turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bypass surgery/recoil 12 ga 3 1/2"

Started by steelheadr, March 15, 2023, 04:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelheadr

Last October I had quintuple bypass surgery. i gave up archery season and deer gun season to let my breast bone heal.  May is our turkey season. I am concerned about recoil from my 12 ga 3 1/2". I was wondering if any one out there had similar situation and what you did.

ol bob

I had the same surgery on Sep. 11 and was hunting Apr. 6 the next year, Moss. 835 3 1/2" shells

Tom007

You can certainly enjoy Turkey hunting switching to a sub-gauge gun with way less recoil. I didn't realize how much kick the heavy load 12's dish out till I set up a 16 gauge, the 2 3/4 inch shells kick way less, and pattern way good enough to tip over a Tom. I wish you luck, hope you get out to enjoy the season.....
"Solo hunter"

Turkeybutt

I had Total reverse shoulder replacement and went to a 20 Gauge or a 410

bbcoach

I would think since your cardiologist has released you to drive, you should be OK.  They keep you from driving for about 6 weeks to keep you from possibly getting an impact from a wreck and or the Airbag deploying into your sternum.  As others have said, you can go to 2 3/4 inch shells.  But your cardiologist would be the person to answer this question.  Get out there and ENJOY your NEW found Health.  I wish you nothing but the VERY BEST!

Tom007

Quote from: bbcoach on March 15, 2023, 04:59:13 PM
I would think since your cardiologist has released you to drive, you should be OK.  They keep you from driving for about 6 weeks to keep you from possibly getting an impact from a wreck and or the Airbag deploying into your sternum.  As others have said, you can go to 2 3/4 inch shells.  But your cardiologist would be the person to answer this question.

This is the best advice yet, he would definitely steer you right....good luck
"Solo hunter"

Dtrkyman

Buy some 2 3/4 TSS 1 5/8th OZ from foxtrot or the herters 1.5 oz.  Heart issues or not!

2eagles

Forget the 3 1/2" shells first of all. I shoot a lot of Canada geese and haven't lost a thing by going to 3 inch shells. A big difference in recoil and you'll still kill your turkey.
Having said that, going to a 20 makes a lot of sense.

aclawrence

Well I'd dump out of those 3 1/2's real quick either way. You can definitely find a much softer shooting combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hook hanger

I would just switch to a shell that recoil less. A 1oz tss load will kill with authority as far as we should be shooting them with some cushion for miss judged yardage.

WV Flopper

1st. Glad your doing well and recovering, preparing for season. That's great!
2nd. I hated pulling the trigger on a Mossberg stuffed with Federal copper plated #6. 20 years old, dumb, strong, and still hated it.

If you ha e any clots it should send them on down the line......Sorry, couldn't help it. I am with a lot of the guys, don't buy a new gun unless you want too. Get a low dose of #9 TSS and it will do great with a lot less recoil.

paboxcall

Nothing a 3.5" shell can do in the turkey woods that a 2.75" with 1 5/8oz. TSS straight 8s can't.

And way less recoil with that load. Contact Foxtrot Ammo.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

quackaddict

Get some Herter's 1.5oz 2 3/4" #9s. Recoil is nill. Your typical 1 5/8oz 20ga loads of tss are going to be a bit worse in the recoil dept out of a light 20ga. And if you can't kill a turkey with this kind of pattern, then I don't know what to tell you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

squidd

Triple-B for me last Fall and once the Surgeon heard what I like to do, he put a few extra rings in to hold it all together.

I did talk the Mrs. into a new X-bolt in 6.5 Creedmore with a muzzlebrake for deer season and shot boxes of 3" 20-gauge throughout duck season. 

One turkey so far this year with a 20-gauge due to getting worn out after two days of toting the 12-gauge for nearly nine miles; third day was a charm with just under six miles traveled. 

Only thing I let slide were the gator tags but that was right after surgery.

That said, everyone heals differently and might give you a chance to try a 20-gauge or even .410?  Lightening up what you carry will help.

Hope the recovery and new plumbing goes well!

Vintage

Unless you are living in the Nineties you should know that you do not need 3 1/2 to kill a turkey.  come into 2023.