turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The make or break decision

Started by RiverRoost, April 03, 2023, 10:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Flopper

This is a HUGE subject, one that I think I could write on forever...

Reason I think I could write forever is not because I think I am a god or something but because there are so many different variables.

Two things right off the bat: I ain't circling a turkey 180 degrees to get a shadow on me, if your hunting fields or woods that has 3" trees?

I do like the snake reference above! And, I have had sun in my eyes on many a kill.

WV Flopper

The "Make" is being in a direction the turkey is willing to go. The "Break" is being busted.

RiverRoost

Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 04, 2023, 06:52:01 PM
Forgot to mention standing, huge advantage in many situations, killed half my birds last season standing up!

Man that's interesting. I could see it be as good as a seat at the base of a tree, I've just got to get brave enough to try it!

rstewart8706

Gooserbat

Shade and a wider than me backdrop.  A rise in front for him to "pop over" certainly does help.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Dtrkyman

Every bird I have killed standing, which is many had no idea I was in the world!  Standing behind large trees, standing in pines, either way you are hidden extremely well.

This all started on a friends lease, really steep terrain and birds were constantly coming to his call and hanging up just out of sight, I told him to just set up standing, he never did for whatever reason.

I got on that lease with him and killed my first two birds standing!  Been using it ever since.

Tail Feathers

Shade, overhanging limbs over my head seem to help, along with front cover and a decent field of fire in the direction I think the bird will come from or to.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Zobo

Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 05, 2023, 05:23:55 PM
Every bird I have killed standing, which is many had no idea I was in the world!  Standing behind large trees, standing in pines, either way you are hidden extremely well.

This all started on a friends lease, really steep terrain and birds were constantly coming to his call and hanging up just out of sight, I told him to just set up standing, he never did for whatever reason.

I got on that lease with him and killed my first two birds standing!  Been using it ever since.

I shot two gobblers standing last year. One came in so fast I had no choice. The other I shot after standing up to leave and realizing he was still there, couldn't see him while sitting and he wasn't saying much. I have shot a few others through the years while leaning against trees and the view angle helps at times. One negative is that off hand shots are usually more difficult.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

hawgsalot

Standing is a new one for me, the only time I tried it I missed one in North Missouri after watching him in a corn field for an hour.