OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Russell Moccasin Question

Started by kytrkyhntr, March 06, 2023, 09:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kytrkyhntr

I was on their website this morning, window shopping. I noticed their turkey hunter boot is labeled at 1,150 bucks. Is that a change? That's a different price than when I last contemplated purchasing. Anyone know?
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Cowboy

Appears like that is correct. Just the normal footwear there is $600 and $700 looks like.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

kytrkyhntr

I am all for an American made quality product. I just can't do 1k boots lol. Guess I should have bought some 5 years ago when I first had the thought. My lacrosse boots will just have to do.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

hunter85

Only oiled leather for waterproofing. At a minimum you would think they would be fully gortex lined. Sorry but to rich for my blood, I will stick with my Chippewa's for a snake boot that will last and get my feet wet.

Ranger

Russell now has new ownership, that must account for the drastic price change.  Have an all leather pair of the Ultra Lite Turkey Hunters going on their 8th season, at $480 they were a steal.  I can wade through creek water with no leaking, and have a snakeproof leather boot that fits as comfortable as a bedroom slipper.  However, at 1K I'd never own a pair, glad I got in when the prices still were within reason compared to their superior quality...no other boots come close.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

wchadw

Quote from: kytrkyhntr on March 06, 2023, 09:32:33 AM
I was on their website this morning, window shopping. I noticed their turkey hunter boot is labeled at 1,150 bucks. Is that a change? That's a different price than when I last contemplated purchasing. Anyone know?
I bought mine 2018? 2019? And they were $600 I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Tom007

Quote from: hunter85 on March 06, 2023, 02:02:04 PM
Only oiled leather for waterproofing. At a minimum you would think they would be fully gortex lined. Sorry but to rich for my blood, I will stick with my Chippewa's for a snake boot that will last and get my feet wet.

X2 here, they look nice, but if it ain't Goretex, it will eventually leak.
"Solo hunter"

Snood Life

WV Ridge Reaper

Quote from: Snood Life on March 07, 2023, 08:16:28 PM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 06, 2023, 03:39:04 PM
Stick with my 20 dollar crocks

I like it :)
They even come in greenleaf now..I should kill way more birds this year!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: hunter85 on March 06, 2023, 02:02:04 PM
If my feet could be comfortable for the first time since 1988 I would give up a years pay.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Howieg

Correct me if I'm wrong , but wouldn't they put new soles on if they went bad ?  Seems I remember that ?
I wore mine for many years , but either my feet grew or they shrunk after time ... awesome boots before they shrunk ,  but mine where not water proof at all . I think mine  got thrown in the burn pile after my home flooded in 2016 .

JordanKBarnes

I've never had a pair but I've heard nothing but bad things from a handful of folks that hunt hard that have a pair.

Jstocks

I think their quality took a beating during Covid. I did a lot of research before buying a pair of zip up turkey hunters, actually my wife bought them for me for my 40th birthday. This was late 2020, and it took 6 months to get them. They literally came in just days before a trip and they lasted less than a week in the woods before the zippers broke. I sent them back for repair, and after months of no word, I finally got someone on the phone who told me they had 1 employee who worked on zippers, the man had an accident, and would not be back to work until the Fall of that year. I offered to exchange them for a pair of South 40's, and they gave me my money back instead.

It's a shame, cause the boots were comfortable. I think I was just late to the game. Now they are under new ownership, and like said above, it would be hard for me to pay that much for a boot I've experienced issues with.

PalmettoRon

I've got several pairs of shoes for everyday use from Russell and 2 pair of boots that were sold specifically for turkey hunting. These shoes are roughly 25 years old and have been resoled multiple times. The original owners were old school and were slow to build these custom fit shoes/boots or resole a shoe or boot, but the comfort and quality was like nothing else.

The company has been sold, the prices have skyrocketed and they have farmed out shoe repairs too.

Russell Moccasin will not survive much longer, I suspect.

Additionally, there are many ultra light weight and waterproof options out there now that are much cheaper and occasionally decently made, so a 1K+ boot makes little sense.