turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why do we allow this to continue?

Started by soILstrutter, April 06, 2023, 12:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soILstrutter

[url]https://www.wbtw.com/news/state-regional-news/south-carolina-turkey-hunter-shot-to-death-authorities-say//url]

"Ethics" aside....Why do we as a turkey hunting community allow this to continue?

I have it on good word that this hunter was shot behind a fan at 40 yards. Stop supporting people who promote it. Speak out. Condemn it to those you mentor. DO SOMETHING. This is going to become more and more commonplace as it is continuously promoted by those seeking instant gratification from social media and monetary gain. ONE DEATH IS TOO MANY.

Goodtimekiller

Many more people doe each day on the way to work, should we stop people from driving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottTaulbee

I agree, I've pushed the Commisioners in the state of KY to outlaw this nonsense for the last couple of years, at least on public land if nothing else and nothing ever came of it.

soILstrutter

Quote from: Goodtimekiller on April 06, 2023, 12:25:43 PM
Many more people doe each day on the way to work, should we stop people from driving?

Ok, I'll bite. Apples and oranges..... but..... Do you promote methods of driving that contribute to deaths? drunk driving? texting and driving? driving without headlights? driving in the wrong lane of traffic? We could do this all day. That's not the point though......

Kylongspur88

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on April 06, 2023, 12:27:48 PM
I agree, I've pushed the Commisioners in the state of KY to outlaw this nonsense for the last couple of years, at least on public land if nothing else and nothing ever came of it.

Doubt you'll get any movement or results from kdfwr but good on you for trying. Fanning birds on a management area makes about as much sense to me as standing behind a deer silhouette during gun season.

jhoward11

Anyone stupid enough to go on public ground, or for that matter anywhere, and put their face behind a fan and take that chance, may get what's coming to them! It's sad, but we all have a choice. We can only educate, but each has a right to choose. We already have enough people telling us what we can or can't do. No one is going to fix stupid!

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on April 06, 2023, 12:44:16 PM
Quote from: ScottTaulbee on April 06, 2023, 12:27:48 PM

Doubt you'll get any movement or results from kdfwr but good on you for trying. Fanning birds on a management area makes about as much sense to me as standing behind a deer silhouette during gun season.
Yep, didn't get anywhere. These commissioners we have are only out for the interest in their own "groups". I contacted every one of them, personally on the listed phone numbers they have and by email, several times. Ralph Swallows emailed me back and told me to give him a call and he'd love to discuss it further. I called him every day for a week with no answer. And never got a return call either.

soILstrutter

Quote from: jhoward11 on April 06, 2023, 12:45:55 PM
Anyone stupid enough to go on public ground, or for that matter anywhere, and put their face behind a fan and take that chance, may get what's coming to them! It's sad, but we all have a choice. We can only educate, but each has a right to choose. We already have enough people telling us what we can or can't do. No one is going to fix stupid!

Absolutely. "Play stupid games and win stupid prizes" is the phrase that comes to mind.

ddturkeyhunter

I also do agree I wish it was outlawed but will not push it my self because it puts hunters(if you call them that) against hunters.  I was a public servant for thirty year and you can't change everything to help protect the stupid! Now you have two less people hunting turkeys, ones dead the other one who shot will be in prison. Well that is two less unsafe hunters in the woods somewhere, that's a good thing for everybody else.

Old Timer

I very seldom even put a decoy out anymore. A couple decades ago on private I had a hunter sneak through my decoys gun at the ready. I had my back to a big maple about 25 yards away. I froze and yelled what the ---- are you doing? He disappeared as quickly as he showed up. It put a little fright into me. Accidents can happen quickly. Stay safe guys. Good day.

BDeal

quackaddict

Reaping is already illegal on public in SC.

It's a tragedy, plain and simple. A stupid, avoidable tragedy.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

soILstrutter

Quote from: BDeal on April 06, 2023, 01:29:20 PM
Where does it say he was reaping?

It does not in the article. I have spoken with a very credible source who says it was, when I asked them the same question.

aclawrence

It terrible that someone was killed. I feel bad for his family. I have strong feelings about reaping. I feel it's unfair to the turkeys but you get into that "if it's legal then it's ok" dialogue.  People always say well what about using calls, or camo, or TSS. You have to draw the line somewhere. This is an easy place to draw the line because not only does it cause an automatic response from gobblers much of the time it also is a huge safety risk. Anyone who crawls behind a fan on public land is either stupid, or willing to take a risk to kill a turkey. Then you get into another hot topic of social media. People breaking rules, taking risk or whatever just to get a bird to post on their social pages. Gosh I hope this wasn't part of this story. (I'm not even sure if he was reaping) People are so desperate for that social gratification. I know it will cause people to squeeze the trigger a little too quickly, or hop across that boundary because they want something to post so bad. Anyway with all that aside we have a fellow hunter who lots his life participating in the hunt that we all love so much. Prayers for his family.