OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossy Oak Mr Fox merchandise....

Started by Ole Satilla, March 11, 2023, 01:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

To each his own. I have done some guided hunts for birds. Not cheap and enjoyed the hunts. Then :funnyturkey: I have had friends ask how much for the trip. ---- then they would flip that much for a turkey hunt. Now if they ask, not all I tell them if you intend going look it up!

Happy

How long till they release the Cuz Strickland vest? I say 5 years or less.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: mudlickman2 on March 13, 2023, 04:45:04 PM
I don't really care about the prices. But all this dog and pony show about how much support they're getting and blah blah blah... who would have thought that if you take time to produce a quality product in America after decades of Chinese bs that people would be excited about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The vest was made in Myanmar

afhunter1

Well, I just ordered one online but like a dummy I accidentally highlighted the unnumbered one instead of the numbered version.  They still had both when I checked out.  Prob for the best because if I got the limited one I'd prob not hunt it as much.   Since I just got the regular one it's gonna go on every hunt from now on.

I only bought it because it does look like a great vest.  It's pretty much the layout I'd draw up.  The more I look at it the more I like it.

g8rvet

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on March 13, 2023, 10:33:00 AM
Quote from: arkrem870 on March 13, 2023, 09:05:20 AM
I've always been a mossy oak guy. I've worn it almost exclusively for years. And i wear something in mossy oak about everyday of my life.  I've been 100+ miles offshore in a boat wrapped in mossy oak.   I've been to the store in Mississippi. I watched hunting the country and all the early stuff. Watched the launch of mossy oak properties, biologic, gamekeepers, mossy oak fishing, mossy oak golf, mossy oak retrievers etc etc. they are experts at marketing and promoting. And have built an empire. The Dixon vest was very nice when it came out....it blew up with the help of social media down the road.  Now the fox vest is building off the same desire for people to have something exclusive that few others have. And nothing wrong with that. To each their own. But at the end of the day it's a turkey vest no better or worse than hundreds of others. I understand that many went to great lengths to procure it and that fine but because we don't all feel the same about having a exclusive turkey vest doesn't make us "not get it" or "not understand what it's all about". What it's all about for myself is hunting turkeys .....and I get that. Cheers
We share similar thoughts.

My whole issue with the vest is not that it costs $450 (we live in a Capitalist society and if folks are willing to pay $450 then they can knock the my selves out).

My issue is the general public's perception of what the vest signifies.

I've seen several comments online that are along the lines of

"Mr Fox is the reason we have turkeys in East Mississippi today, his actions conserved the turkeys for generations to come"

"Fox is a turkey god amongst mortal men"

"If you don't understand the significance of the turkey vest your not a real turkey hunter".

No one knew what to think of Fox until mossy oak told them what to think, now he is being made out as some martyr for the turkey and America's greatest conservationist. Mossy Oak has a phenomenal marketing and community engagement team, no doubt about that.

I'm sure the vest is a nice vest made of high quality material, but don't fool yourself talking about what the vest means.

If someone wants to make a commemorative vest to honor a true conservationist how about we make vests in the name of
-Aldo Leopold
-Gifford Pinchot
-Theodore Roosevelt
-the tens of thousands of unnamed wildlife biologists, state and federal game agency employees, land managers, and so on.
-Hell even Joe Biden and his "30 by 30" initiative makes me think of him as a conservationist.

Point being, No one ever thought much of Fox Haas until Mossy Oak told you to do so. Not knocking Fox personally, I'm sure he's like everyone else's grandpa was. But don't act like this vest is anymore than 1) a vest commemorating someone's grandpa (That's right, would you buy a vest in honor of TR69'S grandpa? Probably not. Because I don't own the most well known camo company in the southeast) 2) A huge money grab by mossy oak.

Pretty much nailed my way of thinking about it.  Only thing I disagree with is that it is a money grab.  It is just a corporation doing what a corporation does, improving the bottom line.  No skin off my teeth.

