OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pond Gobbler messed up!

Started by quackaddict, April 01, 2023, 04:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quackaddict

This bird made me question my ears and my sanity even more so than normal a few times this year, but the 4th time was one time too many for him. The first hunt of the year on this bird, he literally had me running circles around our 7ac pond trying to figure out where he was on the tree. It was maddening to say the least. Second trip, I went with my gut and caught a glimpse of him and a hen pitching down across the pond and heading to the woods instead of the field where I thought they'd be. I made a plan to setup where I thought their feet hit the dirt for the third hunt, but he was roosted across the paved road on the neighbors place. As luck would have it, his hen made the mistake of taking the same route to the ground again, and I saw where I needed to be next time I hunted him. Found out last night that the boy's baseball opener was canceled for today. Debated on heading to the 7-ring circus that would have been the public opener this morning, but decided to stick with the bird that I had an actual plan on. Got there this morning and the Pond Gobbler was back in his magic spot that makes him sound as if he's about 3 different places while in the tree. Turns out, the reason I couldn't pinpoint him the first two trips was he was basically roosted on an island in the pond so the water, high banks, and him spinning on the tree made it dang near impossible for me to course him. I was on the south bank waiting for him. I knew there was a chance he'd pitch to the west bank and work south my way, but I'd seen them pitch to my location two mornings in a row. Of course, he pitched to the west bank this morning. I let him get on the ground and gobble a couple of times before I ever made a peep. He immediately cut me off so I knew I needed to move a bit. I backed up to my SW about 50 yards to a creek crossing, gave him some light purring and clucking, and he cut me off again, so I sat down quick-like. Wasn't a few minutes later that I saw his hen. When she picked her way across the creek at 15 yards, I put the gun in that opening and waited. I saw his white head following the same path she took, and when he stepped to the edge of the creek, I sent one his way. Done and saying a prayer by 7:30. God is good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

packmule

Ah, nice. Congratulations, that black and white photo looks great.

Greg Massey

JeffC

Great job on the hunt, story and pictures, Congratulations
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

tomstopper

Very nice. Congratulations

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

quackaddict

Gracias guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Old Timer

Mabren2

Love it when a plan comes together!

3bailey3

Turkeybutt

Great hunt, thanks for sharing the story.
Good looking bird and I do enjoy the black and white photo.
Congratulations!

Tom007

Great hunt, thanks for sharing. Congrats...
"Solo hunter"

greentrout

Great story! Way to stick with that bird. And great pictures
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Seminole Custom Calls

RutnNStrutn

Sounds like some exciting hunts! Congrats!!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk