OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Copperheads

Started by Old Timer, April 05, 2023, 05:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

A friend of mine sent pics of 2 different copperheads on his property in NC. My daughter lives 10 miles from him but has never seen one. But I think chaps are appropriate if I go. Why take chances.

Spitten and drummen

I live in Ms and was bit by a stumptail water moccasin when I was 15 and turkey hunting. I wear gator skins. I had Mrs. Glenda cover them with original bottomland and put Velcro in place of the zippers. Light weight , flexible and on/off in seconds. Haven't been tested by snakes yet but gives me piece of mind. If you have never been bit , trust me , you don't want to go through that. Some say they never have had a snake issue but if you ever get bit , it will change your mind.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

vt35mag

I have never been bit, but its way cheaper to buy the proper snake proof boots/gaiters than to pay for the antivenom/hospital bills, not to mention having to endure that pain

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I agree, don't take chances... wear the proper Boots / Gaiters .... IMO...

bbcoach

It's that time!  As the temps rise they will be out for sure.  We had 85 degree temps here in Eastern NC today with a duplicate tomorrow.  Back in the 50's through the weekend though.  Be careful everyone.  By the way, as we get warmer weather, Please spray your clothing with Permethrin.  You will KICK yourself, if you get Lyme or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.  Neurological diseases that can last for years.

hawgsalot

I wear snake boots for the simple reason if you get bit on the foot those fangs can get through typical hunting hikers.  I hate copperheads them suckers will strike low.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 05, 2023, 05:47:34 PM
Some say they never have had a snake issue but if you ever get bit , it will change your mind.
I have almost been bitten more than once, and was struck hard by a big boy in the snake boot another time. If it's warm enough for snakes to be on the prowl, I'm wearing snake boots.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

TScottW99

Someone gave me a pair of Rocky snake boots years ago, they're still sitting in the closest. I may regret saying it but, I've never had an issue. I see them, they see me and we don't bother with each other.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

cannonball

We have plenty of copperheads where I hunt so I put my Muck snake boots on when I get out of the truck. They are a little heavy but very comfortable.

g8rvet

We have copperheads here in North Florida where I live.  Actually pretty common.  Surprised me when I moved here 30+ years ago.  Have only seen one coral snake and they were fairly common in central Florida where I came from. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Kylongspur88

I wear gaiters when I'm in the woods. I rarely see copperheads but they're around. I've got some expensive ink on my calf I'd hate to mess up due to a snake bite.

roberthyman14

I wear snake boots everytime I'm in the woods. Plenty of rattlesnakes and moccasins

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cut N Run

If I'm turkey hunting, I'm wearing snake boots.  I always look out for snakes, but it's the ones you don't see that can give you problems.  I've been hit by one copperhead about 1" below the top of the boot. The bite didn't puncture the boot, but it definitely left some poison behind.  Made a believer out of me for sure.  Every stick I saw after that looked like a dern snake for about 3 days.

I know a woman who was walking her dog in the front yard at dusk and got hit in the ankle by a copperhead. She was in the hospital for over 2 weeks and couldn't walk right for 5 months.  They aren't the most dangerous snake out there, but they're dangerous enough.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

RiverRoost

Quote from: roberthyman14 on April 05, 2023, 09:36:23 PM
I wear snake boots everytime I'm in the woods. Plenty of rattlesnakes and moccasins

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

With you 100% on this. I'm in Ms delta where everything is poisonous, even the mosquitos bite so hard you think they are. I never go in the woods without rocky snake boots on. When I have them on my mind is at ease, the rare time I wear regular rubber boots except for the dead of winter I'm worried to death about a snake, mostly cottonmouths.

Brillo

I love Michigan.  Just reading this is freaking me out.  Even Pa. has snakes.  Enjoy!