turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why Goretex?

Started by Tom007, March 08, 2023, 07:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

We all hunt in adverse conditions, even clear early morning dew covered fields require waterproof footwear. I've had several pairs of hunting boots throughout my career. I've tried pretty much all of them. I only wear rubber boots deer hunting, mostly for sent control. I do not wear Rubber boots Turkey hunting, I am walking miles on uneven, rocky terrain wear Rubber boots don't cut it. I don't have to deal with snakes, thus 10 inch boots work fine. What I've learned the hard "wet" way that if it's not Goretex, it leaks. I've had a few pairs of Irish Setters, Danner, and Lacrosse that were Goretex, that lasted for years. Goretex boots are getting tougher to find, and are very expensive. But after trying the other waterproof membranes, I quickly realized that none of them keep water out. Goretex also works in hunting garments too. This season, I am gonna try out Danner Sharptail Goretex boots. So far in my break-in walks, they seem real good. Would love to hear if anyone has found non-Goretex boots (other than rubber), that they had success with. Be safe....
"Solo hunter"

soILstrutter

I have found that same exact thing. Unless they were goretex, they leaked! I actually bought a cheaper (around $160 at the time) pair of Rocky Rangers specifically because of the goretex. They are full leather, comfortable, and after 2.5 years, still waterproof! I tried Danners with goretex, but after a year something happened to them and the soles squeak every step I take, which you can imagine is quite annoying and ultimately useless in the turkey woods. I loved the boots, but as is, they are useless.

Tom007

Quote from: soILstrutter on March 08, 2023, 08:47:38 AM
I have found that same exact thing. Unless they were goretex, they leaked! I actually bought a cheaper (around $160 at the time) pair of Rocky Rangers specifically because of the goretex. They are full leather, comfortable, and after 2.5 years, still waterproof! I tried Danners with goretex, but after a year something happened to them and the soles squeak every step I take, which you can imagine is quite annoying and ultimately useless in the turkey woods. I loved the boots, but as is, they are useless.

Contact Danner, they will replace them I'm sure. They shouldn't squeak...
"Solo hunter"

MO_HUNTER

I found this out years ago. I don't understand it either, but if it ain't G-Tex I won't buy it. I have been through all the other so called waterproof stuff too... they sure did get it right.

Guskie

I haven't had good luck with goretex. I have had a lot of $300+ boots with goretex and they all eventually leaked. Some right away, other took a year or two.

If I know I have a chance of being in water I wear lacrosse grange rubber boots.

Greg Massey

My preference is goretex, but i don't think any of them are bullet proof from leaking anymore ...I have a pair of non-goretex lacrosse boots that are waterproof and have been pretty good over last couple of years. So like all others these are due to start leaking ...

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: Guskie on March 08, 2023, 09:08:13 AM
I haven't had good luck with goretex. I have had a lot of $300+ boots with goretex and they all eventually leaked. Some right away, other took a year or two.

If I know I have a chance of being in water I wear lacrosse grange rubber boots.
I agree they all leak at some point.  I have a pair of Gore-Tex Rocky Cornstalkers that leaked after a couple of years.  Boots are NOT made the way they used to be I am sorry to say.  If I know it's going to be wet I wear a pair of rubber/neopreme uninsulated camo Muck Boots. They don't leak!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

btomlin

My sharptails didn't leak for a 2 years.  Then I wore a hole in the "toe box seam" and they leaked in that hole.  I've since gone to the Danner Grouse and they are well worth the extra $100.

Sir-diealot

I am sure there is something out there that is better, but like so many things Goretex has the power in the industry so nothing else can get in. Have seen that with so many things, just look at camo patters, most people had only heard of Mossy Oak and Realtree for a long time but there were others that had to fight had to break past them. Something better will come up. Only thing is now things are built to break so will the industry bother to use it?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

BDeal

My Danners started leaking within a year and then the leather started breaking down. Super light and comfortable but they don't last.

Tom007

Thanks for the info.....appreciate it......
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

My Danners that I had for almost 10 years finally started leaking. I Replaced them with Irish Setters that lasted about 5 years, then in both pairs the Goretex broke down, actually dried out and broke up. That will happen over time to any Goretex boot, but many years of dry feet was worth it......The Goretex Sharp-tail Danners I have are built with some leather as well as Codura Nylon. Very comfortable boot. I put a Waterproofing wax on the leather to help preserve it. With care, I hope to get some dry years of Turkey hunting with them.....
"Solo hunter"

Mallard1897

I've always been a rubber boot guy hunting a lot around swamps and river bottoms or crossing tall dewy hay fields. Though recently on longer hikes I think I'd trade even marginally waterproof for whatever is left of my foot in rubber boots. I'm taking note of the better goretex boot reviews on these posts. I'll shell out the money if they last more than a few seasons but it seems there's a lot of marginal boots between entry level and top of the line and they're not cheap either.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BDeal

Quote from: Tom007 on March 08, 2023, 11:27:40 AM
My Danners that I had for almost 10 years finally started leaking. I Replaced them with Irish Setters that lasted about 5 years, then in both pairs the Goretex broke down, actually dried out and broke up. That will happen over time to any Goretex boot, but many years of dry feet was worth it......The Goretex Sharp-tail Danners I have are built with some leather as well as Codura Nylon. Very comfortable boot. I put a Waterproofing wax on the leather to help preserve it. With care, I hope to get some dry years of Turkey hunting with them.....

Mine were Pronghorns. Maybe the sharptails are better. Hopefully they work well for you. I just bought a pair of Crispi Wild Rocks.

Big Jeremy

I've had the most success with Gore-Tex also. It makes my feet hot, though. I've had a few pairs of keens, and the keendry has been pretty good. One of the pairs was the best waterproof hiking boot experience I've had when it comes to staying dry. The other two were slightly behind Gore-Tex experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk