OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Texas Rio outfitter recommendations UPDATE

Started by bchilde, April 01, 2023, 11:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bchilde

I couldn't find my original post so I started a new one. Me and 2 buddies went to south texas and hunted with Wildlife Systems. We seen literally hundreds of turkeys on this 3 day hunt. All 3 of us tagged out . The food and the hospitality was out of this world too. By far the best hunting trip Iv been on. If anyone is wanting to go fill their rio tag use Wildlife Systems. Unbelievable how many turkeys are there. I for some reason can't load my pictures. Highly highly recommended

hipp2412

That is my next target for the grand slam. Thanks for the info
Hipp

Jmarek

I've hunted with Wildlife Systems in Texas many times dating back to when Greg first started. He runs a first rate operation.
He has great land to hunt on and I saw so many turkeys I was usually sitting with my mouth open.
Also, i've gone Whitetail hunting and Pronhorn .
Can't recommend him more - He's great

bchilde

Yes I agree,  We seen so many birds . I had my 2 birds killed in the first 40 minutes. I was told the hatch was 40 percent lower than back 4-5 years ago. I couldn't imagine having that many more birds. We seen hundreds of turkeys . I wouldn't look anywheres else to hunt my rio.

arrow1

I've hunted with them multiple times and have always had great hunting,  great camp atmosphere and great food. My favorite is the  mesquite grilled steak night! Ive taken 5 rios with them. One year I decided to bowhunt and only took one bird. Glad you had a good experience.

RND1983

Great to hear you had success. I am wrapping up a Texas hunt as we speak that was the polar opposite. This outfitter advertised a good population and many many thousands of acres. There are two other guys in this particular camp. I was fortunate enough the first afternoon to kill probably the only turkey that was on this ranch the first five minutes of hunting. The next few days we were taken to the same ranch that had no tracks, strut sign, or any sign of turkey life. There were no offers to try and relocate at least the other two guys who were trying to get their Rio and have a positive Texas turkey hunting experience. I know it's turkey "hunting", but if you are an outfitter in Texas, you should have a good idea of how many birds you have and maybe go listen before people pay their hard earned money to have a different experience than back home. When I asked before I came about the turkey report, I was told nobody had hunted the ranch and there were plenty. This may be my last Texas trip. With last years drought, I anticipate next year will be a challenge in many areas. Just gonna put this one behind me.

Jstocks

Quote from: RND1983 on April 03, 2023, 09:11:11 AM
Great to hear you had success. I am wrapping up a Texas hunt as we speak that was the polar opposite. This outfitter advertised a good population and many many thousands of acres. There are two other guys in this particular camp. I was fortunate enough the first afternoon to kill probably the only turkey that was on this ranch the first five minutes of hunting. The next few days we were taken to the same ranch that had no tracks, strut sign, or any sign of turkey life. There were no offers to try and relocate at least the other two guys who were trying to get their Rio and have a positive Texas turkey hunting experience. I know it's turkey "hunting", but if you are an outfitter in Texas, you should have a good idea of how many birds you have and maybe go listen before people pay their hard earned money to have a different experience than back home. When I asked before I came about the turkey report, I was told nobody had hunted the ranch and there were plenty. This may be my last Texas trip. With last years drought, I anticipate next year will be a challenge in many areas. Just gonna put this one behind me.

Would be good to know at least an area or town you were near.
Outfitter name would be even better.

bchilde

What's the name of the outfitter ? Maybe you will save someone else's hard earned money.

Dtrkyman

Texas seems to really be all or nothing!  A friend went down with a guy he knows that was guiding deer hunts and wanted to guide turkey hunts.

Spent several days down there and never saw or heard a turkey, zero sign as well.  Driving around a loarge area there were one or two ranches with all the birds.

Definitely post up the lousy outfit!

RND1983

bchilde

There should be a thread on here for all bad outfitters. If I had a bad experience I'd tell the whole world about it.

Go hunt with Wildlife Systems and I guarantee you'll have the best turkey hunting experience in your life.

RND1983

I would love to bash them, but my experience could be different than others. Who knows. I am more than happy to respond to a DM.

Dtrkyman

No need to " bash" just state facts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dzsmith

Quote from: RND1983 on April 03, 2023, 09:50:56 AM
I would love to bash them, but my experience could be different than others. Who knows. I am more than happy to respond to a DM.
don't feel bad . I've been to Texas twice and have been skunked twice . With Rios in that environment , you are either in them or not.... That's all there is to it. Now.... I did miss a turkey ... so I can own some of that.... However , the opportunity outside of the miss on both places was basically zero. It's just reality.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

bbcoach

Sounds like a target rich environment.  Is Wildlife Systems a Fully guided hunt or semi-guided?