turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Y'all be safe now post 2023

Started by Old Gobbler, March 12, 2023, 08:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

Guys time for my annual safety post ...I'm nearing 40th season of turkey hunting ...with that said , statistics indicate that if your doing something long  enough and the odds are you are going to run into a idiot...turkey hunting is no different , rather than sidetrack the post with personal stories I'm going to put up some helpful suggestions to keep you safe ...if anybody else has some good tips it would be appreciated

1) avoid people ...if there is other people ...stay away from them ..go somewhere else , if your being crowded ..use extreme caution

2) don't wear red, white or blue ...white socks are a no -no ...be cautious of red logos or patches on ball caps etc , red ,white or blue beverage,/snack packaging beside you is a no-go

3) Do Not..... move in on a gobbler in a dangerous manner  especially if there is a other people , they may mistake you for that very same gobbler and in the moment of confusion..shoot you ...this is common

4) If  you are  using decoys ..do not place put that decoy in a manner  where you are  ARE"lined up " to get sprayed , shot etc... this also especially counts for "fanning" you would not believe how reckless folks can be ... Be mindful of road shooters , rifle shooters ...people walking up trails , roads or fire breaks and what could occur if they shoot at that decoy and you are potentially a backstop for any overspray

5) Always assume there are poachers ..and they are toting a 22 or rifle ...and what thier most common route of travel ...we have ones that use arrows and high powered airguns ..be cautious setting up on property lines these fools will travel ...50% of shooting incidents occur on private property

6) Sadly a lot of people that shoot other people while hunting will LEAVE you and run ...use and carry a cell phone ..if in bad range ...let people know in advance in case you fall out of a tree stand or roll over a atv , etc ..it could save your life .

7) .have a mandatory text safety text check in for all members in your hunting group , club ..have everyone set a alarm on their phone and check in ..or someone is coming to get you back out

8 ) orange vest in your turkey vest ...pull it out when leaving the woods or if things get sketchy and you get crowded

9) Be cautious if you hear " something " walking behind you that you cannot see ...this is why you try to keep a tree to you back ...people will simply shoot at the sound of a turkey call or movement like you reaching for a call

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 12, 2023, 08:08:27 PM
Guys time for my annual safety post ...I'm nearing 40th season of turkey hunting ...with that said , statistics indicate that if your doing something long  enough and the odds are you are going to run into a idiot...turkey hunting is no different , rather than sidetrack the post with personal stories I'm going to put up some helpful suggestions to keep you safe ...if anybody else has some good tips it would be appreciated

1) avoid people ...if there is other people ...stay away from them ..go somewhere else , if your being crowded ..use extreme caution

2) don't wear red, white or blue ...

3) don't move in on a gobbler in a dangerous manner  especially if there is a other people , they may mistake you for that very same gobbler and in the moment of confusion..shoot you ...this is common

4) if your using decoys ..don't put em in a place where your NOT"lined up "  this also especially counts for "fanning" you would not believe how reckless folks can be ... Be mindful of road shooters , rifle shooters ...people walking up trails , roads or fire breaks and what the spray if their pattern can do to you

5) assume there are poachers ..and they are toting a 22 or rifle ...and what thier most common route of travel ...we have ones that use arrows and high powered airguns ..be cautious setting up on property lines these fools will travel

6) Sadly a lot of people that shoot other people while hunting will LEAVE you and run ...use and carry a cell phone ..if in bad range ...let people know in advance in case you fall out of a tree stand or roll over a atv , etc ..it could save your life .

7) .have a mandatory text safety text check in for all members in your hunting group , club ..have everyone set a alarm on their phone and check in ..or someone is coming to get you back out

8 ) orange vest in your turkey vest ...pull it out when leaving the woods or if things get sketchy and you get crowded

The orange vest in your turkey vest is a great idea. Not a bad idea to put that thing on when toting a turkey over your shoulder back to the truck.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Notsoyoungturk

Amen.  Also, don't forget to use permethrin on your clothes.  Tick borne diseases are not as immediately threatening but can have serious consequences none the less.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Kylongspur88

Not a bad idea to keep a tourniquet in your vest or pack. Also, if you see another hunter don't call to them with a turkey call or wave your hand around to let them know you're there. Use your voice

Wigsplitter

Great post I second all the things he mentioned!! Be safe out there guys!!

PoolGobbler

Good luck to everyone in the woods this year! Great post

Neill_Prater

The orange vest is something I have carried for at least 30 years. They weigh almost nothing and the cheap thin ones fold up small.

A suggestion. Carry it where it's easily accessible, even when seated. I keep mine in the cargo pocket of my pants. If I see another hunter approaching, I just display it and don't say or do anything else until it's obvious they see me.

Also a handy and safe way to make another hunter at some distance aware of your presence, for example, if you are set up on a large field.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

spurs2bgobblin

Good tips. I'll add that I keep these on me at all times. It'll suck carrying a little extra but you won't bleed out and die if some jackass shoots you.

SWAT-TW tourniquet
(severe extremity bleeding/snakebite)

Combat gauze Z-fold
(Packing a wound when you can't/don't need a tourniquet)

Olaes 6" bandage
(So many uses for trauma)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"In the South it's an understanding. To a turkey hunter, it's a life not subject to change. They know it's crazy. But to them, to us, it's worth it."

Moore

[

Turkeybutt

Great Post and and remarks!
Good luck out there guys and girls and be safe!

TScottW99

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Howieg

Be aware of your surroundings .
Getting shot sucks ,, shooting someone else would suck worse !!
These new shells carry a lot further then the older stuff . 

Tom007

Thank you Shannon. Great post here. The only thing I would like to add concerns safety when shouldering your shotgun. As you know, allot of Turkey shotguns have very short barrels. Some of these are as short as 18 inches. Carrying these shorter guns on your shoulder with a sling can be dangerous. The shorter barrel depending on the angle and how short your sling is can point close to your head if your not careful. Just a thought, be safe and conscious here.....
"Solo hunter"

eggshell

Quote from: Howieg on March 13, 2023, 07:17:20 AM
Be aware of your surroundings .
Getting shot sucks ,, shooting someone else would suck worse !!
These new shells carry a lot further then the older stuff .

Take my word for it, getting shot sucks a whole lot more. You are right though, both suck a lot.

A tourniquet can be a simple piece of paracord. Believe me also on this one, it definiately can save your life. At least wear a belt. I am pretty sure without my belt I'd  just be worm food instead of posting today.

An orange hat or stocking cap works insteaf of a vest.
A whistle is small and can be used to help locate you or warn other hunters

the Ward

Great and timely post. Lots of good advice from everyone. Hope all have a successful and
safe season. The old adage is just as true as it ever was,"An ounce of prevention is worth
a pound of cure" Good luck and stay safe my friends.