turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey vest and or alternatives

Started by robertsj2221, March 04, 2023, 07:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paboxcall

I still run a RNG 300 for all day hunts, but this is all one really needs for the morning or afternoon.

Yelper on a lanyard, mouth call, long box call holster on the belt (this one is Goretex, spitting rain the morning I took this pic), dump pouch / pants cargo pockets for miscellaneous gear, and a molle water bottle holster.

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

gmbellew

I've tried lots of vest alternatives - fanny packs, sling bags, etc. I keep coming back to a vest for my hunting style. i carry about the same load all season, but the best thing I did was trim down how much I carry in the vest. no reason to be dragging everything you own into the woods. really think about what you use and leave the rest at home.

Tom007

Quote from: paboxcall on March 05, 2023, 12:19:00 PM
I still run a RNG 300 for all day hunts, but this is all one really needs for the morning or afternoon.

Yelper on a lanyard, mouth call, long box call holster on the belt (this one is Goretex, spitting rain the morning I took this pic), dump pouch / pants cargo pockets for miscellaneous gear, and a molle water bottle holster.

Nice set-up
"Solo hunter"

paboxcall

Quote from: Tom007 on March 05, 2023, 12:38:43 PM
Nice set-up

Thanks. The belt uses a magnetic buckle, so it just goes right over my cargo pants. Easy on and off.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Old Timer

Quote from: Tom007 on March 05, 2023, 11:35:22 AM
When I do not wear a vest, I have a few other alternatives, all depending on hunting and weather conditions. One is a Cabelas Speed seat that I modified and added suspenders, and a pot call holder. Great warm weather set up. Also pictured is a chest pack that is light, holds just enough on a rainy day hunt under my rain gear. It is made just for Turkey hunting. Third very minimalist set-up is the belt pack. 2 pouches, the smaller holds license, separated mouth call pocket, and shell loops. The larger pouch fits box, push-pins, etc. This set-up is for real hot days, or when I am on the move. I switch it up through the season.......
very nice Tom! Put some padding for the shoulders and you would have it all!

BDeal

When I do not wear a vest, I have a few other alternatives, all depending on hunting and weather conditions. One is a Cabelas Speed seat that I modified and added suspenders, and a pot call holder. Great warm weather set up. Also pictured is a chest pack that is light, holds just enough on a rainy day hunt under my rain gear. It is made just for Turkey hunting. Third very minimalist set-up is the belt pack. 2 pouches, the smaller holds license, separated mouth call pocket, and shell loops. The larger pouch fits box, push-pins, etc. This set-up is for real hot days, or when I am on the move. I switch it up through the season.......

I love the looks of this turkey chest pack. What is the specific model? I'm just not a fan of the satchels.

Tom007

Quote from: Old Timer on March 05, 2023, 02:31:06 PM
very nice Tom! Put some padding for the shoulders and you would have it all!

The shoulder strap pads adjust up and down...thanks m friend. Be well
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: BDeal on March 06, 2023, 01:26:08 PM

I love the looks of this turkey chest pack. What is the specific model? I'm just not a fan of the satchels.

Outdoor Vision Turkey Chest back, real well set-up, great shoulder straps......good luck.....
"Solo hunter"

C-Train

I also switched from a vest to one of Glenda Green's satchels 2 years ago and love it.

Chordeiles

I'm jumping on the Speed Seat train this year.
I think I'm really going to like it, we'll see.
Most of the time I'm wearing an Ol Tom vestless shirt as well.

Sir-diealot

I have a backpack I love but the plastic clips on it have broken. Every time I go to a yard sale I try to find old broken hunting gear with those clips on them. This year I will be using my camera backpack so I can also bring in my camera gear, thing is going to be interesting though, stands to about my hips.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

WV Flopper

I have a bino rig, two range finder pockets and a water bladder pack. All four items are separate, but seem work it.

Is a lot lighter and cooler than a full vest but I like my vest early season.

Sent from my S62 Pro using Tapatalk

Tom007

"Solo hunter"