? texting and driving? driving without headlights? driving in the wrong lane of traffic? We could do this all day. That's not the point though......
There are plenty of driving deaths without any of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

It's a tragedy all the way around! Here's my response. I tought Hunter Education for Shotgun, Muzzleloader/Rifle, and Archery for over 15 years. The shooter violated one of the 10 Commandments of Safe Gun Handling, "Know your target, and beyond". Simple, he violated this and it resulted in a tragedy. This is a sad, unfortunate tragedy that sure could have been avoided. Prayers to all those involved. Be safe, be well.......
"Solo hunter"

Marc

While I agree that it was not necessarily a smart move to use any type of fan on a public area (as far as safety)...  I do NOT believe he got what he deserved...  He made a mistake, and paid dearly for it...  As did his friends and family.

There is nothing in the story that would make me presume whose fault it is or what happened...  I am not ready to blame anyone...

Some hunter calling at a gobbling bird, and all the sudden there is a DSD decoy coming towards him with a full fan through tall grass...  I can see where a (lethal) mistake could be made....

Someone sneaking up on, and shooting at just a fan...  Not so much.

Truth is probably somewhere in the middle....

Me...  I am NOT going to attempt to look like a legal turkey to shoot during turkey season in the woods, anyore than I am wearing brown clothes and putting antlers on my head and walking through the woods during deer season.

One thing I have come to learn, is that we should never be surprised at the capacity for human stupidity...  I just do not know where it occurred in this situation?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Greg Massey

Yes it's an accident that ended with loss of life... A big tragedy for all the families and the person who pulled the trigger and took the person's life...  Prayers ...