OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fly down

Started by strum, March 07, 2023, 11:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

What  are yall using for a fly down (wing beat) sound?
  Someone said they use a bread sack I thought but I'm old and forget things lol.

SwampRooster17

I will take my hat and smack it against my leg to imitate a fly down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Made my own with a real wing....works great.....
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Quote from: Tom007 on March 07, 2023, 11:38:24 AM
Made my own with a real wing....works great.....
X2 ... works great

Yoder409

Have used a real wing.........my hat.......the unbuttoned flap of my jacket........or nothing at all.

I'm ALL about adding realism to paint the old boy a mental picture. But, I also am a firm believer that they ain't that smart.  IF there are no there hens in the immediate area, I'll likely flap something as I do a fly-down on a diaphragm.  If there ARE other hens, I'll just do my fly-down call when one of the real gals is in the air, dropping out of her tree.  Let her make the noise FOR me.

Add a note :  I don't make any flapping noises AT ALL if the tom could possibly see my set-up.  Early season, before green-up is especially bad.

#1.  He's expecting to be able to see the "hen" and isn't going to.
#2.  He just MAY see ME flailing around with my hat.

Use caution and common sense.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

MK M GOBL

Been using the same wing I made from my first gobbler. I wrapped the bone end in wet tanned deer hide, let it dry and then cut it to fit.

MK M GOBL

guesswho

Old camo pants leg from knee down  Sew one end closed, other open.  Grab each in and pop back and forth in an in and out motion almost like clapping your hands.  Makes a perfect flydown sound.    Also easy to carry, you always have a rag, can be used to put cam-corder etc. in, and when you kill a gobbler you can slide this over his head and neck for a safe carry out while reducing the amount of blood on everything.  Or you can just use a dish towel.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Brwndg

When I do a fly-down, I'll usually use my hat or take off my gloves and slap them on my chest. I had made a wing from a gobblers primaries, but after using it a few times I realized the hat or gloves worked just as good and I didn't have to carry one more thing.
There is a time and a place for it, but I rarely do a fly-down anymore. Normally I don't even call to a gobbler till he's on the ground most times. In the past I've had Toms stay on the limb waiting for the hen he heard fly down to come to him.
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

jhoward11

I use the hat against my leg or the side of blind works really good also.

PharmHunter

Spitten and drummen

I just yell whapp whapp whapp several times in a wing beat cadence. Remember cadence is the most important thing.  :newmascot:
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

stinkpickle

Muzzy61

I've used my hat and a real wing, honestly can't tell the difference. I normally use a  real wing just because it make me feel better...
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

GuideGun

I just use my hat if I am not within sight line of a known roost tree.
Matt

Zobo

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 07, 2023, 01:07:30 PM
Use caution and common sense.

Yes. Be careful with feathers on public! ... or private.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14