Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone have tips for DIY camo on fabric?

Started by SDK, March 07, 2023, 10:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDK

I'm working on fine details for camo and just had a glaring issue come up....

I have a set of Vortex binos with their chest rig. I really like the rig and have my rangefinder attached. Having said that, I now have a large beige square sitting right in the middle of my chest camo. This is fine for deer, but I don't think it will pass muster with sharp eyed turkeys...

I know I can buy different harnesses with camo patterns, but I don't want two rigs, and it just seems like a waste of money if I can do some sort of DIY to my current one.

I have done DIY camo on guns but have zero experience trying to do it with fabric. I'm not thinking spray cans are the way to go lol. I also don't want to be inhaling paint fumes from a fabric box sitting right under my face.

If anyone has done something like this, I would appreciate some advice. Especially on what type of paint/dye/colored pens to use.

Worst case is I totally blow it and then will just replace the harness altogether...

Greg Massey

This isn't much help but could you possibly use a head net in covering it up some way. I also have seen and used these synthetic type pin on leaves you could buy  years ago, but i don't know if they still make these anymore.. I think HS STRUT sold these in a package for turkey hunting.

SDK

Thanks Greg. Both suggestions could potentially be helpful if I can't find a better option, so appreciate the response....

NCL

You might contact Glenda Green with your question. Her work is superb and she would have the knowledge about the fabric. She might even be able to do it for you, although on another thread it was stated she is under the weather.   

Bingoman

Rit dye
It's for clothing. Or you could sharpie some patterns on there with a green and brown marker.

Dtrkyman

Turkeys have no idea what a chest rig is!  Over thinking it in my opinion.

eddie234

IMO it more about movement. People were killing turkey long before camo was invented. I would think if they are close enough to see your bino harness they should already have been shot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SDK

I'm hunting with my 15-year-old son. Not leaving anything to chance but thanks for the opinions.

I will look into the RIT dye. I think I used that stuff back in the day to color some wood AK47 furniture....

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 07, 2023, 01:08:11 PM
Turkeys have no idea what a chest rig is!  Over thinking it in my opinion.

100 percent agree. Old timers hunted in solid earth toned clothes and nearly wiped the turkey out. Camp is nice but really overrated. The key is being still. I know this is not the answer you was wanting but just giving my opinion. The beige chest harness will not cost you a bird as long as you are still and only move at the right time. Same goes for being completely camoed out.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Chordeiles

Like others have mentioned, fabric dye. You can find it on Amazon or your local Walmart.

Zobo

I like the sharpie idea. I used to touch up my grays with a sharpie.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

GobbleNut

Go to Home Depot, Lowes, or similar and buy the sampler containers (I think they are a pint) of flat indoor latex paint mixed in the colors you want to use.  You can apply it directly on fabric or water it down a little.  Works great.  Full strength, it is a bit stiff, but also somewhat water-resistant. 

SDK

Thanks for the help everyone!

I will get this done in the next week or two and post some pictures...