The eBay prices are mostly not bid on or not yet purchased.  But if you think about it, let's say I wanted one of those vests and not the experience of getting it (which would be cool, but let's just assume I only want a vest)  In order to have gone and stood in that line, I would have to take day or two off work, carry my camper or stay in a motel, to try to purchase said vest with no guarantee I would get one.  Instead, I pay the extra $800 to stay at work, save my time and make more money at work or do something else I would rather be doing.  I get that and don't think that is too crazy of a number.  I would not have traveled and stood in that line to make $800.   I just don't get that it is a big deal either way.  Scalping has been around forever-they probably scalped box seats to watch some gladiator get eaten by lions in Rome. 

As the guy said above it is a false demand that makes people lose their minds (like Beanie Babies  :drool:)
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

gmbellew

agreed, the layout is about perfect for me. been running a limbhanger since they came out and even have a spare new one waiting in reserve. the Mr fox vest is the best layout on the market right now for me, because it is similar to the limbhanger outside but the inside pockets are laid out better. agree that it would have been nice to make it in the USA...even if the cost would have been higher...

Spurs

Quote from: afhunter1 on March 13, 2023, 05:34:42 PM
Well, I just ordered one online but like a dummy I accidentally highlighted the unnumbered one instead of the numbered version.  They still had both when I checked out.  Prob for the best because if I got the limited one I'd prob not hunt it as much.   Since I just got the regular one it's gonna go on every hunt from now on.

I only bought it because it does look like a great vest.  It's pretty much the layout I'd draw up.  The more I look at it the more I like it.

I got on at 4:14 and the numbered was X out.  Got unnumbered and dang happy too.  Can't wait to fill it up and run some miles with it.
This year is going to suck!!!

afhunter1

Quote from: Spurs on March 13, 2023, 05:39:29 PM

I got on at 4:14 and the numbered was X out.  Got unnumbered and dang happy too.  Can't wait to fill it up and run some miles with it.
Yeah, I'm kind of excited to try it out too.  I don't really like any vest I've ever used but this one might be ok. 

76chevy

the ebay turnaround and sell it quick cash grab is really something....

MO marketing is top notch for sure!!!

longbow2240

It's unreal. But not surprising this day and time. To each his own nowadays!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Southernson13

Quote from: afhunter1 on March 13, 2023, 06:05:40 PM
Quote from: Spurs on March 13, 2023, 05:39:29 PM

Yeah, I'm kind of excited to try it out too.  I don't really like any vest I've ever used but this one might be ok. 

I'm very happy with the purchase. There is one caveat. Idk where you hunt but this vest is too thick to hunt South Alabama late in the season. I'll probably wear it a couple times a year then switch to my alps grand slam.

mudlickman2

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on March 13, 2023, 05:33:28 PM
I don't really care about the prices. But all this dog and pony show about how much support they're getting and blah blah blah... who would have thought that if you take time to produce a quality product in America after decades of Chinese bs that people would be excited about it?

You're kidding....

On the website they had pictures with a lady putting one together... I just assumed they were making it domestic.

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: mudlickman2 on March 13, 2023, 10:53:21 PM

You're kidding....

On the website they had pictures with a lady putting one together... I just assumed they were making it domestic.

Nope. Made in Myanmar.
But I mentioned somewhere else, after working in American textile manufacturing for the last 9 months... I'd rather buy something made overseas. American manufacturing isn't what it used to be.

Dazzler

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on March 13, 2023, 11:45:36 PM
Quote from: mudlickman2 on March 13, 2023, 10:53:21 PM

You're kidding....

Nope. Made in Myanmar.
But I mentioned somewhere else, after working in American textile manufacturing for the last 9 months... I'd rather buy something made overseas. American manufacturing isn't what it used to be.
I feel like for what they charge, an American sewing house could be sourced to make the vest. For "how to make in America" Call up Kifaru, the Hill People Gear or one of many companies that produce Berry compliant packs and gear for hunters.

stinkpickle

I hadn't been paying attention to this Mr Fox vest stuff, so I just went out to Ebay to take a look.  And WOW!  I will make some popcorn and watch this fun from afar.  LOL!