OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How do you waterproof?

Started by Goblen, March 24, 2023, 02:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goblen

How do you waterproof your turkey calls? Moisture causes calls to fall flat or dead. Even just a morning with heavy dew and or high humidity. Looking for different methods. If I made the perfect vest, it would have waterproof pouches or atleast better then what available on the market. Zip lock's and silica pouches? Keep a lighter with you? Thanks

Yoder409

Simplest method possible :

When it's raining I take a diaphragm and nothing else. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

btomlin

I carry a couple of gal size zip locs in my vest just in case I get caught in a rainstorm so I can protect my good calls.  I guess I don't do anything else for humidity/dew.

tracker#1

X2  on bags ...Along with a zip lock bag, through in a hand warmer inside the bag for cooler damp days, but leave the bag a little open because the warmer needs air to activate...

Wigsplitter

Diaphragm on rainy days for me - ziplock bags as others have mentioned if need to carry pots

Dtrkyman

I'm with Yoder and Wigsplitter, but now I have some wing bones so will take those also.

wyetterp

Lonzo stoned aluminum in acrylic & a crystal over carbon fiber in acrylic. Paired with Sinclairs green waterproof striker.

Both are loud enough for the rain & soft enough. Pretty sure that combo could purr under water.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Zobo

Quote from: btomlin on March 24, 2023, 02:31:48 PM
I carry a couple of gal size zip locs in my vest just in case I get caught in a rainstorm so I can protect my good calls.  I guess I don't do anything else for humidity/dew.

I do this too, it's always a good idea.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

eddie234

I never take any of my good calls out in the rain. I have a dedicated rainy day vest, I have water proof calls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

WV Flopper

To the OP, learn how to use and have confidence in a mouth call. This well eliminate your concern.

If you are in High humidity and have carried your pot call in a bag to protect it, when you pull that slate out it will turn black. Been there.

For rain days and days of southern humidity it is good to have confidence in your mouth calls. That's how I deal with it.

Timmer

I have a seperate zipper closed pouch with pockets inside for different types if calls.  It's meant to be a small run and gun pouch you wear on your belt, but I wear it on my chest using a horizontal strap on my vest.   I carry it on moist mornings and any day that calls for rain.  In it I have all waterproof calls - small box, push pin, pots, strikers.  It doesn't add much weight and has been a life saver.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Gooserbat

I use a bread sack for my box calls and not to sound like a commercial but I use my Thunder Wonder water proof striker on my pots.  It will play wet on any surface.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

BDeal

I have 2 enticer waterproof pots (aluminum and glass)  and a couple of carbon and metal strikers.

Lone Star Eastern

Keep a cheap BIC lighter in your best to heat the moisture off of the slate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 24, 2023, 02:27:05 PM
Simplest method possible :

When it's raining I take a diaphragm and nothing else.

Mouth call, plus a Jordan or wingbone, and a Woods Wise waterproof short box.

But I try not to hunt the rain...
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot