turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Getting some culture

Started by Jay, June 26, 2011, 02:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

Our big event for that is the Des Moines Art Show featuring artists from all over the US. So, being I felt I needed some refinement, I spent 3 hours downtown checking out the booths, and enjoying some good music.
My people observations: hot, classy ladies go to art shows. I was impressed. If you are blind, why do you go to an art show? Couldn't figure that one out.
Art observations. Even if I had the money, 95% of the stuff I saw, I wouldn't display in my garage. I must not be refined enough.
However, 2 booths I drooled at, and both involved lathes. One was a California artist doing stone work and the other a Wisconsin artist doing burl wooden vessels. Beautiful work, but then again, who pays that kind of money for something to sit on a shelf. I also liked a couple of booths that did glass blowing. Man, that was some awesome stuff. I would like to learn how to do that.
Overall, it was a good 3 hours, but I still feel like a redneck. Guess I need to go to more of these events to appreciate what they want $3000 for.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

redarrow

Glass blowing is some pretty cool stuff. Most of that junk they call art ain't even got a turkey painted on it. NOW. you what art just check out Flintlocks stuff. Art without turkeys is like a Playboy mag without a centerfold.

Jay

Quote from: gobblerD on June 26, 2011, 07:06:27 PM
Jay your a cultured Redneck. I can't believe you wouldn't pay for a piece of wood to set on your mantle. :TooFunny:
The burls were drop dead beautiful, but I'd have to be in a totally different tax bracket to buy that stuff.

mossy835

You could buy a lot of pots, box calls and scratch boxes and still have funds for a few good turkey hunts. Being a redneck means keeping he funds for usable things to me.
:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an :newmascot: :gobble: :fud: :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

stinkpickle

Hey Jay, I hear all the good (and affordable) art from the local artists is available at the fairgrounds the same weekend at the arts festival every year. 

Jay

True, but I hadn't planned on buying anything anyways, and the downtown show had entertainment.

mnturkey

I agree with you about the classy ladies, but face it they would not look at us and if they happened to glance at us they would say "who let the riff raff in"
Talk to the guy with the wood working and see if he would make you a $3000.00 that you could loose in the woods.
SEMPER FI

Jay

Quote from: mnturkey on June 27, 2011, 11:10:18 AM
I agree with you about the classy ladies, but face it they would not look at us and if they happened to glance at us they would say "who let the riff raff in"
Talk to the guy with the wood working and see if he would make you a $3000.00 that you could loose in the woods.
True on the ladies, but like the art work, I do like to look, but I sure can't afford one ;D